PDA

View Full Version : LIne 6 Spider IV Anyone tried a 30, or 75

ZMAN
October 2nd, 2010, 07:35 PM
I am looking for a small modelling amp to leave at my daughters place to play when I travel there. For the money the Line 6 Spider IV, 30, or even the 75 looks like it would be a great amp for my purposes. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience? The youtube vids sound pretty good.
I am not looking for a gigging amp. I have that covered. I like the built in effects and the presets.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

ibanezjunkie
October 4th, 2010, 03:15 PM
bah, Line 6 Spider amps are the modelling equivalent of marshall MGs Imo. Spider IIIs were crap, Spider IV is better but still pretty Naff. Roland Cubes or Vox's Valvetronix are much better tone and flexibility wise.

sumitomo
October 4th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Zman have you ever played around a micro cube in a bedroom,I think you might like it.Their cheap very portable(even run on batteries)I get a great tone set on blackface with some delay.Sumi:D

ZMAN
October 5th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Interesting replies. I have a Vox Pathfinder 15R there now and it is OK. I have a couple of pedals to hook up. I would like to just be able to use the amp and guitar, and have some options. I am looking for a fuller tube tone with effects included. I will try to listen to vids of other modelling amps, but I would like some recommendations.

I searched and found what most of you guys are recommending and I see the Vox VT30 and the Super Champ XD a lot. I took a look at the Youtube vids and I think the XD just about nails it.
I will be looking locally for one used if possible.
Any more thoughts on the Champ XD. Noisey? Issues?

Duffy
October 5th, 2010, 09:41 AM
The Super Champ, which I own, has the Eminence Ragin' Cajun speaker upgrade which I put in and it sounds way better, but was already satisfactory of course.

It has a different tube design than the chromies by VOX; it has a full sized preamp tube and a full sized power amp tube, Fender type. It is 15 - 20 watts of tube power, depending how you measure it. With the Ragin' Cajun highly sensitive speaker it is really LOUD when cranked but is quite nice at low volumes.

It has about sixteen amp models, eight Fender models that are quite nice and eight other models that emulate Vox, Marshall, etc. You can find great amp model tones with any guitar.

It has a few effects: reverb, delay, combinations of effects, chorus, tremolo, vibrato. These have adjustable parameters, but not like my Vox DA5 or the chromies, which have a lot of parameters and settings to play with.

The latest version of the chromie is pretty nice. I played one, the 50 I think, and it sounded way better than the AD60VTX NOS that I'm thinking of getting at a very discounted price. The VT50 might be a better amp though. The Chromies have a lot of amp models and very tweakable effects and are really fun to play with. You can get some incredible sounds out of them. I would say that they are not a gig type amp, but guys gig with VT50's and 100's in both the new and old variations. But I think the NEW variation, the VT50, etc., sound better than the old Valvetronix VT50XL's or whatever they were. The new ones dropped the "autowah" effect though. I think they should have kept it.

Also, the little Vox DA5, with the six and a half inch speaker defies your expectations and produces some great tones with its models and effects, all with two or three parameters of adjustability; and, most importantly, the DA5 runs off six "C" cell batteries for 30 hours or wall current, puts out 0.5, 2.5, or 5 watts. A half a watt is loud, very loud for camping trips, picnics, etc.

I think the VT50 Vox chromie has a power attenuator and an effects loop; where the lower models don't.

I like the SCXD and don't own a chromie other than the DA5, but I would buy a chromie without hesitation. Although they don't have the tube design of the SCXD, they do have a preamp type tube, supposedly in the power amp section but I'm not sure if it is a full sized preamp tube or a mini tube and I'm pretty sure it is HARD to get to. Nevertheless, I'd buy a chromie VT50 without hesitation if I wanted one, based upon my experience playing it and evaluating its tone, powerful and clear. But this was the VT50, not the 30.

