PDA

View Full Version : Second opinions

Jx2
September 29th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Im looking for a new chorus pedal. However, evertime Ive convinced myself this is the one. I'll stagger upon another or hesitate at the checkout process. Here is a list of the one's Ive researched and looked at. The only chorus pedal close enough to check out personaly is a behringer and I dont want that.

MXR ZW38 Zakk Wylde Chorus
Electro Harmonics Small Clone
MXR M148 Micro Chorus
DeltaLab SC1 Stero Chorus
Ibanez Tone Lok CF7 Chorus/Flanger
Modtone MT-CH Auqua Chorus

I play whatever tickles my fancy that day. Could be something as old as Buddy Holly or something as heavy as Slayer. So its just gotta fit me. When I change styles I dont tinker with my amp cos I dont try to duplicate a guys tone I just play the song with my tone. If the Ibanez was like the orginaly which I had, Id already of ordered it. But the orginal you could set it to play both flang and chorus and from the pictures and reviews Ive found this is no longer a option. I really like the Zakk Wylde Chorus but I want to find "my" setting and leave it alone and Im afraid it will have to much versaility and I'll need to add more than 1 once I got playing with it. I always wanted a Small Clone cos of my ties to Nirvana and Cobain but I dont really play grunge any more. The DeltaLab and Modtone sounds good on you tube but the reviews are weak. Ive got $100 to play with, so anything in that range not listed Id be more than willing to check out if anyone has a additional suggestion.

6stringdrug
September 30th, 2010, 12:02 AM
I havent played a lot of chorus pedals, but I have a ibanez cs9. Sounds great, to my limited experience with it. I don't use it much, but it does great for what I use it for. They can still be had on ebay under $100, got mine for $65. I use a boss cs1 for my acoustic sets, totally different sound and not really as pretty with my electrics.

Andy
September 30th, 2010, 09:21 AM
I also use the Ibanez cs9,,it's not as swirly as alot of other models tend to be but it excels with that,, just enough subtle chorus and blends in nice with both cleans and distortion. I run the knobs right at 12:00 and that seems to be it's sweet spot in my setup.

it does add a tiny bit of high end when engaged, that may turn off some tone purists, It works great thru the effects loop of my tweaker...much cleaner than in front.

marnold
October 1st, 2010, 12:27 PM
I know some people are anti-digital, but I like my Digitech Chorus Factory. Gives you just about any level/type of chorus that your little heart could desire. I really like what I've heard of the Hardwire one too.

duhvoodooman
October 1st, 2010, 12:36 PM
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=15003 :D

DeanEVO_Dude
October 1st, 2010, 08:57 PM
Well, if I may put my two cents worth in here, I have the DOD FX65 which is a stereo chorus, I like it alot. Even though they were made in the 80s and 90s, it is one of the best chorus pedals I have heard, the adjustable delay knob really adds some kick to it and thickens up the sound when you turn it up. Just a suggestion for ya, lotsa them on eBay.

oldguy
October 2nd, 2010, 05:18 AM
Well, if I may put my two cents worth in here, I have the DOD FX65 which is a stereo chorus, I like it alot. Even though they were made in the 80s and 90s, it is one of the best chorus pedals I have heard, the adjustable delay knob really adds some kick to it and thickens up the sound when you turn it up. Just a suggestion for ya, lotsa them on eBay.

Yep. My wife picked up a FX64 at a church rummage sale (for ten bucks IIRC)
She called me at work first and asked if I wanted it, she knows I like that kinda stuff........."those pedal that make the different sounds", as she calls 'em.:thumbsup
The chorus is nice on the old DOD's, and they are generally built to be stepped on, not cheap plastic toys.

Jx2
October 2nd, 2010, 10:20 AM
I couldnt decide so I order a digitech RP255. Figure this will let me tinker with several diffrent options and attempt to fine tune just what Im looking for. The chorus in this unit is based off these 3
Boss® *CE-2 Chorus
DigiTech® Dual Chorus
DigiTech® Multi Chorus

Plus I figured with all the bells and whistles in this. If I decide to go individual pedals at a later time. I should have a better idea of what I want.

DeanEVO_Dude
October 4th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Yep. My wife picked up a FX64 at a church rummage sale (for ten bucks IIRC)...

