PDA

View Full Version : Any special diets, anyone?

deeaa
September 30th, 2010, 03:09 AM
Just for fun,

Any of you ever think much about what you eat etc? Do you have any special rules and such on what to eat and what not to eat? Steer clear of something?

I've been eating quite fatty and meaty foods for, I dunno, 1,5 years now or so, and it seems to work very well for me. I try to avoid any 'low fat' foods and sugars, cereals, bread, rice, potato as much as I can - especially stuff like wheat and corn - and concentrate on eating vegetables, fruits and lots of meat and eggs and proper milk and butter.

I do eat some of those too, but it's like when I used to have 4 big potatoes and 8 meatballs, I rather now eat a dozen meatballs and half a potato instead. And always eat lots of green salads. For breakfast bacon and eggs fried in good ole butter and so on. But seldom a donut or much bread at all. Pasta foods are an especially big no-no. Sometimes, but seldom.

Because I drink a LOT of beer and won't cut on that, I've lost weight very slowly, but am anyhow now 156 lbs, close to 152 which is my ideal. (I'm 5.8 feet tall). Also I don't think I ever felt better than of late, just a few years back I could hardly do a few chin pull-ups, now a dozen goes easily, and also otherwise I feel very energetic all the time&in the shape of my life - hell I'm much stronger and agile than 20 years ago in my twenties.

So for me avoiding any cereals and sugars works fine, and it's been super easy to follow thru...just double the meats and fats and skip the cereal products as far as possible. How about you guys?

Eric
September 30th, 2010, 04:15 AM
Nothing special, though I am vegetarian. If years of running has taught me anything, it's that weight is dictated ~85% by what you eat and maybe 15% by how much you exercise.

Right now I'm just trying to lay off of the booze a little bit and not use exercise as a way to correct for bad eating habits, but rather to address the eating habits themselves.

deeaa
September 30th, 2010, 05:02 AM
Yeah that's very true, exercise burns surprisingly few calories more than just being. Something like burning the equivalent of a large cola you'd have to run eight miles or something just to negate that energy amount. Yep, it's gotta be what you eat.

Are you a vegetarian for any specific reason? I've tried a few times to not eat meat, well mainly because I could not afford it when studying, but after a few weeks I was so ravenous after it, when I finally got me a nice piece of steak meat, I literally ate it before I had even fried it...it just took so long for the pan to heat up, I started cutting small pieces and ended up eating the whole steak raw. Then I figured vegetarism wouldn't suit me too well. But I suppose it'd be very good for the environment and the earth in the big scheme of things.

Eric
September 30th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Well, my vegetarianism is kind of odd. It's not the whole I-couldn't-possibly-eat-animals thing; I guess I like animals, but I don't think that's enough of a reason for me not to eat meat. It's more that I found that when I was living on my own, I'd only cook meat maybe once or twice a month. I just didn't think about it much and never bothered with it.

As an experiment, I decided to try being vegetarian and it's stuck. Didn't hurt that about 3 weeks after I started doing it I met my wife, who had been vegetarian for 8 years or something at that point. She definitely knew how to cook vegetarian very well. I imagine I might have become bored with the foods I could cook had I not met her.

I think the environmental part (i.e. you can get a lot more out of a plot of land if it's not used for meat) and the general health part (that a lot of really unhealthy foods are meat, so you kind of chop out some unhealthy eating habits automatically) are just sort of an added bonus.

I still eat fish, because I love sushi. If I find myself wanting meat sometime, I'll eat it and then go back to being vegetarian. I guess I'm technically pescatarian/flexitarian, but that usually takes too long to explain, so I just label myself vegetarian.

I might try your ideas of cutting out carbs, but I LOVE bread, so it'd be really hard. Just kind of trying a new pattern that works well these days. I'm a bit on the high side of my typical weight range right now, but it just takes time; can't be too impatient.

deeaa
September 30th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Well yeah, I can't be w/out bread entirely either, sometimes a marmalade toast or a tuna melt is just too good to pass, but I try to keep it to 1-2 slices a day max. And never white bread.

The funny thing is, now I'm used to it I get a horrible feeling of stuffiness if I have much bread, or a good dose of pasta. Just feel very heavy and wanting to take a nap after eating.

I also have a small portion of fries now and then, can't drop hamburgers or pizza either...but I guess, I've still probably cut to a quarter of carbs I used to eat, easily.

Now if I could just stop the wife from baking all kinds of pies etc. quite often...very hard to resist, but I do my best.

hubberjub
September 30th, 2010, 07:21 AM
I have been an ovo/lacto vegetarian for about 15 years with no relapses. It just doesn't appeal to me. I'm not a Nazi vegetarian either. People can eat whatever they want to. I eat a very balanced and healthy diet. We grow most of our vegetables during the summer and preserve a lot via canning and utilizing a large chest freezer. My wife, who is not a vegetarian, is an excellent cook and understands the importance of complete proteins in ones diet. She's a writer and contributing editor for a few environmental and local food magazines. In terms of exercise, I am an avid hiker, and I walk to work everyday. I'm not sure of the mileage, but it takes about 45 minutes each way. The major flaw in my diet is my alcohol consumption. I am a beer and wine fan with a pretty active social life. I'm 5'8" and about 200lbs. That's one problem with being involved with the local music scene. I go out probably five nights per week, either to play or watch music. Maybe it's time to switch to scotch.

