PDA

View Full Version : Iron Maiden Flight 666

marnold
September 25th, 2010, 08:17 PM
A couple of weeks ago my wife and I jumped at a sale at Best Buy and got a 42" Plasma for $399. I felt I should get something to show it off a bit, so I got Iron Maiden's "Flight 666" on Blu-Ray. It was done by the same people who did "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey." The documentary is very well done and the video is spectacular. Beside the documentary there is also a "concert" with the complete songs, but each song was from a different stop on the tour. It's a must-own for a Maiden fan. The Blu-Ray really shows what a HD TV is capable of.

FrankenFretter
September 25th, 2010, 09:10 PM
You're speaking my language there, Rev. I've been somewhat less that impressed with my Blu-Ray player, but Avatar sure looked good on Blu Ray. I'll have to check out the Iron Maiden disc. Sounds like something I need to own.

Commodore 64
September 26th, 2010, 05:09 AM
Definitely, it's a great watch. The crowds Maiden still draws at these events a are incredible. At one point, Bruce says something like " The people just come out of the jungle to see us". It's amazing, and they know all the words and everything. The music truly transcends cultural differences.

Next up is Beyond the Lighted Stage by Rush.

Andy
September 26th, 2010, 02:14 PM
have you guys seen the metal documentary about the band.."Anvil"?... if not...must see lol

(several clips on youtube to check out first)

trailer- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF4H8lB2Y_o

helliott
September 26th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Saw some clips from the concert. These guys are real warriors. Gotta get the doc, though not into the Bluray thing yet. Is it honestly worth it? My old player is on its last legs, so ...

msteeln
September 26th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Bluray. Is it honestly worth it? My old player is on its last legs, so ...Seems you need a screen with the highest pix available to get the most out of it, otherwise it's prolly not much better than what you're used to.

FrankenFretter
September 26th, 2010, 07:17 PM
I own the Anvil DVD. Good stuff.

If you get a Blu-Ray player, pray you don't get a lemon like my Samsung. I have had so many problems with it, I wish I'd just stuck to a regullar old DVD player.

marnold
September 26th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Blu-ray players are getting to the price point that there's no reason not to get one, as opposed to getting a new DVD player. We have a PS3, so it was a no-brainer for me. The PS3's upscaling of anamorphic DVD stuff is way better than my old DVD player (of course, it can only output in 480i). One nice thing with this one is that everything is on one disc instead of two. A minor point, but still nice. Basically, if we buy anything new, we're getting it on Blu-ray, but there's really no need for us to re-buy the stuff we already have on DVD. I may change my mind on that when the Star Wars saga is released on Blu-ray.

Slowhand
September 28th, 2010, 12:08 PM
We did an upgrade to are TV etc last year to a full HD tv + Blue-ray,The AV Receiver couldn't handle the higher Grade sound (DTS Master) so I had a new Sony for my birthday. I have a couple of Bluray Disc's (Jeff Beck & ZZ Top)and the sound as well as the picture is superb. They do a good job of upscaling My DVD's as well, Cost a bit more than We wanted to spend but in the end I think it was Worth it.