View Full Version : SED SV6L6GC vs Black Sable SED 6L6GC

kiteman
September 27th, 2010, 12:24 PM
What's the diff?

SED SV6L6GC - $54.95
http://www.tubedepot.com/sv-6l6gc.html

Black Sable SED 6L6GC -$84.95
http://www.tubedepot.com/bsct-6l6gc-sed.html

I've read that the Black Sable tubes are Cryogenetically (sp?) treated. So they freeze the butts off these tubes but what makes them better? $30 better?

I figured that once they're back to normal temp they're the same ol same ol.

duhvoodooman
September 27th, 2010, 12:36 PM
What's the diff?.
$30 per tube. ;)

I've read that the Black Sable tubes are Cryogenetically (sp?) treated. So they freeze the butts off these tubes but what makes them better? $30 better?
Must be the "magic mojo treatment"! :rolleyes: IMO, cryogenic treatment = mumbo-jumbo BS to part you from more of your money....

guitarhack
September 27th, 2010, 12:38 PM
I remember cryogenically treated softball bats when my daughters played softball. Supposedly the freezing treatment causes the molecules to align, enhancing performance.

tunghaichuan
September 27th, 2010, 12:56 PM
The burning questions in my mind are:

Does cryogenically treating tubes actually do anything? (and if so, what exactly does it do?)

If cryogenically treating a tube does something, is is possible to hear a difference? In a double blind test?

I would guess that the answer for the first set of questions is "maybe" and no for the second set. I remain skeptical.

kiteman
September 27th, 2010, 01:09 PM
What I figured, snake oil. :)

sumitomo
September 27th, 2010, 01:39 PM
There better cause the glass didn't crack,now when it get's heated up only you will know when it cracks.LOL!! I know it works good on metal,I have brake rotors on my race car's and they are way better that the stock one's,but glass I don't know?Sumi:D but you bought it your stuck with it.

Radioboy950
September 27th, 2010, 01:45 PM
What I figured, snake oil. :)

Yep...good call.

But don't be afraid to try the $50 pair. I think they're among the best sounding 6L6 tubes oout there.

Bloozcat
September 27th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I've followed this cryo debate for some time now and the prevailing opinion among the materials science engineers is that it's smoke and mirrors...at least when it comes to vacuum tubes. Now, if you're talking about aircraft, then that's a different story.

Here's a nice, concise explanation from one of the afore mentioned materials science people:

Been watching this one with amusement - I was a materials engineer in a previous life - quite involved with phase stability in high radiation environments. With rare exceptions, changes in metal structure tend to happen at temperatures considerably above room temp, not lower (one of the main exceptions is steel - where the changes affect the mechanical structures). In general, changes slow down as the temperature decreases, speed up as it increases. One thing totally ignored by all the cryo claims is that tubes operate considerably above room temp - if there were any changes induced at cryo temps, they'd anneal out at operating temperatures.

For my money I'd go here and pick up a pair that's matched within 1 mA for $56.00:
http://www.kcanostubes.com/content/winged-c-sed-6l6gc-singles-pairs-quartets-sale-priced

Radioboy950
September 27th, 2010, 02:38 PM
For my money I'd go here and pick up a pair that's matched within 1 mA for $56.00:
http://www.kcanostubes.com/content/winged-c-sed-6l6gc-singles-pairs-quartets-sale-priced

Done business there...very good.:thumbsup
Doug's place too.

kiteman
September 27th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I have an account at Tubedepot so that's where I'll get it. :)

kiteman
October 2nd, 2010, 07:49 AM
Now in shipment, should get it on the 6th. :hungry

I don't really need 'em as the GTs sounds good but I'm curious about the SEDs so only one way to find out.

kiteman
October 6th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Well, I got 'em and wow, they're good. I biased 'em at 65-66% and they have a huskier sound compared to the CHPs (biased at 60%). I like 'em but I like the CHPs too. They're both good.