Bloozcat
September 30th, 2010, 08:21 AM
One of my problems with diet is that I despise most vegetables. Of those that I do eat, I prefer them raw if possible. For instance: I like carrots, celery, cucumbers, cabbage, spinach, various types of lettuce, radishes - all when they're raw. When cooked, they taste very bitter to me. Uncooked they have a natural sweetness to them.

About the only green vegetables I can eat cooked are fresh or frozen string beans, lima beans, fresh or frozen peas, bell peppers (also red and yellow bell peppers). I like corn and almost any kind of beans (which are legumes, not vegetables).

When trying to substitute for foods that are not necessarily healthy in large quantities, it's hard when vegetables aren't an option. So, lately I've switched from eating pasta made from white flour to whole wheat pasta. I eat oatmeal with raw nuts, fruit, and a little bit of honey in the morning, and most days I have a salad for lunch with a little grilled chicken on it.

Since I like to cook, I've created some dishes that use the vegetables I like. I make a stir fry that's mainly vegetables with a little grilled chicken, a mediteranian pasta (now whole wheat) that's meatless, and a couple of other dishes. My wife loves them, but she really likes vegetables anyway.

I was in a health foods grocery store a few years back and saw a book there that was titled, Diet By Blood Type. It sounded intriguing so I picked it up and turned to the chapter on type O+, my blood type. The title of the chapter was O+: The Hunter. Rather appropriate, I thought. The chapter began by saying that people with this blood type crave red meat. Maybe not all the time, and maybe you could eat a diet with little or no red meat, but not for long. O+ blood is considered to be a prototype blood type of the human race from back when we were hunter/gatherers. Way back then, red meat from game, nuts, berries, and simple vegetables and starches were the staples of the diet. In fact, this blood type pre-dates the advent of more processed foods like wheat and dairy products as well, and these foods are on the avoid in large quantities list for those with type O+ blood. I found this very fascinating.

Tone2TheBone
September 30th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Yeah a see food diet.

Heywood Jablomie
September 30th, 2010, 08:37 AM
I like to eat out as often as I can.........

Robert
September 30th, 2010, 08:57 AM
I run over 10 hours per week, and I need lots of energy for that. I eat potatoes, pasta, meat, vegetables and a lot of bread. I particularly love chicken and fish, but for me, I sure need a lot of carbohydrates. According to my calculations, I burn about 10,000 calories per week, from running only.

deeaa
September 30th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Blooz that IS very interesting, as I also like raw veggies the best, I eat lots and lots of fresh salads at work. They're expensive and hard to make in small quantities at home, but at work I eat loads of stuff like grated carrot, cucumber, various green salads etc. and there's a great selection at our workplace too.

Eric
September 30th, 2010, 09:28 AM
All of these dimensions of bodies makes me wonder about ideal weights. I've given it some serious thought in the past, and while I try not to make excuses for myself, I just couldn't figure out BMI. I'm 6'3", and according to BMI the heaviest I can be without being considered "overweight" is something like 186.

When I was in school, I would swim a mile a day, do some minor weight work and ab stuff, and eat 2 bowls of oatmeal per day; nothing more. I think that my lowest weight was 193. A couple of years ago, I was down to 201 for a competition we had at work, and that seemed unbelievably light for me -- a real struggle to get down there.

I mean, I wasn't exactly rock-hard even at 201, so I understand the underlying ideas of BMI. I just don't honestly understand how my body could get there; it doesn't seem to have the capacity to do so. I weighed ~280 until I was about 20 years old, so maybe my brain and body just honestly can't comprehend it. I don't know.

For reference, I've run all of the 5 marathons I've done at or around 220, so I consider that my normal operating weight. Not ideal, just what I tend to wind up at.

deeaa
September 30th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Oh yeah, I guess weight depends very heavily on the person. I'm for instance very light compared to height, most of my friends of the same height usually weigh 40lbs more and aren't fat at all, but looking pretty much the same as me.

Me, the heaviest I ever was was when I was 18 or so, only ~20 pounds more than now, but BOY I looked FAT, even my face was round like a pumpkin. And still that too was miles away from being officially overweight, 174lbs and 5'10''. (BTW I didn't know how to correctly use these damned inches etc. but now I calculated the correct value to be pretty close to five ten, almost five eleven, definitely not eight. Man those are impossible to calculate, metrics is so simple in comparison.)

My ideal weight is IMO just over 150lbs or just under 11 stone. The lowest I've been as adult was in mid-20's in my best gigging years, when I was just 140lbs at best. Right now my BMI seems to be 22.4 which is smack in the middle of 'normal' though.

sumitomo
September 30th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Wow I'm glad someone started this thread,cause I thought I ate kinda weird.I had to have a kidney removed about 4 yrs ago cause of a tumor(90%cancer/this one was not)so I checked out info on cancer/tumors ect.,they like a acid enviroment so I started to eat to raise the PH in my body,I still eat some meat and eat some icecream,I also have Hep C and have not drank booze for over 5 yrs.,My blood tests barely show signs of Hep C and I have a lot of joint pain sometimes it feels like fire and someone hitting them with a hammer so I have been trying Medical Pot(eating foods with it,I don't smoke)Once or twice a week and it works great for me.I also make alot of juices and grow my veggies(and my own medicine).I will find out the next blood test how the Medical Pot is for my body,but I never thought I'd every use it for medicine.Funny how life throws curve balls.I'm glad to see how others eat.Sumi:D