If you want to get a used item, the old AD60VTX or AD120VTX's were great amps and have even more tweakability than the new versions and were considered superior to the old Valvetronix chromies of their day. They have the classic Vox grill cloth and are blue tolex with gold piping similar to the classic AC30's. Like I said, there is an AD60VTX by me that is NOS that I think I can get for a small amount; but pretty much forget about fixing these things - they are like highly computerized with all sorts of complicated and expensive to fix circuits. So if something other than something simple goes wrong, you are going to have a hard time finding someone with the education to fix one of these things; and the parts might be expensive, not to mention the labor cost to diagnose, design, and build the replacement circuit if it's no longer available for a used old style chromie. A new style VT50 or 30 would be the way to go I think - warranty.

For reliability the SCXD probably far excells the chromies. The Roland Cube 80x looks like a real good amp as well; it replaced the Cube 60.

Still, a lot of people I talk to have Vox chromies and claim that their personal experience has been that their units have been very reliable, except for the occaisional input jack needing repairing, etc.

It's a tuff decision. The Fender is really a nice classic looking and sounding amp with Fender clean, but the others have lots of bells and whistles that can be a lot of fun. I'd say, in conclusion, that in my opinion the Fender SCXD is a more serious amp than the others, which border on being in the toy type category; but very fun and nice toys if I must say so.

I thought the Peavey Vypyrs were cheaply built and looked hokie with all the Christmass Tree lights. Way "open" backs, little bracing. The Vox AD60VTX, old style, has a closed back design.

Hope all these details and opinions are of some use to you in making your final decision.

Retro Hound
October 5th, 2010, 10:11 AM
The Vox VT30 has the power attenuator so you can turn down the absolute volume while keeping the amp volume up. In other words, maintaining the sound of the amp volume while keeping it quiet enough to play in the house.

Some of the comments I've seen say that the Vox is better at high gain sounds than the Fender Super Champ XD, but I prefer cleaner anyway. I wish I knew someone with a SCXD so we could trade for a while. I can never decide if I like the Vox better (which is the one I bought) or if I should have gone the SCXD.

ibanezjunkie
October 5th, 2010, 10:28 AM
since you mentioned pedals and such, line 6 amps are notoriously pedal-phobic ive heard, never tried it but i dont think id like to.

anyway, the Vox can probably emulate quite nicely the sound of the champ, but the champ cant make all the noises the vox can xD

a question of flexibility

ZMAN
October 5th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Great comments guys. I am not looking for much in the versatility department. I play blues and I have a couple of tones in my head. I heard a couple of vids on Youtube with both the 30 and the XD and the XD just nailed both tones. I like the fact that I don't really need to bother with pedals to get that tone. I have them If I really need them though. I like the fact that it IS a tube amp, and it sound great with both Strats and HB guitars.
Now to hear one live.
Hey Duff: it must be my aging hearing but I heard some A/B tests on the stock speakers in the VT and the XD compared to a ragin cagun and I like the stock speaker better. I already have a DRRI, and a BJ with the special ediition Jensen so I am good with that tone.
I remember you mentioning the XD, and at the time I was on a Marshall quest. To tell you the truth I liked the Vox Pathfinder that I bought to use at my daughters, at first but now I hate it. Just another reason to look at the XD.

Katastrophe
October 5th, 2010, 06:26 PM
I happen to love the Line 6. Some of the models are touch/volume knob sensitive, and clean up with lighter playing and volume knob manipulation.

The models are first rate, IMO.

The downside with the Line 6 or the Peavey is that, in order to get the most out of the effects, you would really need to get one of the footswitches as well, and that can get pricey. Great for gigging, not so much for a "leave at another house" amph.

I think that the SCXD is a great choice. Maybe it doesn't have the editing capabilities of some of the models, but the effects are good, and I wouldn't twiddle with 'em much, even if I could. The price is right, and you don't have to purchase a footswitch to use the amph to it's full capability. Of course, a footswitch is about $25.

