PDA

View Full Version : kill switch

gordy_sg_no1
October 2nd, 2010, 08:07 PM
where is the best place to fit a kill switch on a strat for easy use. its a mini toggle not a momentary switch as this is my first one (gibbers dont need them) im baffled on placement. i was thinking kinda near the knobs or would it be better in in the same placement tom morrelo has his. i just refuse to put it in the midle of the pickguard as its right in my strumming arc and i dont want any fouling up with it. im going to do it on an evil bay wreck to test wether it works in that placement first before i mess up the good one.

deeaa
October 2nd, 2010, 11:10 PM
I suppose that's entirely up to where you want it to be...just put it anywhere you like.

BUT inquiring minds want to know - I see used guitars often having the killswitch put in...what is it actually used for? Is it meant for sort of manual noise gate, to make some extreme hardcore rhythms by flipping it back and forth, or what?

gordy_sg_no1
October 3rd, 2010, 06:30 PM
well its used for a few thing, if you flick it back and fourth you can get a realy cool stutter effect much like if you take a gibson and silence the neck pickup and flick the selector switch, kinda like randy rhodes in crazy train. you can silence the guitar between songs for tuning and to stop the dreaded mid set humming. another reason is stopping chords ringing kinda like a audio brick wall. and if you play live as i do, i drink quite alot of water and when you lean over the guitar to grab a bottle and the strings start ringing, thats gone 2. they are realy the performance uses. most people are only trying to replicate tom morello and a few others. oh and i have found its best next to the volume as its easy to use and out of the way so no accidents, im installing it soon as i have another pressing issue with a b bender tele .......... which i am looking forward to.

deeaa
October 3rd, 2010, 11:34 PM
OK, so it's much as I expected...I have a 'mute' pedal switch for that. I almost never use any controls on my guitars, it'd be pretty much the same for me if there were no pots or switches at all on my guitars :-) I only use the bridge pup ever anyway, and although I used to use the volume knob quite a lot to control the drive etc. it's now also almost neglible since I got me a more complex foot controller.