Bloozcat
September 30th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Wow I'm glad someone started this thread,cause I thought I ate kinda weird.I had to have a kidney removed about 4 yrs ago cause of a tumor(90%cancer/this one was not)so I checked out info on cancer/tumors ect.,they like a acid enviroment so I started to eat to raise the PH in my body,I still eat some meat and eat some icecream,I also have Hep C and have not drank booze for over 5 yrs.,My blood tests barely show signs of Hep C and I have a lot of joint pain sometimes it feels like fire and someone hitting them with a hammer so I have been trying Medical Pot(eating foods with it,I don't smoke)Once or twice a week and it works great for me.I also make alot of juices and grow my veggies(and my own medicine).I will find out the next blood test how the Medical Pot is for my body,but I never thought I'd every use it for medicine.Funny how life throws curve balls.I'm glad to see how others eat.Sumi:D

Are you taking any EPA-DHA Omega Fish oil, sumi? It might help with the joint problems, and it's good for the heart/circulatory system.

sumitomo
September 30th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Yep!The pot really helps me relax when I get a massage (my wife is a massage thep.)I put up with tension and extreme pain for over 2 yrs.,I mean tears from pain and now it is almost non existent,I have a close person I share with and some weeks I dont need anything others I put it off till I can't stand it,I pray alot with people and that works best,but sometimes well,Im really glad I can be open to all options,instead of automatically getting negative you know saying naw that wont work and I haven't even researched it.Thanks for input I'm always open for suggestions.Sumi:D

Bloozcat
September 30th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Yep!The pot really helps me relax when I get a massage (my wife is a massage thep.)I put up with tension and extreme pain for over 2 yrs.,I mean tears from pain and now it is almost non existent,I have a close person I share with and some weeks I dont need anything others I put it off till I can't stand it,I pray alot with people and that works best,but sometimes well,Im really glad I can be open to all options,instead of automatically getting negative you know saying naw that wont work and I haven't even researched it.Thanks for input I'm always open for suggestions.Sumi:D

Juicing is a really great way to control the pH balance. Carrot and spinach juice is one of the best, especially if you grow it yourself organically. 75% carrot/25% spinach is the ration I hear works best. And contrary to belief, most citrus is alkaline as well. But, I'm sure you already know all of this.

kidsmoke
September 30th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Hell of a guitar forum we have here! :dude

Blooz opened the can of worms I was going to open: blood type.

I've never struggled with my weight, and always been very active, just in the course of life. Raising kids, coaching soccer (at one point 3 teams simultaneously) cycling to work cuz I love to, and generally despise ceilings and walls, runnin' around with the dogs etc. Never had a "plan" for excersize or diet. Then, my youngest reached the age where her soccer club dictated career pros as coaches, I changed jobs to sales (driving all the time) hit 40, and gained a mexican girlfriend as a roommate (think tortillas and beans and lots and lots of chicken) WHAM. Nothin' worse than a skinny pasty white red head with a beer belly. My sweetheart also started to thicken up, shall we say. Over three years an extra 25 pounds creeped up on me, along with generally feeling like crap most of the time, and I've never been a good sleeper. The job sucks, and I'm in construction related fields, scraping out a commission (translation....stress)

to the point. My girlfriends very rotund cousin, short and stout, fantastic cook and working mom getting a masters degree (think out straight, no time for gym) suddenly starting shedding pounds. pressing for a reason, we found that due to her O+ blood type, she had eliminated wheat from her diet. No other changes had occurred, just no wheat, and she had lost to date 30+. Stunned and skeptical, I bought books.....

This is no fad. As Blooz alluded to, this is simple physiology and human evolution. Science as common logic. Think......if our bodies receive the wrong blood type, it can be fatal. It is logical, therefore, that if our organs can be shut down based on different levels of common elements in blood, that elements of food can also dramatically affect organ function, which is directly related to metabolism and the way our bodies process and UTILIZE the elements of food. Well, duh!

So it's like this....Blood type is but a sign of the "organ package" we have. These organs maximize some foods, and find other foods less optimal, or even
problematic (causing them to operate inefficiently) Those troublesome foods are not generally "bad" foods, they just don't work well for "organ packages".

Blooz told the O+ story. Meat, and lots of it, Wheat is bad. In my case, I'm B-, and chicken and corn contain lectins which slow my metabolism. Yet chicken and corn are not generally considered bad foods.

In the wake of this, my girl and I printed the lists for our type, highlighted foods common in the + column for both of us, and started shopping. It did take some digging to find ample foods, as so much of what is readily available is not optimal for both of us (she's O+ also). Without making any other changes to my life, I lost 12 lbs in 5 weeks. I wasn't adding metabolism slowing elements to my system.

The thing about this diet, is that, other than a book, nothing is being sold or pushed. There is no marketing machine behind this. All the info I read in the book I've seen readily available for free online. Interestingly, this paradigm is common knowledge in Japan, and has been for generations.

