PDA

View Full Version : Learning to play guitar.

metallicafan794
September 23rd, 2010, 03:51 PM
Hello i'm Jeremy and i just recently got into guitar playing. I'm 16 and me and my friends are thinking about starting up a band. But the problem is, I can't play guitar to save my life. The other problem i'm currently having is that I bought a right handed guitar(i'm a lefty) and tried to learn to play that way. Well, that didn't work so now i'm selling my guitar and getting a left handed one this weekend. So, when I get it i'm going to need help learning it. Anyone have any tips for a beginner to share?

Eric
September 23rd, 2010, 04:50 PM
Hi Jeremy. I'm sure others will weigh in with better ideas than mine, but if you like Metallica, I might suggest learning some power chords. They're easy and will get you started playing something that is fun and sounds like music.

I think that above all, you have to keep guitar playing fun. It takes time, and if it's miserable, you'll never want to put in the time. Maybe figure out a song your friends want to play and chip away at that until you make some headway.

Regardless, welcome and good luck!

metallicafan794
September 23rd, 2010, 06:32 PM
Sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the info and the warm welcome Eric.

Katastrophe
September 24th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Just take your time, and if you get frustrated, walk away for a minute or two.

I can't stress enough how important timing is for your rhythm playing. Buy a cheap metronome or drum machine. Use it every day!

Start with the basics first, chords and rhythm. There are tons of free lessons on YouTube, and Robert and Mark Wein here have excellent lessons online. Guitar Academy and Moander here teach as well.

If you have something that's frustrating you, post here about it. Someone will help!

Oh, and as a Metallica fan, don't jump into their more complex tunes right away. James has an incredibly efficient picking hand, and some of the longer tunes can drive you nuts figuring out all the nuances of his playing.

Have fun with it!

metallicafan794
September 24th, 2010, 03:17 PM
I am going to try to develop some kind of practice schedule to use for a while. Also, since i'm a huge fan of metallica, if you had to pick some of their easiest songs to learn even just parts of, which songs would they be?

Katastrophe
September 24th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Seek and Destroy

For Whom the Bell Tolls

Enter Sandman

Fuel

Those are the four off the top of my head.

BTW, I'm a lefty that plays righty. It can be done, and I think lefties that play righty have a natural advantage with the most dextrous hand (left!) on the fretboard. It's awkward at first, but you get used to it after some work.

deeaa
September 27th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Welcome Home (Sanitarium) is very easy for the verse, the chorus chord changes are hard(well very fast) but the verse is basically a simple 2-finger chord you move around unchanged. One of the first songs I ever learned, probably the first solo I ever learned. (Rather easy the solo as well). Fade to black has nice basic chords you must learn pretty soon anyway. And yeah, Enter Sandman is the bane of all music store owners everywhere...at least used to be. Simple.

progrmr
December 15th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Am I Evil is a great metallica song - heavy and not too much speed until the 2nd half of the song. Metallica is the band that I first played 25 years ago!

actofgod
January 21st, 2011, 11:02 PM
If you play air guitar lefty, play real guitar lefty. The more natural position is the correct one. It takes more dexterity to pick than to fret.

NC Zeppelin
January 22nd, 2011, 07:20 PM
if it helps, learn some black sabbath, a little bit of old school but the best school haha. helps your fingering and timing also get a style you can pick up on

progrmr
January 23rd, 2011, 07:31 AM
I can't stress enough how important persistence is when picking up the guitar. You have a desire to play - the only left to do is to learn how to play. It's not easy (unless you're a natural of course :) ) and you need to be able to play something over and over and over until you get it right.

It's time consuming and you'll get better over time. There is no feeling like finally getting something down that you struggled with. So be ready to stick with it and put in the time - it'll come.

I'm a lefty too but play right handed. I always have though. You've got to play however it feels natural to you.

Waylanderau
January 26th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Hey dude, good to see another metallica fan on here \m/ I actually have some very cool metal instructional material in digital format. If you're interested PM me and I'll hook you up.
Keep it metal

GREENMACHINE
February 17th, 2011, 07:44 PM
One of the best investments you can get is buy a guitar stand and leave it in your living room (or the place you spend the most time) and you will find yourself always picking it up and practicing

deeaa
February 17th, 2011, 10:30 PM
...and where the kids and pets can knock 'em over and guide you into the art of repairing guitars as well...:-)

psylocke24
March 14th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Welcome Home (Sanitarium) is very easy for the verse, the chorus chord changes are hard(well very fast) but the verse is basically a simple 2-finger chord you move around unchanged. One of the first songs I ever learned, probably the first solo I ever learned. (Rather easy the solo as well). Fade to black has nice basic guitar chords (http://takelessons.com/category/guitar-lessons) you must learn pretty soon anyway. And yeah, Enter Sandman is the bane of all music store owners everywhere...at least used to be. Simple.

I am a newbie too, here in forum and in learning guitar. My friend is teaching me how to play the Enter Sandman by Metallica because they said it is the easiest.

dblacker
March 19th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Truefire.com is a great online resource for learning guitar

iBigalo
June 4th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Dont forget youtube i learn most of my guitar skills from there

FretOvaIt
July 27th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Hey! welcome. definitely go on youtube..there are some helpful vids for beginners. Try twinkle twinkle little star. Then you can try the simple version of Hey There Delilah.

leejohn
December 24th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Truefire looks like a very good site!

richmondbarthon
January 3rd, 2012, 02:21 AM
I also once study to play guitar but unfortunately I wasn't able to learn it due to lots of reason, though I'm very much willing to learn it. I've just have a lot of enthusiasm inside me to learn it and be good at it but time doesn't permit. There's so many available tutorials even online and on youtube so maybe you may start there. You need time and focus for that in order to learn it.

Spinshred
July 9th, 2012, 01:27 AM
I can see you are big fan of mettalica, anyway if you truly want to learn guitar I will suggest that you should do the Chords not just the power chords it's a great stuff for metal but in order to manage your hand to the fretboard you must learn something complex.