I had the FX64, I didn't care that much for it, just didn't sound right for me. For the most part, the later DOD pedals (made in China) are more solid from a build stand point (battery door is attached, on-off footswitch seems more solid), but they are lacking a little in the sound department, just can't seem to put my finger on exactly what, though. But the FX64 seems to be one of the higher rated ones... Cool find.:applause

DeanEVO_Dude
October 4th, 2010, 08:51 PM
I couldnt decide so I order a digitech RP255. Figure this will let me tinker with several diffrent options and attempt to fine tune just what Im looking for. The chorus in this unit is based off these 3
Boss® *CE-2 Chorus
DigiTech® Dual Chorus
DigiTech® Multi Chorus

Plus I figured with all the bells and whistles in this. If I decide to go individual pedals at a later time. I should have a better idea of what I want.

I have an RP90, and I like it! The 250 is made of metal, so it is more robust, but prety good sounds just the same. You will have fun with it.

hubberjub
October 5th, 2010, 06:38 AM
I use either a TC Electronic Modulator or a Line 6 MM4. Both do more than just chorus but the chorus sounds are great. If I were to judge them only by their chorus I would give the edge to the TC.

DeanEVO_Dude
October 5th, 2010, 07:50 PM
I use either a TC Electronic Modulator or a Line 6 MM4. Both do more than just chorus but the chorus sounds are great. If I were to judge them only by their chorus I would give the edge to the TC.

If my memory is right, TC Electronics was a big man on campus in the 80s for their digital effect, especially for their chorus... maybe it was the 90s? Anyway, good call hub.

sunvalleylaw
October 5th, 2010, 09:32 PM
I like very much my Boss CE-5. I think it is a nice, versatile chorus pedal. "CE" stands for "Chorus Ensemble" so it is designed to be versatile. It has 5 controls, level, rate, depth, and two levels of filter, high and low. There is another thread around here where members discussed a lot of options. Out of that thread, I picked the CE-5 and was quite happy.

Tig
October 6th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I couldnt decide so I order a digitech RP255.

I have the RP-255 multi-effect and the Chorus models are very nice. I'll be trading mine in for a Line 6 M9 or M13, because I don't need the amp models, just effects.

The key to the RP255 is to use your computer to adjust and create patches. You'll need a longer than average USB cable, depending on your situation. Buy the "A to B" style connector ends. I saved 50% by going to Fry's instead of Best Buy.

Download software from Digitech
-Unless you plan on recording with your PC, don't bother with the CD it came with. Getting and configuring Cubase LE4's license was the most difficult process I've experienced in over 20 years of IT support!
-Download the RP255 drivers here (http://www.digitech.com/software_support/RP255Windows.php) (I'm assuming you have a PC, if a Mac start here (http://www.digitech.com/software_support/RP255Mac.php)). At the top of the Digitech software downloads page you'll see tabs. Click the Download Files tab, click the Download Drivers link and run the setup file with the RP255 connected.
-Under the Download Files tab at the bottom, click the X-Edit 2.6.0 link. You'll see installation instructions on another tab. X-Edit is what you'll use to control and save patches.
-Once everything is installed and you system recognizes the RP255, the last tab (Run NetUpdater) tells you how to update it's firmware and calibrate the expression pedal. This will wipe out any saved changes you have on the pedal.

OK, now to the good stuff.
You can modify any preset on either the 60 factory or user presets, but can save that preset to only the User bank of 60. This will become clear once you have X-Edit up, where you can rename the new patch and save it. Just play around with the many setting on the right part of the screen to get familer with everything.

The Digitech Tone Library (http://www.digitech.com/ToneLibrary/) has several useful patches among some not so useful ones in their 2 1/2 pages.

Here's how I'm using some of my User presets... I want to have several presets that only do stomp boxes without any amp or cabinet modeling.
I'll start off selecting one of the Clean settings using the Tone Library knob. On the X-Edit screen, de-select the amp and cabinets and anything else in the way. You can click an effect button to toggle it on of off. Select an effect or combination of effects like phaser + reverb, and go from there.

I hope this gets you in the right direction...

Jx2
October 6th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Thanks tig, my rp came on the brown truck yesterday. Ive kicked around with it a little Im not ready to jump to conclusions but I didnt find as many useable presets as the reviews had claimed. I did edit one of the presets and got a fairly good tone out of it for what I was looking for. Probably needs to be fine tuned with the eq. Im going to keep plugging away with it and see what happens. Sadly though, I ordered this Friday night. Saturday I got that Epiphone Les Paul and by Sunday I had came to the conclusion that the LP and my randall is all I need maybe a crybaby. I thought about cancelling the order but they had already shipped it so I figured Id just see what its about, still have other guitars that doesnt sound near as good as my epip lp.