PDA

View Full Version : I dusted off my Boss GT10

kiteman
September 25th, 2010, 02:13 PM
And tried it on my Alchemist. All I can say is WoW! :dance

I jammed on it and went through the patches, man the amp served it well. I rewrote the patch Vio Guitar (Violin) so I can pick it faster and it's just sweet. I spent an hour just on that patch.

I've used my Adrenalinn III on it exclusively and it does that well too.

I guess I'm an FX freak because I hardly ever plug my guitar straight in.

Eric
September 25th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I think I've gone in the exact opposite direction lately. I just plug in to the amp almost all of the time and don't use any effects other than the on-board 'verb.

Nice to re-discover an old toy, isn't it? I just got some loaned gear back this past week, and it's been fun playing with the items again.

kiteman
September 25th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Yea, I haven't used it in months. The learning curve on it is rather deep if I ever get the patience to do it. I found my very first MFX pedal, the Zoom G1, now I gonna have to see how that sounds. :)

Spudman
September 25th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Isn't it fun to finally be able to justify not selling an item you've had to force yourself to keep after the hype wore off? :socool I LOVE rediscovering my toys too!:agree

Have you tried running just the modulated effects and delays only into the loop of the amp yet? I bet that might sound good too.

kiteman
September 25th, 2010, 05:50 PM
No, I haven't tried that Spud but the loop is parallel so I may not like it.

It's an idea though, I'll give it a shot.

I want to make sure I do this right:

I plug the guitar into the amp

From send to the guitar input on the MFX

From output of the MFX into return

Correct?

deeaa
September 25th, 2010, 09:55 PM
I think I've gone in the exact opposite direction lately. I just plug in to the amp almost all of the time and don't use any effects other than the on-board 'verb.

Nice to re-discover an old toy, isn't it? I just got some loaned gear back this past week, and it's been fun playing with the items again.

I've been going the 'lock my sound simple' route for live gear for years and years, but I do love rediscovering some pedals and stuff I've forgotten about...except most times I've sold them off already :-(

What I've done I've taken off my amp and FX box knobs and put them back in so that they point to 12' when my settings are dialed in...that way if I do any adjustents, or somebody messes with my settings, or they get messed in transit, I can just dial back in what I use. And I haven't changed my amp settings at all in soon two years, neither the OD settings and the comp, and now that I have the new lead OD and delay, I've only made minor tweaks to them. A few days back I ripped the knobs off those too, and since that I've added gain maybe one 12th of the way and maybe 1/5th more delay mix. But it's getting pretty stable that way too, been ecstatic at band practice w/the sounds. And I only use one pickup on all my guitars too, just 85 bridge :-)

However, I have two old Boss SE-50 units, and I've been going through their patches and even those have some pretty insane patches available. Nothing like the violin sound mentioned, but some weird stuff like pingpong delays and terrific Leslie simulators with lots of control like variable speeds for high and lows and whatnot.

I used to use one of those units for my FX in an amp loop with a MIDI pedal way back in, hm, '91-'93 or so...so I guess I have been sort of rediscovering them now. Only my Ceria has no FX loop, and I can't think of where to use them FX 'live' so it's been just home toying but still interesting.

Eric
September 25th, 2010, 10:07 PM
What I've done I've taken off my amp and FX box knobs and put them back in so that they point to 12' when my settings are dialed in...that way if I do any adjustents, or somebody messes with my settings, or they get messed in transit, I can just dial back in what I use. And I haven't changed my amp settings at all in soon two years, neither the OD settings and the comp, and now that I have the new lead OD and delay, I've only made minor tweaks to them. A few days back I ripped the knobs off those too, and since that I've added gain maybe one 12th of the way and maybe 1/5th more delay mix. But it's getting pretty stable that way too, been ecstatic at band practice w/the sounds. And I only use one pickup on all my guitars too, just 85 bridge :-)
That's a really good idea. I've taken to just memorizing the 'times' (e.g. 2:00 for gain, etc.) on my TM60, but I might take to your 12:00 idea. I hope to eventually have a stable sound so I don't need as many options, but right now I'm still in the fiddling stage.

deeaa
September 25th, 2010, 10:17 PM
It did help me a lot, because it allowed me to go crazy on the settings and not worry about losing the last good sound I had. Easy to work off, because it's much easier to visualize 'a little more bass' from 12' than if you already have it on 3/4th bass or whatever. Somehow I find that the brain tends to tell you how it sounds based on how you see the knob position - if you have it on, say, 3/4th gain you somehow perceive it more gainy if you see the knob in that position first...having 'em at 12 at your base sound really makes it 'neutral', you stop expecting how it _should_ sound based on the knob positions, but instead just make adjustments according to your ears.

Or at least that's how it works for me :-) all I knows is I tweaked my amp ad nauseam for ten years back and forth every day, and doing this has finally gotten me weaned off that habit.