PDA

View Full Version : I went hunting last week.....first time in 30 years!

Perfect Stranger
September 28th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Almost had one...but I lost him!

http://i54.tinypic.com/2ed1tug.jpg

MAXIFUNK
September 28th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Never really bonded with being in the the woods with drunk dudes with guns and some of those dudes being supper red necks not a good mix at all no matter how much my Dad tried to make love it as much as him.

Perfect Stranger
September 28th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Whoaaa...who invited Buzz Killington? http://i51.tinypic.com/2hye7vd.jpg

Actually, I quit hunting when it dawned on me that they sell better meat, already processed,
already packaged, and in some cases already aged.....at the grocery store. Too many times
I've found my shivering *utt in the top of a tree, with it sleeting or raining ice, wondering WTF
I was thinking when I decided to do this.

Plus, when I had children I sold all my guns. Used to collect them instead of guitars....I like
guitars better.....and it's more comfortable.

Bloozcat
September 28th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Never really bonded with being in the the woods with drunk dudes with guns and some of those dudes being supper red necks not a good mix at all no matter how much my Dad tried to make love it as much as him.

I think this is the actual definition of the word stereotype in the Websters Dictionary. ;)

That's too bad your experiences with hunting were like this MAXIFUNK. With the right group of guys it's a lot of fun.

While I've known many a drunk who hunts, I've not known many serious hunters who hunt with them...at least not more than once. It's one reason why I don't hunt on public land anymore.

Too bad you've never had the experience of hunting with me, my friends, and family members, MAXIFUNK. You'd work your *** off all day hunting, come back to camp after dark tired, hungry, and sober with or without a deer. And by the time all the weapons were unloaded and put away for the evening you'd be ready for a beer or two, some much needed food, and an evening of BS stories and lies from those who got nothing that day...

Tone2TheBone
September 28th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I still think "hunting" from a treestand is not real hunting but maybe I digress. Bloozcat's description of what a real hunt is couldn't be more accurate.

Heywood Jablomie
September 28th, 2010, 02:34 PM
I think hunting would be OK if hunters had to do it with their bare hands.

Robert
September 28th, 2010, 03:26 PM
I hunt for deals online every single day! :)

Perfect Stranger
September 28th, 2010, 04:06 PM
The only "fun" part of hunting to me is the camaraderie. All the rest is work....hard work.

Bloozcat
September 28th, 2010, 06:35 PM
I think hunting would be OK if hunters had to do it with their bare hands.

And I think eating would be OK if eaters had to hunt their own food.

Boy, now that would sure save the planet, with all of those second and third order predators and scavengers dying off!

:D

MAXIFUNK
September 28th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Whoaaa...who invited Buzz Killington? http://i51.tinypic.com/2hye7vd.jpg

Actually, I quit hunting when it dawned on me that they sell better meat, already processed,already packaged, and in some cases already aged.....at the grocery store. Too many times I've found my shivering *utt in the top of a tree, with it sleeting or raining ice, wondering WTF
I was thinking when I decided to do this.

Plus, when I had children I sold all my guns. Used to collect them instead of guitars....I like guitars better.....and it's more comfortable.

All I can think about some freezing day in the Canadian Rockies looking for Elk and saying Dad can we go back to the RV or Cabin. I hated it. LOL
But I did learn how to shoot guns pretty darn good but to this day still can not out shoot my middle sister.

deeaa
September 28th, 2010, 10:10 PM
We have to hunt for elk here, because if we didn't there would be like half a million of 'em running round and causing car accidents. I've never hunted for anything else, though. And not elk either for many years.

But a little later, I will join a hunting group again and start elk hunting to pull my weight in reducing their number...three times I myself have almost hit one in my car, they really need to be hunted to keep in check. Plus the meat is great tasting!

MAXIFUNK
September 28th, 2010, 10:39 PM
I think this is the actual definition of the word stereotype in the Websters Dictionary. ;)

That's too bad your experiences with hunting were like this MAXIFUNK. With the right group of guys it's a lot of fun.

While I've known many a drunk who hunts, I've not known many serious hunters who hunt with them...at least not more than once. It's one reason why I don't hunt on public land anymore.

Too bad you've never had the experience of hunting with me, my friends, and family members, MAXIFUNK. You'd work your *** off all day hunting, come back to camp after dark tired, hungry, and sober with or without a deer. And by the time all the weapons were unloaded and put away for the evening you'd be ready for a beer or two, some much needed food, and an evening of BS stories and lies from those who got nothing that day...