I think your testimony bears it out as well, deeaa. You've found that a red meat diet leaves you feeling good and without weight issues. This is why the Atkins "fad" a few years ago was so highly regarded, for a select few people! While for others, it was nearly toxic! The O+ crowd watched the pounds melt and the energy rise, while the rest of the folks found less satisfactory results.

Compelling stuff. Worth a perusal at least. I suspect that those of you who generally feel good, and aren't wrestling with weight issues, would read their "list" and find they're already largely compliant.

For example, Eric, are you an A?

Eric
September 30th, 2010, 05:59 PM
For example, Eric, are you an A?
Yup, A+. Whazzat mean for me?

kidsmoke
September 30th, 2010, 06:34 PM
here is a VERY BROAD synopsis of each types strong suit.

Simpler List

Type O High Protein:
Meat eaters Meat
fish
vegetables
fruit

Type A Vegetarian
vegetables
tofu
seafood
grains
beans
legumes
fruit

Type B Balanced omnivore
meat (no chicken)
dairy
grains
beans
legumes
vegetables
fruit

Bloozcat
September 30th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Thanks for adding that Tio...

Hmmm, your insight into your life answers one queation but raises another. Who are you "uncle" Kimo to?

Another interesting diet that is based on foods that are readily available through grocery stores is The Fit For Life Diet.

What this diet stresses is food combining. The basic premise is nothing but fruit until noon. Do not combine meat protiens with starch. So, instead of that steak and baked potato, have a steak and a salad or other vegetables. Want a nice baked potato? Eat it with vegetables like you would with the steak.

Another couple of rules of the diet are to avoid dairy products and consume only whole wheat products.

This approach works great for my wife. Although she doesn't follow it 100%, she is pretty faithful to it. She's dropped 2 to 2 -1/2 dress sizes since we've been married and she's in incredibly good health. Of course I must add that she exercises regularly and sees a holistic doctor to maintain proper levels of the vitamins, minerals, and supplement that keep her in such good shape.

Speaking of wheat and dairy products: These are the top two food items on the list of foods Americans are allergic to. Yet they are so prevalent in the American diet.

And then there's all the crap we injest that throws a wrench in any diet. Chemically created or altered substances that encourage fat growth, or actually induce symptoms of disease as they poison the body. But, that's another discussion that would take weeks to sort through. Let me just throw two out there for examples: Aspartame and High Fructose Corn Syrup...

hubberjub
September 30th, 2010, 10:13 PM
According to that diet, I eat everything that I shouldn't. Stupid O+.

deeaa
September 30th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Damn, now I really should find out my blood type! I have no idea - I mean, we tested it in highschool once, but no way I can remember. They kind of not want people to know/have any signs or anything on them, because if in case of emergency the rescue people believe that and it's wrong it could be fatal, so they always check first anyway. An EMT told me even if someone has tattooed 'my blood type is A+' on his or her arm, they still would never give A+ blood before testing themselves. That's why since childhood I haven't heard or seen my blood type anywhere, despite having had operations etc.

Tig
September 30th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Um, what's a diet? I've usually eaten what ever I wanted, healthy or not. In my competitive bike racing days (150-200 miles per week), I jammed down carb's like pasta and rice with chicken breast, plus a variety of other stuff. I never had to "diet" however. I couldn't get enough to eat, but was never skinny, having a very balanced musculature. My racing weight ranged between 132 and 136 pounds, 5' 7" tall.

Now that I'm edging near 50 and haven't ridden in 7 months, plus working nights, I'm about 152 pounds. Not fat by American standards, but a whale by my standards! Now that the weather is starting to cool, I'll get back on the bike.

Like bloozcat, the only veggies I like are raw unless in a soup or stew. I limit my milk and beef intake. Modern beef is so filled with antibiotics and other garbage, it never sits well on my stomach.

deeaa
October 1st, 2010, 12:00 AM
Yep these days you best make sure the meats you eat are free of those, and preferably made locally. But 'organic' and safe local meats aren't much more expensive at all really.

Mr Pants
October 1st, 2010, 03:12 AM
Are you taking any EPA-DHA Omega Fish oil, sumi? It might help with the joint problems, and it's good for the heart/circulatory system.

I take glucosamine/chondroitin for neck pain, it was recommended by my physician as being as effective as ibuprofin, and doesn't have the associated bad stocmach effects. Seems to work for me. I take the fish oil too.

I'm 5' 8", and currently around 166 pounds. Exercise seems to work for me if I'm getting fat. I know when I'm doing lots of cycling I need shed loads of carbs.

Cheers, Martin

kidsmoke
October 1st, 2010, 06:12 AM
Thanks for adding that Tio...

Hmmm, your insight into your life answers one queation but raises another. Who are you "uncle" Kimo to?

In all my years using that "handle" on a couple forums, no one has alluded to that, though I'm sure some have concluded that as you have.

For those not surrounded by spanish, "Tio" means uncle.

I have 10 natural nieces and nephews, and through my girlfriend, fill that role for a dozen more. For years I was training Latino factory workers, and early on one man who could not make the english short "i" vowel sound started calling me kimo (pronounced "kee-mo", actual name is Kip), and it stuck. Even at company meetings it would be used, and family of co-workers knew me as such. One day my daughter and 2 nieces came by the shop, and the observation by the shop matriarch that I'm Tio Kimo was made, and it had a ring to it. Not being nearly as creative as I'd like to think, I used it for a forum name when the need arose.

