PDA

View Full Version : Almost OT - NMD! New monitors day

deeaa
September 27th, 2010, 11:56 PM
I finally got proper near-field monitors for my music corner.

I've been using AKG Monitor 240 headphones and old big B&W speakers with a Yamaha sub for working on mixes, plus a cheap 3-way computer speaker system to make sure it sounds OK with 'low end' system, but now I finally got good near-fields, KRK Rockit 5 actives. It should really help me mixing stuff and notice problems much better.

Now if I can only clean enough space in my corner to place the damned things...:-)

guitarhack
September 28th, 2010, 04:27 AM
Congratulations on the new monitors! I've been looking at those too. They get pretty good reviews from most sources I've seen and are reasonably priced, too.

deeaa
September 29th, 2010, 10:55 PM
I'm SO glad I finally got proper monitors. It's more like mixing with headphones, only the distance allows for much more volume without it becoming tiring or annoying, and you simply just pick up so much more stuff. I immediately noticed some hisses and pops and noise I hadn't heard at all with headphones and normal speakers. Also it's amazing how low a bass these small thingies emit...been smiling all night correcting my mixes now.

Paid 200€ for them slightly used like new, and kicking myself over the head for not getting proper nearfield monitors before now. The big B&W's are good speakers and OK to mix with, but proper, revealing nearfields just make things so much easier both to do and find, but also on the ears.