I don't own either amph, but have played both...

Duffy
October 5th, 2010, 10:22 PM
I'm with you Z. The SCXD is awesome; however, in person I think you would
would appreciate the ragin' cajun because it is a great speaker. When you take out the old one and compare it to the stock speaker the magnet is like at least ten times larger, and I'm sure that big magnet has to do with its tone. The main reason I bought it was because it has a sensitivity rating of over 100Db. It is LOUD and lets me drownd out a loud drummer friend of mine, which I appreciate because long ago he yelled at me to, "Get a real amp!", when I had a small low wattage amp that was not capable of reaching the volume necessary to jam with him, because he is a slammer and knows one volume - full tilt boogie. He is an outstanding drummer and his Dad was a pro drummer himself.

I like the SCXD better than the chromie too.

Also, a point to consider might be that the "toy factor" and almost toy-like appearance of the chromie might be VERY tempting to any children at the location the amp will be; whereas, the SCXD looks like a regular amp and may not draw unbridled attention from youngsters. The chromies just look like something a kid would like to just play around with all the buttons and knobs, just for fun. This could, if left unattended and carried on over an extended period of time, lead to potentially very expensive problems. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Today I played a blacktop Jaguar thru a Hot Rod Deluxe III with a hardwire tube distortion pedal on the clean channel, to good effect. I might get the hardwire tube distortion, used, for 30 US.

Also, that AD60VTX is calling my name. New Old Stock (NOS). I didn't want to play it because I didn't want to bring attention to it. It is like a hot rodded chromie, disguised as a AC30, quite nice.

Anyone here have any experience with the AD60 or 120VTX'es? I'll start another thread.

Your idea to go for the SCXD is a great idea in my opinion. You will love it with the stock speaker. It does sound good, I must admit. It is an awesome little amp that I recommend to a lot of people that I see looking at inferior amps, some solid state, that cost the same or more money. I have even helped dudes audition one of them on a few occaisions just because I know a little about how to manipulate the settings.

With the SCXD you have to set up the controls for each model; it's not like turning the dial on an old TV and changing channels. Each model actually emulates the amp being copied and the controls take on the characteristics, sort of, of the original amp; so you have to adjust the controls for each model or the amp model won't sound right, or even good in some cases. Once I learned this I found that a lot of the models that I didn't like came to a new life and now sound super great to me.

The SCXD is a great amp and is deep, in that it has hidden capabilities that you have to learn or discover, and it will blow your mind. A lot of guys like it better than the Blues Jr.

Plus you get a Five year warranty, not a one year one like on so many other amps.

When are you going to get one? Why is it so hard to find one to try out in your area? Don't forget, you have to reset the controls for each model; and, the clean channel is great - clean to the ceiling almost.

I'm grooving on my Tweaker tonight with my Agile AL 3100 flammed cherry burst, top and bottom bound - awesome buy class A deal at 299 from Rondo. I want a black one. Almost tried a blacktop Fender Jazzmaster today but the switch didn't work for the neck P90, so why bother trying it out. I played the Jaguar blacktop instead and it sounded real good. They also have a Epi LP plus top honeyburst in mint condition, one and a half months old for 400 with a hardshell case. I already have a solid amber one with covered SD JB and 59 that sounds and plays great, but the Agile is hard to beat.

I hope you find a great deal on a used SCXD. I don't know how you guys find these deals on ebay, etc. Everytime I look the stuff is as expensive or moreso than brand new stuff with warranties.

ZMAN
October 6th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Duff: I won't be heading down there again until the spring. They come up here for Christmas week, but space is at a premium with the dog and their son.
I have other commitements right now so I am taking it slow and easy with the amp. I should have brought the Vox home with me and sold it. I have an add on Kijijji and if not I will try to have one sent to her house from one of the online retailers. The prices up here are more and Tax is 13%. Now we are in the 400 range and it is not worth that to me.
Truthfully though I haven't even looked in the shops locally but there are some great deals on Kijiji. That is our equivalent of Craigslist. I am not sure if you have it down there?
Thanks for all the input guys. It only strengthened what I was feeling.