Bloozcat
October 1st, 2010, 07:02 AM
In all my years using that "handle" on a couple forums, no one has alluded to that, though I'm sure some have concluded that as you have.

For those not surrounded by spanish, "Tio" means uncle.

I have 10 natural nieces and nephews, and through my girlfriend, fill that role for a dozen more. For years I was training Latino factory workers, and early on one man who could not make the english short "i" vowel sound started calling me kimo (pronounced "kee-mo", actual name is Kip), and it stuck. Even at company meetings it would be used, and family of co-workers knew me as such. One day my daughter and 2 nieces came by the shop, and the observation by the shop matriarch that I'm Tio Kimo was made, and it had a ring to it. Not being nearly as creative as I'd like to think, I used it for a forum name when the need arose.

I thought there might be a story there...:thumbsup

Commodore 64
October 1st, 2010, 07:52 AM
http://www.westmauiwellness.com/index.php?page=docsbloodtype

PDFs for blood type diets ^^^

This is fascinating to me. I don't know my bloodtype though. I eat everything though, but a LOT of meat and a LOT of Grains stand out.

Bloozcat
October 1st, 2010, 08:16 AM
http://www.westmauiwellness.com/index.php?page=docsbloodtype

PDFs for blood type diets ^^^

This is fascinating to me. I don't know my bloodtype though. I eat everything though, but a LOT of meat and a LOT of Grains stand out.

This site is great, Commodore! It covers everything right down to suggested meals.

Since I'm the one who brought up this whole diet by blood type thing, it's time I start adhering to it a little more closely. Looks like it's goodbye to all of my favorite Italian dishes I've been eating (and loving) my whole life...crap!

sumitomo
October 1st, 2010, 12:18 PM
Man I was checking out that food list,and Wow I'm gunna have to get to smokin' if I'm going to eat that much food.Sumi:D

Childbride
October 1st, 2010, 06:59 PM
zero aspartame.

as close to zero processed food as possible.

cut out salt as much as possible.

no sweets.

very little red meat.

fresh fruits and veggies. i am growing some this year and am expanding quite a bit next year.

salads for lunch.

drink lots of water.

i work out every day. i walk/jog 5-7 miles and do other exercises as well.

my doctor commended me on being one of the only patients he has ever had who quit smoking and lost weight. :cool:

kidsmoke
October 1st, 2010, 10:08 PM
my doctor commended me on being one of the only patients he has ever had who quit smoking and lost weight. :cool:

:dance :dance nicely done, CB. MAJOR accomplishment!

deeaa
October 2nd, 2010, 03:54 AM
You know, I really don't think doing much exercise or eating very well can do very much for you ultimately. Gain a few pounds or lose a few, but that's it.

There's plenty of evidence from identical twin and twins that even if one twin has smoked, drank and not exercised at all, and the other has lived a very healthy life, they still have the exact same diseases, the same heart condition, live the same time and so on. It's actually pretty amazing, even twins separated at birth and having grown up in the opposite sides of the world still have even developed moles in same places, downright have the same hairs go gray in the eyebrow etc. And also supporting the same ideals, politics etc. so it's not just body, also mind. Our genes dictate everything.

Of course exercise and being healthy makes you feel better, largely because it's a drug, albeit natural, with all the endorphines etc. involved, and such...but ultimately, there's only so much you can do to combat what your genes dictate what you will become and be. I do believe, however, that it is possible to control some of it, like if you're prone to gaining weight you can fight that with diet etc.

But it's still basically the same as the idea of us being able to decide things by ourselves, which is all just illusion as well, in reality all our thoughts and actions are controlled in sub-conscious part of our brain even if they seem like made by our conscious minds and free will...but it's just illusion ultimately. We can only direct the general direction of things consciously, the actual actions are made subconsciously.

tunghaichuan
October 2nd, 2010, 09:43 AM
Lots of good information so far.

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis about 6 years ago. The meds help a little bit, but are expensive and don't cure the condition.

I was on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/) for about two years. No grains, no sugar, lots of veggies, most meats, some fruits, a few cheeses, and yogurt, if home-made. The only sweetener allowed is honey.

I improved a bit on the SCD diet, but still had relapses. I couldn't put on weight. At my lowest point during the worst relapse, I weighed about 147. Before I got UC I was around 180.

About 6 months ago I found a book in the library written by a gastroenterologist who claimed that he cured himself of UC. He found a connection between UC and people who didn't produce an enzyme to digest fructose (fruit sugar.) I started following this diet about 5 moths ago and have improved steadily since. The diet only allows cane sugar as a sweetener, and in limited quantities.

So these days, I basically follow the above diet, but have also cut out gluten as well.

For breakfast I have a bowl of puffed whole-grain rice in unsweetened almond milk with a couple teaspoons of organic cane sugar. Next I have four eggs cooked in butter and grated cheddar cheese on top. I also have a cup or two of organic green tea.

For lunch I have cheese and gluten free rice/almond crackers, and a bowl of home-made yogurt. Yogurt is easy to make and I use organic milk. Since I let the yogurt ferment about 32+ hours, there is no lactose left.

