PDA

View Full Version : Amph orgasm

Radioboy950
September 29th, 2010, 06:56 PM
The "guitar face" says it all here folks.
HUGE tone in a small box.
My goodness, I need one of these.

MO9kBcgvvfc

sumitomo
September 29th, 2010, 08:58 PM
You ain't kiddin',So many amph's so little money,Man now I'm got GAS,that Mesa,that sweet Victoria,and now this Z,crap!!! Sumi:D

deeaa
September 29th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Hm, not bad at all. Pretty excellent singing lead tone. But, I never felt it was hard to get that, my Ceria for instance screams and sustains/feedbacks forever just like this thingy. BUT the challenge lies in how to make the amp do that and also stay tight and focused in rhythm. All the rhythm played here is just as in this kind of amps usually, a big 'blaaarrrbbb' with no focus or tightness at all, maybe fine for blues but sucks big time for anything else.

But a great lead tone, yep. Maybe a solidbody with EMG's would bring enough clarity and bite to the rhythm to make this sound good in that as well? I can only guess.

Eric
September 30th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Hm, not bad at all. Pretty excellent singing lead tone. But, I never felt it was hard to get that, my Ceria for instance screams and sustains/feedbacks forever just like this thingy. BUT the challenge lies in how to make the amp do that and also stay tight and focused in rhythm. All the rhythm played here is just as in this kind of amps usually, a big 'blaaarrrbbb' with no focus or tightness at all, maybe fine for blues but sucks big time for anything else.

But a great lead tone, yep. Maybe a solidbody with EMG's would bring enough clarity and bite to the rhythm to make this sound good in that as well? I can only guess.
You know, I'm starting to get what you mean by this. I think the deceiving part is that when playing by myself, I actually love that sort of roaring chord sound. The problem is that it isn't the most practical band sound.

Bloozcat
September 30th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Mike Zaite's been making great amps for years now, and this one is just another example.

It may get pretty much one variable tone, but oh, what a tone it is!

Robert
September 30th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Hmm, I think I can do something similar with my Marshall Class 5 and Hagstrom Viking... lemme see... ;)

Heywood Jablomie
September 30th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Hmm, I think I can do something similar with my Marshall Class 5 and Hagstrom Viking... lemme see... ;)
You mean you can make the same faces???

deeaa
September 30th, 2010, 09:14 AM
You know, I'm starting to get what you mean by this. I think the deceiving part is that when playing by myself, I actually love that sort of roaring chord sound. The problem is that it isn't the most practical band sound.

Exactly! Works superb for a guitar hero whose sound dominates the whole band, but not the best for normal rhythm etc. And I do also like a big chord sound, and I do that mostly by playing full chords and sweeping through them just slightly slower so they really ring out.

Andy
September 30th, 2010, 09:35 AM
the majority of that sustain is no doubt from the hollowbody... a friend of mine had an old danelectro hollow with lipstick pickups ,,,good grief, that thing would not quit sustaining no matter what the volume ! to the point of uncontrolable !..I couldn't help turning japanese every time I plugged it in.

Radioboy950
September 30th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Sorry guys, I really wasn't commenting so much on the amp itself...but more on the ridiculous guitar face and the fun he's having.

As for amp--Yeah, that's probably not the best use of a Doctor Z. I'd like to hear that Monza with some more realistic overdrive tones.

oldguy
September 30th, 2010, 06:17 PM
the majority of that sustain is no doubt from the hollowbody... a friend of mine had an old danelectro hollow with lipstick pickups ,,,good grief, that thing would not quit sustaining no matter what the volume ! to the point of uncontrolable !..I couldn't help turning japanese every time I plugged it in.

Exactly..... I can get my Agile semi-hollow to do that with most any amph, given the right note and angle to the speaker cab. That Z does sound superb tho, no doubt. They are excellent.

SemiHollow
October 14th, 2010, 07:25 PM
thats some tone right there. Kinda like what I try to get my pro jr to do

kidsmoke
October 14th, 2010, 09:11 PM
sweet tone, no doubt. But 1400 bones is a chunk o' change.