PDA

View Full Version : NAGD (New Acoustic Guitar Day)

Robert
September 28th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Some of you may have noticed that I mentioned Norman guitars a couple of times.

Well, it so happens I have one now. :dance

My friend Jaron bought a good one, but he didn't like the sound of it, so I gave him my (crappier) SX acoustic, plus gave him some extra dough, and the deal is closed.

I really like this guitar. It sounds quite nice acoustically I think (Jaron has very specific needs, or he is picky). I haven't even plugged it in to any amp or board yet, but I have read up on the Fishman system in this guitar - it is apparently very good.

It is very easy to play. Quite thin neck and a lot more comfortable than my SX. The intonation is dead on, which I'm not used to with an acoustic! This is a quality guitar, in my opinion. Maybe not a high end Taylor or Martin, but for what these sell for, it's excellent.

The main features of the Norman STUDIO ST40 CW GT PREFIX include:

Beautifully built instrument that produces wonderful mellow tones, ideal for more intimate musical settings
Solid Cedar Top
Gloss top
Precision Neck Attachment enables sound vibrations to travel unimpeded between the heel of the neck and the guitar's body
Three-layer mahogany-cherry-mahogany wood lamination back and sides
Honduras Mahogany neck
Rosewood fingerboard
Rosewood bridge with fully compensated saddle
High-ratio sealed tuning machines
Real wood rosettes
Double-action truss rods
Custom Tusq nut
Built-in Fishman Prefix Pro pickup system, with 4-band graphic EQ, notch filter and phase control

My model is no longer in production, but it looks like this. I will need to invest in a case too... don't want to bust this guitar.

http://www.nantelmusique.ca/repository/product/ST40CWgt4t.jpg

Spudman
September 28th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Sweet. Congratulations.

sunvalleylaw
September 28th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Nice! It looks like a honey!

hubberjub
September 28th, 2010, 05:35 PM
That's great Robert. I've heard good things about Norman guitars.

Tig
September 28th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Made in Canada! :canada:

Looks sweet.
Can't wait to see/hear a demo.

Robert
September 29th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Yeah, it's nice alright. I can't wait to plug it into a PA. I guess I could plug into my computer and record something for y'all?

The ease of playing this guitar is amazing. Almost like playing an electric, in terms of playability and feel.

Eric
September 29th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Very nice, Robert! I'm glad to see you're delving into the LaSiDo brand; they have nice stuff.

Robert
September 29th, 2010, 09:51 AM
LaSiDo? What is that?

Heywood Jablomie
September 29th, 2010, 09:52 AM
LaSiDo? What is that?
http://www.lasido.com/

Robert
September 29th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Ahh, ok I see!

Lasido - sounds like an eye surgery or body lotion! :D

Algonquin
September 29th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Congrats!

A case and a humidifier are an absolute must!
http://oasishumidifiers.com/index.html

Just one example... lot's to choose from, but make sure you get one soon.

Robert
September 29th, 2010, 10:08 AM
You know, I don't know much about how to care for an acoustic. A humidifier is very important, you say? Or else what can happen?

Algonquin
September 29th, 2010, 10:14 AM
A solid top like yours needs humidification. You're ok in the summer, but an Alberta winter will kick the living crap out of your nice guitar.

Have a look at this Larrivee link... lot's of good stuff on why you need to properly maintain a solid top guitar like yours.

http://www.larrivee.com/features/humidity.php

Heywood Jablomie
September 29th, 2010, 10:16 AM
You know, I don't know much about how to care for an acoustic. A humidifier is very important, you say? Or else what can happen?
Guitar humidification is another of those areas where there is little agreement. I have owned and played many very old guitars (in and from varying areas of climate) that were never kept in climate control, yet were in perfect condition. Recently, a friend got a 70s Yamaha classical that's been stored in a central California attic for many years. Nothing wrong with it, whatsoever.

My thoughts are that, unless you live in the desert, humidification is unnecessary, and over-humidification may be even worse.

Algonquin
September 29th, 2010, 10:20 AM
My thoughts are that, unless you live in the desert, humidification is unnecessary, and over-humidification may be even worse.

The difference is with a solid top (and sides and back) If your guitar is of a laminated construction, then the humidification is not such and issue.

If yours has a solid top, you are best to use a humidity device.

Heywood Jablomie
September 29th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Being that Robert's new guitar is a Godin, I find it interesting that the company mentions the potential problem of protruding fret ends

This is not nearly as big a problem as some people make it out to be. Once again the culprit here is humidity. In the case of the protruding fret edges this is because the fingerboard has dried out slightly and shrunk. The frets are metal (nickel/silver) and do not shrink from a change in humidity. The problem is easily fixed by a good guitar tech with a file.

Yet, there is no mention regarding humidification.

Kazz
October 6th, 2010, 05:33 AM
A Planet Waves in case humidifier is a must have.

sunvalleylaw
October 6th, 2010, 08:21 AM
The difference is with a solid top (and sides and back) If your guitar is of a laminated construction, then the humidification is not such and issue.

If yours has a solid top, you are best to use a humidity device.

I echo this. Get an inexpensive Hygrometer from Walmart or Target or somewhere. You can keep it in your case. Then you can keep the humidity say at 45 to 50%. You can use the purpose built humidifiers as others have suggested, or just a kitchen sponge in a plastic bag with holes cut in it. Just dampen the sponge, then wring it out thoroughly. You can stick it behind the top of the body of the guitar, or just in the little case inside the case. That should be enough. You live in the intermountain climes, and I would be you might want to do this at least during the winter.

I read up about it quite a bit when I got my Martin. Wild fluctuations are not the best, so you don't want to be keeping your guitar at like 60-65% and then pulling it out and playing in 35%. But keeping a little moisture in the case, or in a guitar closet if you are like Dreadman or some other acoustic guys here, is a good thing. Doesn't hurt to have a humidifier in your playing room too during winter when the heat is on. But I would not stress about it too hard. I still use a room humidifier in the winter when the heat is on and it is skin cracking dry in the house, and a sponge in the case as I describe above.

Here are a couple threads where humidification was discussed.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=6240

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=14056

Robert
October 6th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Let's start a new thread on humidifiers instead. Hijackers... ;)

sunvalleylaw
October 6th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Let's start a new thread on humidifiers instead. Hijackers... ;)

Ok, but . . .

you did ask . . . :poke ;) :AOK