PDA

View Full Version : Gigged on the reserve

Robert
September 23rd, 2010, 10:42 PM
Got a call yesterday from a friend about a gig at a Native Reserve not far from here. It was a really nice event. They had a "Harvest Fest" for their families, and we played while people were digging up potatoes and bbq'ing hot dogs.

It was nice weather this evening, but at about 7pm, it got cold... and at 8pm it got dark. My fingers were numb by the end of the gig.

My friend lives on the reserve, and he calls me now and then about having me come play lead guitar with him. These gigs are always interesting!

I took some cell phone photos I can post later.

Spudman
September 23rd, 2010, 11:33 PM
These gigs are always interesting!

I played many gigs on Native lands and yes they can be VERY interesting. Sounds like you really liked it and had a good time. Did they feed you?

Robert
September 24th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Oh yeah, they had a bbq going with lots of good food, and a bonfire. They even brought me coffee on stage. The guy who hired me, he brings really great people to these gigs.

The Stage
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_kmpRYJWvkw0/TJyoU1mM4FI/AAAAAAAACVA/N2TD9jMUSp4/s800/IMG_0208.JPG

The Crowd
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_kmpRYJWvkw0/TJyoViIp0oI/AAAAAAAACVE/Hw_mkum4I18/s800/IMG_0209.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_kmpRYJWvkw0/TJyoWfa7zDI/AAAAAAAACVI/gR9Y2qT6ovc/s800/IMG_0211.JPG

Spudman
September 24th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Spider Valve?

Algonquin
September 24th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Very nice! Looks like a fun event :dance

Robert
September 24th, 2010, 09:38 AM
I used my Reverend Hellhound amp and M9 - the smallest rig I have while still having lots of volume available. The Hellhound can really bark loud if I turn it up.

Tone2TheBone
September 24th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Good to see you helping the indin' bros out!

Robert
September 24th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Yeah, the guys on this reserve like the music we played - it was a really good gig!

helliott
September 26th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Did a few gigs on reserves in Northern Alberta when I lived in Fort McMurray. They were typically pretty good, although had one on a flat bed trailer where there was too much alcohol in the crowd. Usually the vibe was really good though, and the food was great. Venison stew with bannock (sp uncertain) was a favourite of mine.
And boy, I find these fall night gigs are hard on the pinkies. Thinking of trying some gloves with the tips cut off as we have another coming up in a week or so. Great times, love the fire, but the cold -- yikes.

Brian Krashpad
October 13th, 2010, 01:45 PM
That looks great! I've never played or for that matter even been on a reservation (as we call them in the States), at least sfaik. Those pics remind me of a gig I have coming up at the beginning of next month, it will be cool here by then, with a bonfire and outdoor stage. I'm really looking forward to it.

Thanks for sharing.

Robert
October 13th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Yeah, these kinds of outdoor gigs are fun! The guys on this reserve really dig live music too, which is of course great for us.