Duffy
October 6th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Zman, I have a Squier Cherryburst Deluxe like yours, with the two point tremolo bridge.

My son's friends banged it up pretty badly while I was in my separation - finally divorced very successfully now. It was dinged and scratched. I took my palm sander and sanded the neck down to the wood then fine sanded it. I sanded out the dings and scratches. It looks better than the factory relic jobs. Then I bought a set of Fender Custom Shop Fat 50's single coils for it and installed them. Wow. That's all I can say. That Cherry Burst strat never sounded so good. I really like it now but I liked it a lot before. They just banged it up so bad it wasn't making me happy to look at or play. The relic job, treated with linseed oil over the bare wood areas and neck, and the new pickups have transformed this guitar into an awesome new thing, quite different from what it originally was. I really like this guitar.

Have you ever tried Fat 50's? They are noise cancelling in the two and four switch positions.

Next I want to put a set of EMG T active single coil noiseless pickups in one of my Fender telecasters.

Then I'll be able to play my EMG equipped tele thru the high gain amp models on my SCXD. I'm looking forward to that.

You will really love that SCXD when you get it. Make sure it is in perfect condition.

Good luck and "he who hesitates is lost", sometimes. You just have to know when, and when it comes to a good used SCXD I wouldn't be square dancing around.

ZMAN
October 6th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Don't you worry Duffy I will jump on a good thing when it comes along.
Just not in any hurry at the moment. Oh BTW I am negotiating a trade with a guy who has a Gibson Fireburst Studio like the one I traded. Up for grabs is the Cherryburst, the FMT and a couple of Gibson copies. He hasn't gostten back to me on what he wants to trade for. I am not buying any more new guitars. I am trading or selling and using the money to buy. So it may be gone. Pretty guitar but I have so many nice Strats the lustre is falling off the Squiers.

Duffy
October 6th, 2010, 05:39 PM
True Z.

Not to sound bossy, but some people lose some great deals because they don't recognize that principle is in effect, especially when really good equipment is available. Plus, it's hard to know when the principle IS in effect.

I understand what you mean about Squiers. I recently bought two Fender telecasters with which I'm totally happy.

The SCXD is certainly a neat amp. I'm sure you will have a hard time leaving it behind when you go back home.

I am still thinking about that NOS Valvetronix AD60VTX at an awesome price. These amps have had reliability issues though, and that holds me back. Thinking of saving my money for the black Agile double bound I want, or even a Fender blacktop.

Saw a blacktop Jazzmaster and wanted to play it but the P90 in the neck could not be activated so what was the purpose? It looks way better in person than the pictures suggest. It was a black one. A black pearl pickguard would look awesome on that guitar, or a tortoise shell guard. Replace that P90 with a Seymour Duncan quiet P Rail for some versitility and . . . . Dreaming again. I definitely like that Jazzmaster blacktop though.

ZMAN
October 7th, 2010, 07:46 AM
I received a reply to my add from a guy who has a Vibro Champ XD with only 10 hours on it. A smaller version of the Super at 5 watts and an 8 inch speaker. Any feedback on that one. I am not a fan of small watt amps.
It has just about all the same features in a smaller package. Not sure if I like the 8 inch speaker. I don't know what he wants for it yet.
The buzz on the local net is that the Supers are going for over 400 now in some stores. Still 299 at MF though.

Blaze
October 7th, 2010, 12:04 PM
X_5uuxye-CE

Duffy
October 7th, 2010, 12:41 PM
The Vibrochamp is okay, but I would hold out for a Super Champ considering the very small difference in price. The value of the SCXD is greater than the price difference between the two, absolutely.

When you try the Super Champ you will see how great it is. Nevertheless, those Vox'es, although reputably unreliable and expensive to fix, are great amps.

