PDA

View Full Version : Are comps *always* noisy?

tot_Ou_tard
October 20th, 2006, 07:48 PM
I do not own any pedals. the only effects I have are the ones built in to my Tonelab and AD30VT. I sometimes like to add a little to the mix, but boy does it bring da noise. I could turn the noise reduction up, but I prefer the tone with it off.

Is this just a problem with comps because they raise the amplitude on the softer sounds? Or is a property of the Vox comps?

Spudman
October 20th, 2006, 10:01 PM
I do not own any pedals. the only effects I have are the ones built in to my Tonelab and AD30VT. I sometimes like to add a little to the mix, but boy does it bring da noise. I could turn the noise reduction up, but I prefer the tone with it off.

Is this just a problem with comps because they raise the amplitude on the softer sounds? Or is a property of the Vox comps?

Maybe the output level for the Comp patch is way high. That is really the only time I get noise from a comp. They are pretty quiet usually. You might also look into where it is placed in the effect chain. If it is last or far down the line from the guitar it will amplify noise from other effects. It is usually best right after the guitar like first or second in the chain. I don't know if the Tonelab lets you move them or not. But if you can, change the order and turn the output level down on the Comp patch. See if that helps.

SuperSwede
October 21st, 2006, 12:39 AM
The pedal effects (compressor) is always first on the tonelab. I dont have problems with noise when using the compressor, but if you set it too high it will pick up noise. Try lowering the sustain and volume a bit.

tot_Ou_tard
October 21st, 2006, 06:07 AM
Yeah the comp is always first in line.

I don't have to turn the sensitivity (compression threshold) up too much to get noise. I'll try turning the output level down.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, turning the output level down does control the noise.

Thanks