PDA

View Full Version : Epi Joe Perry "Boneyard" LP--anybody played one??

duhvoodooman
September 30th, 2010, 07:21 AM
There's a guy on my local CL who is selling one of these at a REALLY good price, just a couple of miles from where I work. I don't really need another LP, but it's very tempting. Anybody here have experience with this model? Slick looking guitar, and it has genuine Gibson Burstbuckers.

Algonquin
September 30th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Just in the shops a few years ago DVM. I already had my Epi LP at the time, but was really tempted by what I considered the shear MoJo factor. It was one that I would have liked, but at the time couldn't justify.

I also considered the Tak Matsumoto, but the Gent I know at the shop thought the top layer was not much more than a thin veneer... might be worthwhile seeing if the Boneyard falls into the same category.

Tone2TheBone
September 30th, 2010, 08:49 AM
...I came back in here to make sure you bought that Boneyaaad.

Love,

The Tempt Police

duhvoodooman
September 30th, 2010, 02:07 PM
...I came back in here to make sure you bought that Boneyaaad.
Sorry to disappoint you, but I decided to pass on it. I looked at it & played it a bit during lunch--nice sounding & playing guitar, but nothing that really spoke to me. Certainly not special enough to seriously tempt me into buying a third LP, that I really didn't need.

One thing that really disappointed me was that "tiger stripe" finish. The product description would lead you to believe that it was a special stained flame maple finish, but I swear it looked painted on. Had no depth/3-dimensional character to it, which you'd expect from wood grain. I'm pretty sure it must be some kind of "foto flame" finish, like I've seen on some Strats. I was poking around on the web after seeing it, and came across this posting in a forum:

"Take a look at one in the store before buying one. The Epi version of the Boneyard has one of the worst looking laminated photo-flame tops you'll ever see, and it will jump out at you when you see it in person. Looks like a bad digital photo of the tiger stripes printed on cheap printer. The rest of the guitar is pretty sweet... but that top is just terrible in my opinion."I wouldn't put it quite that strongly, but the basic point agrees exactly with my impression. I guess the Gibson version does indeed have a gorgeous tiger maple top, but that guitar is $4,700....

Algonquin
September 30th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Good restraint DVM, thinking with your head... well done!

I've seen your Epi LP and it's gorgeous. You made the right move.

Tone2TheBone
September 30th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Well no one ever told me that was a photo flame finish sheese.:thwap