ZMAN
October 7th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks Blaze I have seen that one and I noticed for the whole thing the gain was just about off and the volume was at 8. I have heard this amp has a lot of 60 cycle hum.
I probably will go with the Super Champ. They guy wanted 200 for his and I really don't want that amp.

ZMAN
October 12th, 2010, 02:45 PM
I finally got around to pricing the Super Champ XD at my local guy. He is selling it for 329. The only drawback is the 13% sales tax. I asked him what he thought of it and he said if it came in a higher wattage size that he could gig with he would use one. He really likes them. Of course he could have any amp in the shop so that is a big plus for the amp.

Duffy
October 12th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Good deal, Z. I hope you get it.

My SCXD is awesome. I put an Eminence Ragin' Cajun in, myself with no problem, and it makes it a lot louder; this speaker is recommended by the SCXD so called guru, Bill M. The RC is a LOT more sensitive in Db than the stock speaker, the RC is over 100Db. This means that it results in the amp being a LOT louder because of the few Db difference in sensitivity of the speaker. Using a more sensitive speaker is the best way to make any amp louder. The speaker does an excellent job of reproducing the modeled sounds as well.

When you compare the speakers, if you care to do a speaker swap, the RC weighs about four or five times as much as the stock speaker, and the stock speaker, in comparison, looks cheaply made and weak next to the RC. The magnet on the RC is at least four times the radius of the stock speaker and at least about two and a half times as thick. It weighs multiples of the stock speaker. This magnet has a lot to do with the way the RC pushes air, even at low volumes.

To each their own. Many people are okay with the stock flimsy speaker, but it was definitely a cost cutting compromise and Fender knows that a lot of guys upgrade the speakers in their amps.

The SCXD has a host of super great amp models and takes pedals well, in addition to the built in effects. The clean channel is really good as well.

Good luck making your decision. I am sure it is worth it.

ZMAN
October 18th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Well it looks as if I have one tracked down. The super Champ XD. I got an email about one today. I will be able to pick it up for 225 total. I have to meet the guy on Wednesday, it is mint and will be in the original box with all the tags and packaging. I will save about 150 Can. on the deal.
Now I guess I will have to track down a Rajin Cajun.

Duffy
October 18th, 2010, 11:38 PM
Great. You will like it.

Be sure to mess with the controls for each model, because each model utilizes the controls similar to the original model; which means that the controls take on new qualities for each amp model.

Therefore, if you are like me when I first got mine and just changed voices without changing the controls other than volume, I didn't think a lot of the models sounded awesome. Later I found out you have to adjust the controls for each model, like the Tweed, to get it to sound right. Now I can get great sounds out of all the models.

I'm thinking you WILL have a hard time leaving this amp behind when you go to and fro.

Good luck on grabbing this one.

The fenderforum.com (http://www.thefret.net/fenderforum.com) has a great, huge, thread on the SCXD - couple thousand posts at least I think. Haven't been there in a while though.

ZMAN
October 19th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Great. You will like it.

Be sure to mess with the controls for each model, because each model utilizes the controls similar to the original model; which means that the controls take on new qualities for each amp model.

Therefore, if you are like me when I first got mine and just changed voices without changing the controls other than volume, I didn't think a lot of the models sounded awesome. Later I found out you have to adjust the controls for each model, like the Tweed, to get it to sound right. Now I can get great sounds out of all the models.

I'm thinking you WILL have a hard time leaving this amp behind when you go to and fro.
Good luck on grabbing this one.

The fenderforum.com (http://www.thefret.net/fenderforum.com) has a great, huge, thread on the SCXD - couple thousand posts at least I think. Haven't been there in a while though.

I priced a Rajun Cajun and they are 79 plus 13% tax and shippping. There goes my savings on the amp.
I will try it with the stock speaker and I may wait until I am in the US to pick up the speaker.