PDA

View Full Version : Possible find "Sat in attic for 12 years"

poodlesrule
September 30th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I may be able to pick up a free Japan-made Strat copy that "sat in attic for a dozen years". Make was a sub-brand of Matsumoku, I suspect.

Any advice on best approach getting this dormant guitar back to life?

Attic usually means high temperature. I wonder if it produced any damage?

Anyhow, update Friday eve!

Zip
September 30th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Any advice on best approach getting this dormant guitar back to life?

Yes, immediately mail the guitar to me for closer inspection. When I'm through, I may mail it back.
Maybe. ;)

Seriously, it may be in fine condition - or not. Clean it up, do a basic setup, plug it in and see where things stand. And post pics!!

6stringdrug
September 30th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I found a '72 sg in my grandmothers attic. had been up there for 25 years, in GEORGIA!!!!!!! after a pro setup, new strings and some deoxit, it played like brand new! The only thing was the neck was slightly bowed due to leaning against the wall for so long, the bow was so slight it was barely noticible, or "negligible" as my tech said. My cousin has it now and it still sings!

Tig
September 30th, 2010, 09:20 PM
I found a '72 sg in my grandmothers attic.

I love attic and garage sale find stories! What's cool is, you know there are still hundreds of vintage guitars and amps sitting in basements and attics out there, waiting for a lucky person with a good eye to find them.

I love watching PBS's Antiques Roadshow. It amazes me how many lucky finds there are out there.

XyxagsFDPks

http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/photo/gallery/100821/GAL-10Aug21-5503/media/PHO-10Aug21-246099.jpg

kidsmoke
October 1st, 2010, 06:43 AM
Very Cool. Matsumoku made some fantastic guitars. Lots of folks seek them out far and wide.

Check this out. (http://www.matsumoku.org/guitars.html)

poodlesrule
October 1st, 2010, 10:36 AM
Well, it's home, no pics yet, camera is heading home in a few hours.

It's a Mako LKS-3 Fat Strat, red with black pickguard, with a tiny extra switch which may be a series/parallel scheme (?)

Plywood body, beautiful blonde maple neck, (pointy!) with fairly big frets in good shape.
Pickguard has crack at middle pickup, humbucker is loose, but all is functional and sounds pretty scratchy, but pretty good
Very solid feel. Matsumuko heritage?

One issue is that, despite the five springs and the claw being screwed in quite a bit, the back of bridge sits abnormally up from the body. I guess I need to revisit my notes on Strat setup to find the proper way to adjust.

EDIT: Where does one get Doxit (RS?) and how is it applied?

6stringdrug
October 1st, 2010, 02:10 PM
Deoxit is available at your local guitar repair shop. You just spray it on th epots, move em around and let it dry. Thats it, if it doesnt fix the problem, chances are you need to replace something. I use it first before I start digging around inside the cavity. It works great for pedals Too!