For dinner I usually have rice with lots of steamed veggies. And I'll have turkey or chicken.

For snacks I have a couple of whole-grain rice cakes or a handful of pecans.

I've since put on about 10 lbs and am holding at 160.

I don't eat candy, cookies, or drink pop/soda. I avoid anything containing high-fructose corn syrup. I avoid anything containing gluten. It's challenging to be on this type of diet, but it is very healthy.

deeaa
October 2nd, 2010, 10:00 AM
I dunno why, but green tea burns in my stomach real bad.

Bloozcat
October 4th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Ok, so officially 4th day of my type O blood diet and I've lost 2-lbs. And, it's not like I didn't eat during this time, either.

Breakfast this morning: 1-poached egg on a slice of 100% rye toast with some butter, salt, cayenne pepper, sliced turkey breast, and a slice of mozzerella cheese. I had a glass of water and a cup of black coffee with Stevia for a sweetner...all on the type O diet (except for the coffee).

Lunch today: Tossed salad with left-over sliced ribeye steak, crunbled Feta cheese and a dressing I made with mayonaise, dijon mustard, garlic, cayene pepper, olive oil, lemon juice, and chopped anchovies (I just recently acquired a taste for anchovies...very convenient).

Energy levels are already increasing...

deeaa
October 4th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Sounds good blooz just the type of stuff I also eat!

omegadot
October 5th, 2010, 04:06 PM
I generally avoid gluten and dairy because I feel significantly better following this diet. I also minimize caffeine and pop intake. For the most part I find the more restrictive diets address the need to control as much as any health concern so I try and stick to the basics. If it doesn't make me feel better/worse, I don't worry too much about it.

I will say, since I know I burn around 2300 calories a day just sitting around maintaining(I'm not a big guy, obviously), I consider the fact that I can easily burn off a few hundred in under an hour while running significant. I've always said a six pack is made in the kitchen, but it sure as hell makes a difference to working out.

poodlesrule
October 6th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Diet by blood type: Just today, I received my monthly newsletter from a noted prostate cancer oncologist, and one of the articles is titled: "The Blood Group Diet appears very dated"

He says, roughly: Since the original book was written (1997), human genome studies have better defined how human populations differ. Someone's blood group is largely independent of these evolutionary changes.

BTW, the first thing Dr. Myers does with his patients is put them on an lean Mediterranean diet, an unusual thing - in his field, not much consideration is given to diet.
He also often brings up the undesirable effects of corn products it the essential Omega6/Omega3 fats balance.

Bloozcat
October 6th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Diet by blood type: Just today, I received my monthly newsletter from a noted prostate cancer oncologist, and one of the articles is titled: "The Blood Group Diet appears very dated"

He says, roughly: Since the original book was written (1997), human genome studies have better defined how human populations differ. Someone's blood group is largely independent of these evolutionary changes.

BTW, the first thing Dr. Myers does with his patients is put them on an lean Mediterranean diet, an unusual thing - in his field, not much consideration is given to diet.
He also often brings up the undesirable effects of corn products it the essential Omega6/Omega3 fats balance.

I'm always skeptical about nouveau "findings" the medical community comes up with. One week caffeine is horrible for you, the next week it has all kinds of benefits, then it's bad again. One week mamograms are great for women, the next week they're ineffective, and the following week they're great again. One week all alcohol consumption is horrible, the next week red wine is beneficial to the heart, the next week...well, you get the idea. And this is all from the same medical community.

A very good response by Dr. D'Adamo regarding the critics of the blood type diet. There is a lot of information here that's supported by much research over more than half a century:

http://www.dadamo.com/science_critic.htm

This certainly isn't the only one, true, diet for weight maintenance, health, and well being. Truthfully, one must do that which works for them. The question then becomes, just what is it that works for me? How will I know if I've found the right one? There isn't an easy answer. It usually turns out to be the one that finally works for you after some experimenting. Being in tune with your own body and it's likes and dislikes is certainly a good start. And, one of the most often used starting points is the elimination of wheat and dairy products from one's diet for a couple of months. Note the positive effects, then re-introduce wheat then dairy one at a time for several days and note any adverse effects.

MAXIFUNK
October 6th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I did not read the thread but check out the "FULL PLATE DIET"

Eric
December 1st, 2010, 10:52 AM
Just thought I'd follow up here...

Since the time of this thread, I've dropped about 20 pounds. It wasn't any blood-type diet or anything else, but just limiting myself to about 1500 calories per day and going for casual walks, something I did before. Not even that hard, really.

Just sayin'.

Katastrophe
December 1st, 2010, 11:15 AM
Great job, Eric!

Unfortunately, I've gotten away from the anti-inflammation diet that I was on, and have gone to seefood diet.

I see food, I eat it!

Why does all the bad for you crap have to taste soooooo gooooood?

Eric
December 1st, 2010, 11:23 AM
Great job, Eric!

Unfortunately, I've gotten away from the anti-inflammation diet that I was on, and have gone to seefood diet.

I see food, I eat it!

Why does all the bad for you crap have to taste soooooo gooooood?
Well the weird part is that every time I am a little more mindful of what I eat, I don't even miss the unhealthy foods. Sure, it's easy to fall off the wagon, which I'm sure I will eventually, but it really puzzles me how when I get in a rhythm, I don't even really miss the bad stuff.

