PDA

View Full Version : Dean Deceiver X

Jx2
October 1st, 2010, 06:55 AM
When I got back into playing I knew I wanted 2 things. A Schecter and a single cut body. I looked hard at a Solo 6 Custom, but when testing out what ended up being my Randall. I ended up with a impulse buy killing the Solo 6. I did end up with a Schecter though. Anyways after a couple weeks playing the lack of a single cut was bugging me thats what I wanted and I knew I needed to get one. So I started looking for a afforable alternative.

Ended up settling on a Dean Deceiver X in the charcoal black finish. It arrived yesterday and Ive been very impressed so far. Here is the spec's

Single-cutaway shape
Carved mahogany body
25-1/2" scale
Bolt-on maple neck
"C" neck profile
Rosewood fingerboard
24 frets
Pearl Deceiver inlays
Grover tuners
Black nickel hardware
Tune-o-matic-style bridge
String-thru-body tail design
Dean DMT Design humbucking pickups
Master volume & tone controls, 3-way selector switch
Made in China

After just a under a day and several hours on it here is what I think.
It has a fast thin neck which I like. This guitar is very light, feels like your holding a football. Which seems odd for a mahogany body but it is thinner imo than most single cuts. I also beleive its a little slimmer overall profile on the body. Those arnt knocks at all, it doesnt hurt how it plays and I know several people who like single cuts but complain about the weight of most mahogany body's. The Dean DMT pups, need swapped. Seeing how this guitar cost $269 nib. Im not sure how much I want to invest in new pups for it. Thought about check'n out ebay and craigslist for a set of Epiphone Alinco II. Might go with either the Blues or Hot Rodded pups from SD to. Anyways I think the only major disappointment on this guitar was the finish. If you blew up the picture of the guitar on American Musical Supply. The charcoal finish looked alot like a black body with a silver metal flake finish. But when it arrived yesterday you can varly see any flake at all, if you order one and this finish isnt in stock just order the black you wont be able to tell a diffrence. Also the volume knob doesnt set flush. You can see the diffrence between the vol and tone knobs.

Overall on a 5 star scale, Id give it 4 stars figuring the price point and what was deleivered. Not perfect but again what do you expect from a sub $300 guitar? Now the true test will it stand the test of time?

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_118564ca5da15e7021.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1790)

I'll post a pic of mine when I get to the store to get some batterys for the camera.

Kestrel
October 9th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Looking forward to seeing your pics. Congrats on your new guitar. It's surprising how far Chinese manufacturing standards have improved in the last few years.