PDA

View Full Version : fine tuner stop tailpiece for gibson

gordy_sg_no1
October 1st, 2010, 07:46 PM
ok ive just seen the gibson TP6 and the schaller equivalent fine tuning tailpieces how do they perform. if anybody has heard about or used one could they tell me as im thinking of one for an over haul im doing for a friend of mine

markb
October 1st, 2010, 08:14 PM
Fine tuners are essential on fiddles because friction pegs are awful.
A guy round here's got one on his 335. I've never seen him use it.

deeaa
October 2nd, 2010, 02:24 PM
The gibby and the Schaller both rock, I love 'em. Essential to any guitar IMO, they pretty much completely remove the need for using the actual tuners except when setting up. Had the TP-6 on my Les Paul for 13 years and the original Klusons were still tight as new, hardly ever used 'em.

There seems to be little difference to Schaller's version and TP-6, the Scaller is just a touch bigger/looks heftier. But there are a few differences; on TP-6 the black bit that holds the ball end of string can sometimes fall to an awkward position when there's no string - so you just 'fish' it up, no biggie, and the Schaller one has the hole for the same bit shaped so that if the string breaks near the ball end (and they always do for me), it's sometimes really hard to get the ball out of the cavity. But both are minor annoyances I STRONGLY recommend either one.

I never had a roller bridge on the paul, and it still worked fine, but I have rollers (schaller and some I forget) on two of my current axes, and it works very well, so I'd definitely recommed also a roller bridge with a fine-tune stoppiece.