BTW, I think my point in the previous post, other than to toot my own horn, was to say that different tactics work for different people, but in my experience it's tracking what you eat and restricting calories that ultimately seems to work. Most diets are some form of that same idea.

deeaa
December 1st, 2010, 11:52 AM
My problem is I basically need to GAIN weight but still lose some fat.

I eat a lot of eggs, and plenty plenty of salads, and try to move a lot, do pull-ups etc. every chance I get...even started walking or jogging short distances, like to work and back instead of cycling...but I won't stop drinking beer&other alcohols daily...that'd be just too much. I just spent over a week without a drop and boy life was boring. I don't know why would anybody in their right minds try to spend their lives completely drug-free, it just feels so great to have a few drinks after a hard day before you hit the sack.

Katastrophe
December 1st, 2010, 12:00 PM
Dee, I rarely drink, even though I do enjoy a nice, cold beer on a hot day every once in a while.

For me, life's just too damned interesting to miss any of it!

@ Eric: I know what you mean. Once on a sensible eating plan, I don't miss the bad stuff. Lost 48 pounds once on a restricted calorie diet, and ate great.

The problem is when I get in a hurry, going to school, work, or taking care of my daughter that the convenient dollar menu crap becomes desirable.

I just gotta slow down some. Break's coming soon at school, and I won't have to go back for a month.

Eric
December 1st, 2010, 12:05 PM
The problem is when I get in a hurry, going to school, work, or taking care of my daughter that the convenient dollar menu crap becomes desirable.
I know exactly what you mean! It has happened way too many times to me.

And yes, I find that when I can slow down, I can dedicate more time to eating deliberately, and that helps considerably.

Jimi75
December 2nd, 2010, 06:12 AM
I try to see my body working like a machine. I fuel it with what is actually required. With this system I have achieved great results in diminishing my weight drastically over the past 15 months plus I have enough energy at hand for my work outs. To me this is the most easiest system. Fruit and flakes for breakfast, gives brainpower, well balanced meal in the afternoon (meat only 2-3 times a week), proteine in the evening, no bread or so, only on days when I work out I eat a little portion of oat meal and a banana. Once a week I have my hog day, french fries or Pizza. :rockya

NWBasser
December 2nd, 2010, 04:54 PM
I subscribe strictly to the bass player's diet of beer, bacon, and frosting.:hungry

All in equal proportions, of course.

I would highly recommend that my thin-stringed brother's supply their bassists with these prime "foods" to keep them happy and gigging all night.

Eric
February 4th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Saw this article on yahoo today:

PARIS (AFP) – A "tsunami of obesity" is unfurling across the world, resulting in a near-doubling of the numbers of dangerously overweight adults since 1980, doctors warned on Friday.

More than half a billion men and women -- nearly one in nine of all adults -- are clinically obese, according to research by a team from Imperial College London, Harvard and the World Health Organisation (WHO).

In 2008, the latest year for which statistics were available, nearly one woman in seven and one man in 10 were obese, it found.

Being too fat causes three million premature deaths each year from heart disease, diabetes, cancers and other disorders, according to the WHO.

The researchers described the tableau as "a population emergency."

"(It) will cost tens of millions of preventable deaths unless rapid and widespread actions are taken by governments and health-care systems worldwide," said the report, published by The Lancet.

The problem has been most prevalent in rich nations, rising most in the United States, followed by New Zealand and Australia for women, and Britain and Australia for men.

But many developing countries, especially in the Middle East and in rapidly urbanising areas, are catching up.

"These results suggest that overweight affects one-in-three adults and obesity affects one-in-nine adults -- a tsunami of obesity that will eventually affect all regions of the world," Sonia Anand and Salim Yusuf of Canada's McMaster University wrote in a commentary accompanying the study.

Global obesity rates more than doubled for men, from 4.8 percent of male adults in 1980 to 9.8 percent in 2008. For women, the corresponding jump was from 7.9 to 13.8 percent.

The standard for assessing weight is the body-mass index (BMI), in which one's weight in kilos is divided by the square of one's height in metres.

A BMI of 25 to 30 corresponds to being overweight, while above 30 is obese.

Pacific islanders weighed in with the highest BMI levels, between 34 and 35, and notched up among the sharpest increases over the last three decades as well.

In Europe, women in Russia and Moldova were at the upper end of the scale with BMIs of 27.2 and 27.1, while the heftiest men on the continent resided in the Czech Republic and Ireland.

At the other end of the spectrum, Swiss women were the most svelte, with their French and Italian counterparts vying for second place.

Italy holds the distinction of being the only country in Europe where women's average BMI declined, dropping from 25.2 to 24.8.

The study also reported changes in blood pressure and cholesterol levels across nations.

Western European countries -- especially Iceland, Andorra and Germany -- have among the highest cholesterol levels in the world, while African nations have the lowest.

Systolic blood pressure -- the maximum pressure exerted by the heart -- is highest in the Baltic, and in East and West Africa.

The same levels were common in wealthy nations a generation ago, but have dropped dramatically since then, the study showed.

High-income countries have also seen a drop in cardiovascular diseases since 1980, despite high levels of obesity.

The United States in particular saw reductions in high blood pressure and cholesterol levels as well as a slowdown in tobacco use, according to the study.

