PDA

View Full Version : LP toggle switch/pickup repair help

scorona
October 2nd, 2010, 08:39 AM
Need a little help/advice. I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to electronics repair.

I'm not getting any sound when engaging the "treble" pickup on my Epi LP when the toggle switch is in the middle or down position. Is there a quick easy way to determine if the problem is the toggle switch or the pickup/connection?

Thanks,
Sam

bcdon
October 2nd, 2010, 11:13 AM
Need a little help/advice. I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to electronics repair.

I'm not getting any sound when engaging the "treble" pickup on my Epi LP when the toggle switch is in the middle or down position. Is there a quick easy way to determine if the problem is the toggle switch or the pickup/connection?

Thanks,
Sam

I had a similar problem with the bridge on an Epi. Open up the back cover and see if you have a loose connection on the volume control, if so, just re-solder it. You might also want to get an ohm meter and check the conductivity between the switch and the volume controls.

Also, by "down position" do you mean the treble/neck is engaged right? Some LPs are wired such that if either the bridge, or the neck, have a volume of 0 and you switch to the middle position, both pups are zeroed.

ZMAN
October 2nd, 2010, 11:21 AM
This is one of my favourite complaints with Epi guitars. Their switches are CRAP. I have replaced almost every one on my 5 Epis. I even had to replace the switch on my Japanese Elitist and they are supposed to have US hardware/electronics. Not so for the switch. Try flipping the switch rapidly a few times. That will sometimes clean out the crud between the contacts. Just replace it with a new switchcraft. You will have to eventually anyway. I have written emails to Epi and they don't give a damn.
99% of the time that is what is wrong.

Retro Hound
October 2nd, 2010, 02:49 PM
I took my switch out and gingerly tweaked it back into contact with some needle-nose pliers and haven't had a problem since. Here' my thread (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=15552)with the helpful hints from the community.

markb
October 2nd, 2010, 05:04 PM
This is one of my favourite complaints with Epi guitars. Their switches are CRAP. I have replaced almost every one on my 5 Epis. I even had to replace the switch on my Japanese Elitist and they are supposed to have US hardware. Not so for the switch. Try flipping the switch rapidly a few times. That will sometimes clean out the crud between the contacts. Just replace it with a new switchcraft. You will have to eventually anyway. I have written emails to Epi and they don't give a damn.
99% of the time that is what is wrong.

+1. Don't bother with the cheaper switches. I think I've replaced the switch on every Epiphone I've ever owned.

deeaa
October 2nd, 2010, 11:42 PM
+1 for the switch change, last Epi I had didn't last 2 weeks before I swiftly switched the switch for a switchcraft switch as the switch didn't switch like it should have switched as if bewitched, but then I switched the whole guitar soon.

scorona
October 3rd, 2010, 04:41 AM
After opening up the back covers, I didn't find any loose connections so I suspect the problem is the switch itself. Didn't realize that is a typical issue with Epi's. Thanks for all the input.