Not a stereo type at all (I stated some not all) I can count well over 15 times there was drama when we ran across some fellas who thought all brothers did was play basketball. LMAO Even a couple of stray bullets whizzing pass us to try and scare us/him off. Once in North Dakota someone shot his kill while he was carry it back to camp. He said they where a good enough shot where they could have shot him or his friends.
People can be .............................

It got to the point where my Dad would only hunt on private property in the USA. He had the funds to go hunt anywhere he wanted in the world and did. Firearms, Bow hunting, Cross Bow, Elk, Duck, Deer, Buffalo, Ram, Turkey, Quail, Rabbits, Wild boar, and even Bear I think when it was legal in Michigan in the 70's. Walk miles, sat in trees, climb heights below zero, on ice, ETC. ETC. He even went on a African Safari on private lands to hunt. He and his best friends loved it. Hunting, Fishing, Boating, Kayaking. Kayaking now that I did fall in love with. I have my own custom build ocean and river kayaks.

He never drank nor allowed anyone to drink when any weapon was being used. Although Ice Fishing that was another matter all together. LOL
He gave away all the meat from all of his kills he did not eat anything that walked on land he just love to hunt.

I hunted with him all over North America I know people love to hunt I've just never bonded to it based my own life experiences.

Perfect Stranger
September 29th, 2010, 07:38 AM
After trying to put together this new gas grill, I may just become vegetarian! :thwap

Bloozcat
September 29th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Not a stereo type at all (I stated some not all) I can count well over 15 times there was drama when we ran across some fellas who thought all brothers did was play basketball. LMAO Even a couple of stray bullets whizzing pass us to try and scare us/him off. Once in North Dakota someone shot his kill while he was carry it back to camp. He said they where a good enough shot where they could have shot him or his friends.
People can be .............................

It got to the point where my Dad would only hunt on private property in the USA. He had the funds to go hunt anywhere he wanted in the world and did. Firearms, Bow hunting, Cross Bow, Elk, Duck, Deer, Buffalo, Ram, Turkey, Quail, Rabbits, Wild boar, and even Bear I think when it was legal in Michigan in the 70's. Walk miles, sat in trees, climb heights below zero, on ice, ETC. ETC. He even went on a African Safari on private lands to hunt. He and his best friends loved it. Hunting, Fishing, Boating, Kayaking. Kayaking now that I did fall in love with. I have my own custom build ocean and river kayaks.

He never drank nor allowed anyone to drink when any weapon was being used. Although Ice Fishing that was another matter all together. LOL
He gave away all the meat from all of his kills he did not eat anything that walked on land he just love to hunt.

I hunted with him all over North America I know people love to hunt I've just never bonded to it based my own life experiences.

From the way your original post was written it sounded like you were hunting with these irresponsible rednecks as a part of your hunting party, and not just occupying the same woods with them. What you describe is far worse. It especially disgusts me when one group of sportsmen don't recognize another group as part of their fraternity in the field. But, I am expecting that they are responsible sportsmen in the first place and act like it. But, as you say, people can be...................

Your father sounds like the kind of man who I'd enjoy hunting with. I also understand that hunting isn't for everyone. What's important to remember is that your father shared with you something that was an important part of his life. Not all kids are that fortunate growing up.

As a side note MAXIFUNK: I grew up playing basketball. Every day, anytime, even shoveling snow off courts so we could play (and my aging knees remind me every day!). When I first moved to my area of Florida nobody here ever played. The local courts were always empty and none were lit. Sooo, I used to go to the black area of town where the basketball courts were always full and well lit. As I said, I loved basketball and it wasn't like playing with black people was something new to me. I had been doing it most of my basketball life. But it apparently was somewhat of a novelty for them in this town to have a white guy show up to play. They assumed that certain stereotypes they grew up with were true. I loved seeing the looks on their faces when they found out that some white men can jump...and were pretty fast too....:D

Maybe I see things a little differently, but I've always felt that sports, whether they be athletic or not, is a place where people meet on common ground to share something they're passionate about...kind of like the reason we're all here...our passion for music.

Eric
September 29th, 2010, 09:47 AM
I dunno. My dad and I got some shotguns when I was a teenager, but all we ever ended up shooting is clay pigeons, and we didn't do that very well either. It's not that were opposed to hunting pheasants, but just that we never had time to do it during the season.

BTW, hopefully I can say this without causing a fuss, but justifying a stereotype/discrimination by giving an example of another stereotype is never a valid practice. I thought everyone understood that.

Bloozcat
September 29th, 2010, 11:34 AM
BTW, hopefully I can say this without causing a fuss, but justifying a stereotype/discrimination by giving an example of another stereotype is never a valid practice. I thought everyone understood that.

