PDA

View Full Version : SD or EMG tele noiseless pickups?

Duffy
September 28th, 2010, 07:34 PM
I am thinking about replacing the stock pups in my new MIM Standard tele with one of these two options:

1. The Seymour Duncan STK-T2 hot single coil noiseless stack bridge and its neck counterpart, the STK-T1 stacked single coil noiseless neck pup.

2. The EMG T active telecaster set, with pots, etc.

I want to install noise cancelling pups in my standard tele because it hisses something terrible when plugged into a cranked ultra high gain amp. I would like to retain some of the telecaster sound without the noise. I also plan on leaving my Fender Nashville tele with the tex mex pickups stock for the traditional tele sound, noise and all.

Any ideas concerning these above pickups would be appreciated from anyone who has personal knowledge of either of them in a tele. Of course, other suggestions, and theoretical ideas are also welcome.

But especially, if you have experience with either of these pickup sets above would you mind sharing your experience and ideas. I always like to hear what others have personally experienced with pickups before I make my own decision.

The SD's would definitely look great and the chrome covered neck pup would retain some of the classic look, but the covered EMGs would look plenty good as well.

Any ideas?

hubberjub
September 28th, 2010, 08:15 PM
I think a cranked high-gain amp is going to his with noiseless pickups too. That's just the nature of the beast. If you're going to replace your pickups active vs. passive is a very subjective matter. I tend to lean more toward passive pickups especially with humbuckers while Deeaa swears by actives. I really like the sound of active single coils though. David Gilmour sounds amazing with them. They have a really clean tone that cuts through effects well.

MAXIFUNK
September 28th, 2010, 10:52 PM
I just meet and I mean just meet someone like this weekend with EMG'S in his American special HSS Strat & Tele. He did not play them with lots of hi-gain I.E. modern metal but he did play some hard 70's & 80's rock Rush, Zep, AC/DC, EVH, and he sounded damn good to my ears. But to be honest I do not know if they where active or passive. I asked what kind of pups he was using and he said EMG I thought they where Lace senors at 1st.

Duffy
September 29th, 2010, 03:25 AM
Them strat and tele EMGs tend to be actives. The only tele one I know of is active single coils, noiseless.

Vince Gill has EMG SA's I believe in that black strat you see him playing on the "Crossroads" video. So I imagine that he has a pretty good rig. Supposedly he has the presence circuit hooked into one of the tone controls and a master tone instead of two tone controls. This circuit supposedly lets you get almost a humbucker sound out of the active single coils. I don't know if the tele has the presence control available. I suppose you could put one in if you really wanted one. A set of those EMG SA's would be nice in a strat, but they are not cheap. Then again you get what you pay for with pickups, for the most part.

My ultra high gain tube amp is very hiss free with humbuckers even when turned way up, unlike some high gain tube amps I've tried. I look for this important quality to me. No need for a lot of extraneous unpleasant noise, especially with a fairly expensive amp.