PDA

View Full Version : OT: Acquaintance has EEE, scary stuff...!

poodlesrule
September 29th, 2010, 01:57 PM
A friend of a friend contracted EEE, that is Eastern equine encephalitis virus, usually carried by mosquitoes.

Said friends all engage on a beer-related forum, and having been away from that forum for a while, I discovered the situation today. Massive brain swelling, loss of sensory inputs, etc.
A friend of his is relating what he observes from the hospital to the forum: I do not remember being so scared as I was after reading the extent of the damage inflicted to the individual. Up to a few days ago, it was a great day when he would open an eye for two seconds for the day, without even being able to focus.

We are all hoping for the best, but the recovery will take a long, long time. We will be have mini fundraiser/brew day locally, as family is without disability insurance.

If you do not have any disability coverage, you may think about it.

deeaa
September 30th, 2010, 02:55 AM
Damn that does sound pretty horrific.

You never know what's gonna hit you...better live like any day could be the last.
Stuff like that virus is exactly why I don't bother aspiring too much in any way or form, I'll just enjoy life to the full right now right here.

Bloozcat
September 30th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Yeah, it's an awful virus. We get human EEE cases down here occasionally, but it's usually confined to the horse population. We also see Dengue Fever, West Nile Virus, SLE and even had a couple of cases of Malaria back in 1996. Lots of hungry mosquitos here...

I hope the best for your friend. I can only imagine what his family is going through.