I should think that perpetuating a stereotype is bad form. Stereotypes are nothing more than perceptions that people hold out of ignorance. Now before the use of the word "ignorance" gets challenged, we are all ignorant to some degree simply because not a one of us knows everything. Ignorance just means that one doesn't have the necessary knowledge to understand. Clinging to ignorance after one has been enlightened by knowledge is what's reprehensible. In the same way, clinging to a stereotype after having been edified is likewise reprehensible.

Just how was I "justifying a stereotype/discrimination" here in my use of another stereotype as an example? I was merely pointing out that we all have certain stereotypes. It was clear from MAXIFUNKS later reply that he was referring to acts of hatred committed by outsiders towards him and his group and not him merely perpetuating a stereotype. My example was not one of "discrimination" at all. Those guys I played with never tried to prevent me from playing with them. It was a case where a wall or stereotype was broken down by knowledge. What had been a stereotype became a running joke between us every time I did something that further destroyed the old myth that they once believed. To their credit they recognized this and learned from it. We should all be so gracious when we find out we've been wrong about something. Again, it was a coming together of two groups of people over the common love of something shared.

BTW Eric: No fuss, just trying to clarify my point further.

Eric
September 29th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I wasn't talking about your point. I may have misread it, but what I got out of the earlier post (by someone other than you) was that some hunters made remarks about black people hunting, which was used to justify the generalization of hunters.

Bloozcat
September 29th, 2010, 12:35 PM
I wasn't talking about your point. I may have misread it, but what I got out of the earlier post (by someone other than you) was that some hunters made remarks about black people hunting, which was used to justify the generalization of hunters.

Sorry, Eric...my mistake....I misinterpreted your response. I just wrote a long (and typically wordy) explanation for nothing...;)

To me their all just hunters.....

Algonquin
September 29th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Almost had one...but I lost him!

http://i54.tinypic.com/2ed1tug.jpg
Very entertaining image Jim :applause

Eric
September 29th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Sorry, Eric...my mistake....I misinterpreted your response. I just wrote a long (and typically wordy) explanation for nothing...;)

To me their all just hunters.....
It's all good. I do love autumn and everything that comes with it. Well, except for all of the rain out here on the east coast... :(

MAXIFUNK
September 29th, 2010, 01:57 PM
From the way your original post was written it sounded like you were hunting with these irresponsible rednecks as a part of your hunting party, and not just occupying the same woods with them. What you describe is far worse. It especially disgusts me when one group of sportsmen don't recognize another group as part of their fraternity in the field. But, I am expecting that they are responsible sportsmen in the first place and act like it. But, as you say, people can be...................

Your father sounds like the kind of man who I'd enjoy hunting with. I also understand that hunting isn't for everyone. What's important to remember is that your father shared with you something that was an important part of his life. Not all kids are that fortunate growing up.

As a side note MAXIFUNK: I grew up playing basketball. Every day, anytime, even shoveling snow off courts so we could play (and my aging knees remind me every day!). When I first moved to my area of Florida nobody here ever played. The local courts were always empty and none were lit. Sooo, I used to go to the black area of town where the basketball courts were always full and well lit. As I said, I loved basketball and it wasn't like playing with black people was something new to me. I had been doing it most of my basketball life. But it apparently was somewhat of a novelty for them in this town to have a white guy show up to play. They assumed that certain stereotypes they grew up with were true. I loved seeing the looks on their faces when they found out that some white men can jump...and were pretty fast too....:D

Maybe I see things a little differently, but I've always felt that sports, whether they be athletic or not, is a place where people meet on common ground to share something they're passionate about...kind of like the reason we're all here...our passion for music.

Sports and music tend to be areas were skill & talent is accepted by all.
As far as B-Ball skills goes sounds like your way better than I ever was. LOL
Football Track and Field is were I excelled. I had a good shot but at only 5'10" and no hops it was a good I was stronger than everyone grab and hold Wes Unsled style was my game. LOL I've been dunk many times just too short to stop a real B-baller.
Sports will quickly wipe out preconceived notions with the quickness.

Bloozcat
September 29th, 2010, 02:24 PM
It's all good. I do love autumn and everything that comes with it. Well, except for all of the rain out here on the east coast... :(

I hate to be the bearer of bad new, Eric. But it looks like Tropical Storm Nicole which is dumping a lot of rain on us right now, is headed your way in a few days.

It's barely a tropical storm but it's definitely a rain maker. We need the rain, but you don't. I remember how it rains in your area. My last stop before coming to Florida was Burlington County NJ which is right accross the river from Philly.