PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm....

Jx2
October 2nd, 2010, 08:06 PM
First off I wasnt sure where to post this. If its the wrong spot then I appologize and move it if need be.

Over the years Ive listened to about everything under the sun. My taste's have ranged from Billie Holliday to bands that make Slayer look weak. One band Ive tried and tried to get into over the years is The Rolling Stones. Ive bought a few albums from time to time and while I like songs like Paint it Black and Satisfaction. Ive never really been able to truely get into them. Today I had the itch for a new cd, but was at the local Wal Mart so the selection was slim pickings. Ended up giving the Stones another shot and picked up Exile on Main St. I got to say I either missed this one or my ears have changed a little. Im really digging that early late 60's early 70's blues rock sound it has. So Ive decided next time I go looking for a cd I want to see if I cant find another gem like this one out of the Stones discography. So my question is what album of theirs would you suggest next? Im not worried about what songs are on it. But I am looking for one like this that I can just put in and push play and not even be tempted to hit the skip button.

Zip
October 2nd, 2010, 09:01 PM
Sticky Fingers. No question, one of their best.

Tig
October 2nd, 2010, 10:40 PM
I'm not trying to be just another nay-sayer, but The Stones have been a mixed bag for me for decades until it hit me...
If I could remove Mick Jagger's vocals and replace them with any one of a few dozen decent singers, they would be the perfect band!

Seriously, ol' Mick makes even Exile on Main Street un-listenable to me these days. Those Keef riffs and song structures can be incredible.

deeaa
October 3rd, 2010, 04:19 AM
Um, yeah, that's the thing that's kept me off Stones as well in the past, the somewhat off-key vocals and overall a bit too 'loose' or 'live' a feel to it all. But I've heard a few of their songs quite a lot of late in the radio, that devil song for instance and some others...maybe it's time to try and listen again.

helliott
October 3rd, 2010, 04:40 PM
They're one of those bands you either like or don't like, I've found, in a rather extreme way. In addition to the two albums mentioned, I'd recommend Beggar's Banquet. Also, Get Yer Ya Ya's Out.

guitarhack
October 4th, 2010, 08:00 AM
+1 for "Sticky Fingers", my favorite Stones album.

Perfect Stranger
October 4th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Sticky Fingers defo.....not a loser on the album!

marnold
October 4th, 2010, 08:31 AM
"Hot Rocks 1964-1971" pretty much fills all of my RS needs. "Gimme Shelter" is one of my all-time favs.

duhvoodooman
October 4th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Another vote for Sticky Fingers (prolly my favorite overall Stones album) and also a plug for 1969's Let It Bleed, which contains Gimme Shelter, You Can't Always Get What You Want, the original version of Midnight Rambler, the titular tune, and a personal favorite of mine, Monkey Man. :rockon: :rockya