PDA

View Full Version : Pulled the trigger on a new amp - I'm thrilled!

jpfeifer
September 25th, 2010, 04:55 PM
After a lot of searching and testing out of various amps I decided to pull the trigger on the Egnater Rebel 30 combo and a 1x12 extension cab.

It's been a while since I've had an all-tube rig and I've missed having the tube tone. I tried a lot of different amps Carr, Bogner, Line6, Mesa Boogie, Fender, ... but this one came up as the best one for my needs:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Egnater-Rebel30-112-1x12-30W-Tube-Combo-Guitar-Amp?sku=620074

It has an inspiring tone and covers a lot of different sounds. It's small and lightweight, yet packs an amazing punch for it's size.

The main thing that kept me coming back to this amp was the overall feel of the various tones and the ability to get nice blues and rock tones at a reasonable volume. You can set the wattage control for each channel independantly, which helps to get output-tube distortion without having to crank the master volume. I really like the way the amp responds to the way I like to play. Both the clean and the lead channel are very touch sensitive, responding very well to changes in pick attack, etc. This thing is a blues machine for sure, but also works great for getting that Mark Knopfler kind of Stat sound, country, or retro/rockabilly kinds of sounds. The lead channel has a very nice singing quality which I love. It sounds like an old Delux cranked to 10, and cleans up very nicely when you back off on the guitar volume. It wouldn't be a very good amp for heavy metal playing, since it's dialed in to get more of the Fender/Vox tones than anything else, and doesn't hit the insane gain levels needed for a metal sound. But, I really don't play metal styles anyway (too old now :-). It excells at the kinds of sounds I like to use.

It also has a very cool feature in that you can "mix" the amount of 6V6 or EL-34 output usage in the output stage. This is cool for adjusting the amp for more of a British sort of tone of the EL84's versus a more Fender sound of the 6V6s.

I tested the amp at Guitar Center last night for close to 1 hour non-stop. I couldn't stop playing it. I tried a Strat and ES-335 through it and both sounded amazing. This is pretty much how I narrowed my list down to this amp. It doesn't have any built-in effects other than reverb, but it excells as a versatile guitar amp for what I need. It's a great setup for the types of playing that I do more often these days, playing smaller venues, churches, etc.

--Jim

kiteman
September 25th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Good job JP. :dance

Too old to play metal? Not me and I'm 60. :dude

At least I'm not noisy like a lot of bands are, they hurt my ears.

EDIT: by the way, which Bogner you tried out?

oldguy
September 25th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Glad you found your amph, Jim!:applause
Please keep us updated when time allows, and let us know how it goes w/ the Egnater. They get good reviews AFAIK, and seem to be reasonably priced for the features.

player
September 25th, 2010, 06:43 PM
If I had 9 bills to lay out Id jump on it too.ah well what I have will have to work.

Tig
September 25th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Great choice, Jim. Happy new amph day!

As much as I absolutely love the Tweaker, I still think the Rebel 30 is their best amp.

jpfeifer
September 25th, 2010, 10:48 PM
I tried the Bogner Alchemist, and loved that amp also. It was more of a choice for the Egnater based on the tonal options and the size among other things.

There's a lot of great amps out there these days.

--Jim

Eric
September 26th, 2010, 04:40 AM
Cool stuff, Jim! I'm glad you found something you really like.

kiteman
September 26th, 2010, 06:09 AM
I tried the Bogner Alchemist, and loved that amp also. It was more of a choice for the Egnater based on the tonal options and the size among other things.

There's a lot of great amps out there these days.

--Jim

Trouble is the Alchemists are biased cold so you haven't heard the best they can be but they did sound good as they were. When I was looking for an amp there was several on my list including Egnaters and Blackstars so yea, lot of good amps up for grabs. My first choice was the Blackstar HT-40 but the retailers were all sold out and I didn't feel like waiting. :)

I didn't try anything out but researches and demos sold me on the Alchemist (and the Blackstar). I didn't think about tube types but when I got my first taste of 6L6s I found the sound I was looked for. The sound that carried my pedals very well.

jpfeifer
September 26th, 2010, 08:30 AM
The demos of the Alchemist are amazing. That amp get's some killer lead tones for sure. I had tested that amp and it was very close consideration too.

I'd never owned an amp that used 6V6 output tubes, most of my previous amps used 6L6 or EL-34.

With this Egnater amp I have the mix control lets you specify which set of output tubes you want to use (6V6 or EL-84), and suprisingly, there isn't that much difference in the sound unless you have tubes clipping a little bit. The EL-84 sound more British (a little more crunchy and agressive) and the 6V6's sound more smooth and even. I'm kind of prefering the 6V6 sound but it's nice to have both if I need them.

--Jim

sunvalleylaw
September 26th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Cool! Congrats! That amph sounds like it has what I like!

Katastrophe
September 26th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Congrats, Jim!

I'm curious as to how your Strat sounds through that bad boy when it comes in...:dude

MAXIFUNK
September 26th, 2010, 08:57 PM
CONGRATS enjoy it let us have a update once your honeymoon is over.:applause :dude

Robert
September 27th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Congrats, I'd sure like to try one of those amps some day!

Lev
May 12th, 2011, 04:59 AM
Hey Jim,

now with the honeymoon period over how do you feel about this amp? I guess I'm going through many of the same dilemmas you posted about before choosing this amp. I currently have a Hot Rod Deluxe but have never been 100% satisfied using pedals on the clean channel to get overdrive and distortion tones. I've been very impressed with the videos I've seen of this amp (including yours) but I do have a few concerns about the reliability issues I've been reading about.

You had posted some concerns about the clean headroom on this amp before you bought it, how have you found that to be? Can it give a clear clean sound over an acoustic drummer? Also did you change the stock tubes? I'm really looking for something versatile, most of the time this will be used at home but I do get to gig every now and then and need to be able to cover a lot of territory from clean country sounds to classic rock (ACDC, ZZTop etc.). I don't need grinding metal tones but it would be nice to be able to pull off some 80's Whitesnake/Bon Jovi etc. John Mayer type break-up lead tones would be great to have too.

I guess I'm looking for too much but the Rebel 30 and the new Tweaker 40 sound like they might be capable of all this...