This suggests that lifestyle choices -- including limiting consumption of animal products and sodium, and increasing physical activity -- can play a key role in slashing heart disease.

Although commonly considered a "Western" problem, obesity is also growing in unexpected regions like the Middle East, where the average weight levels in several populations fall just shy of the benchmark for obesity.
Not looking so good...

I have to admit, even though I think I'm at a decent weight now, I'm still in the 'overweight' category, so I'm part of that 33%. I've tried to reconcile the whole BMI thing for a long time, but at this point I guess I just have to accept that maybe it's right.

tunghaichuan
February 4th, 2011, 01:21 PM
SI have to admit, even though I think I'm at a decent weight now, I'm still in the 'overweight' category, so I'm part of that 33%. I've tried to reconcile the whole BMI thing for a long time, but at this point I guess I just have to accept that maybe it's right.

You have to take the BMI thing with a grain of salt. For my height and weight they have me as 25.1 which is slightly overweight. If anything, I'm underweight. I'm short and stocky, built like a neanderthal, really. To be underweight I'd have to weigh 120lbs, but I'm pretty sure I'd have to be anorexic to get that low.

Eric
February 4th, 2011, 01:32 PM
You have to take the BMI thing with a grain of salt. For my height and weight they have me as 25.1 which is slightly overweight. If anything, I'm underweight. I'm short and stocky, built like a neanderthal, really. To be underweight I'd have to weigh 120lbs, but I'm pretty sure I'd have to be anorexic to get that low.
Yeah I realize that, but I also know that a person's capacity to rationalize knows no bounds, so I sometimes like to use BMI even if I don't think it applies.

It's so easy to read an article on obesity and think "oh, that's not me", so I want to view it objectively, based on the hard measurements of BMI. I would guess that's what they used for the findings in that article.

Right now I'm at about 26.5 BMI. I misspoke earlier in this thread when I was talking about BMI. For me, 197 is the most I can weigh and not be considered overweight by BMI standards. That's still a real stretch for me, but perhaps I just don't know how to eat properly. It's always a possibility.

poodlesrule
February 4th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Leo Fender was absolutely ahead of his time with the coutoured Strat design... <grin>

sunvalleylaw
February 4th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Cheetos and Butterfingers. In the morning I crunch them up in a bowl and add soy milk.

marnold
February 4th, 2011, 05:49 PM

Mine is the same. I'm just under 5'11" and according to a BMI calculator, you can be that height and way 135 lbs and still be considered a "normal" weight. If I see a man that size, I'm going to buy him a sammich out of sheer pity.

That's what I always love about obesity studies. "When we totally redefined what obesity means, we found out that more people are obese!" O RLY?

Having said that there's any awful lot of people around here who are dangerously overweight. I guess a fondness for cheese and beer will do that to you. Not surprisingly, there's also an awful lot of adult-onset diabetes, gall bladder problems, etc.

Katastrophe
February 4th, 2011, 07:21 PM
I'm about 5'7", and got down to about 155 for my wedding to Mrs. Kat. I was skin 'n bones, and ended up intentionally putting a little weight back on before the wedding. I pay no attention to BMI. It's total horse poopoo. I've got a buddy that's a weightlifter, in just about perfect physical shape, very low body fat %, and BMI still calls him overweight.

If I followed what the BMI says my weight should be, I'd be something like 125 pounds. I weighed about that much when I got out of high school and was incredibly thin.

deeaa
February 5th, 2011, 02:49 AM
Mine is the same. I'm just under 5'11" and according to a BMI calculator, you can be that height and way 135 lbs and still be considered a "normal" weight. If I see a man that size, I'm going to buy him a sammich out of sheer pity.

That's what I always love about obesity studies. "When we totally redefined what obesity means, we found out that more people are obese!" O RLY?

Having said that there's any awful lot of people around here who are dangerously overweight. I guess a fondness for cheese and beer will do that to you. Not surprisingly, there's also an awful lot of adult-onset diabetes, gall bladder problems, etc.

I'm never quite sure I get the weights and all right, it's so darned difficult borderline impossible to measure in inches and pounds and all those archaic non-linear systems, but IF the online calculators are right, I'm also just under 5'11' and weigh just under 160 pounds, and most people consider me really quite thin. The least I've weighed in my adult time was just over 140 pounds and I was looking like a starvation victim...I could wear my wife's clothes and she was only barely over five feet and 100 pounds.

tunghaichuan
February 5th, 2011, 09:34 AM
I could wear my wife's clothes and she was only barely over five feet and 100 pounds.

:what

TMI, dude, TMI. :poke :rollover

j/k :)

deeaa
February 5th, 2011, 12:43 PM
LOL it didn't come out quite like I intended it...not like dresses or anything of course...we just realized it some day when I accidentally wore her jeans and wondered for a while how damned short the legs had become all of the sudden. Realized we used the same jeans waist size (26 inches. Now I use 32, LOL.)

We also often use each others T-shirts etc.

sunvalleylaw
February 5th, 2011, 05:26 PM
:what

TMI, dude, TMI. :poke :rollover

j/k :)

Yeah, but I bet she raids his underwear drawer for his leopard prints! :bootyshake

deeaa
February 5th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Beware, or I'll post photos! :-)