PDA

View Full Version : SG bridge earthing ?

oldun
September 25th, 2010, 02:47 AM
Anyone got ideas on the SG bridge, some say it should be earthed, if so how, there's no provision, and how would you route the wire, and is it typical that 3 string saddles face the opposite direction, some say they should all face the same way, others dis-agree, I'm confused.

markb
September 25th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Yes you need an earth wire. It usually goes to the either the bridge or tailpiece studs from the control cavity.

It doesn't matter which way the saddles face as long as the bridge will intonate properly. I've had to turn a 3rd string saddle round to get enough travel on more than one guitar.

oldun
September 25th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Yes you need an earth wire. It usually goes to the either the bridge or tailpiece studs from the control cavity.

It doesn't matter which way the saddles face as long as the bridge will intonate properly. I've had to turn a 3rd string saddle round to get enough travel on more than one guitar.

Thanks Markb,
this is my 1st kit build and the wiring instructions are minimal, showing no earth on the bridge or taipiece, it looks like I'll need to drill a small hole from the pup cavity thru to one of the bridge post holes, I assume all you can hope for is the bridge post makes good continuity with the wire under compression when its tapped in on assembly, you would think good provision would be in the design for earthing the strings / bridge, I have never pulled my Strat copy apart so no prior knowledge, thanks again.

markb
September 25th, 2010, 08:20 PM
In a normal strat the earth wire is usually soldered to the tremolo claw. Trapping the wire under a stud is often a better contact.

oldun
September 25th, 2010, 08:44 PM
In a normal strat the earth wire is usually soldered to the tremolo claw. Trapping the wire under a stud is often a better contact.

Thanks again Markb.

gordy_sg_no1
October 1st, 2010, 07:32 PM
i have several sg and its a hole from the bridge to the pup cavity then tracked through the same hole as the pup wires. and as for saddles its realy dependent on the bridge, is manufactures model generaly but alot of the time its just trial and error. if it will intonate ok then leave it if not swap the saddle round.

oldun
October 4th, 2010, 04:19 PM
i have several sg and its a hole from the bridge to the pup cavity then tracked through the same hole as the pup wires. and as for saddles its realy dependent on the bridge, is manufactures model generaly but alot of the time its just trial and error. if it will intonate ok then leave it if not swap the saddle round.

Thanks gordy,
I drilled a hole from the bridge post hole, thru to the bridge pup cavity, not easy because of the sharp angle but done ok, and then as you suggest will put it thru with the pup wires when I get that far, done some pre soldering, between doing the body and neck painting, slow going but just taking my time, when you assemble a kit it makes you appreciate just how much time is spent from start to finish, of course the experts would be very much faster.