PDA

View Full Version : Trouble choosing and interface/Daw

guitarmadman85
October 4th, 2010, 12:23 PM
I'm not sure what would be the best recording interface/Daw for me. I am debating between three choices:
1. Presonus firestudio mobile and studio 1 pro.
I really like the quality of the interface in the mic pres and converters, and I like how easy studio 1 is to use, but it's not pro tools, and doesn't have the featured plug-ins.
2. M-Audio mobile-pre mkII and pro tools m powered. Better software, quite a bit less quality of interface. Enough channels to meet minimum needs.
3. "Avid" mbox mini, and pro tools LE. Least amount of channels, but I could still get by. I would get the mbox over the m-audio it is meant better converters and better pres.

I record guitar and bass direct, vocals with a condenser, and drums with a drum machine. I want the best quality finished product. Thanks for the help!

Spudman
October 4th, 2010, 01:26 PM
I think any that you have listed will work great. I use the Lexicon Omega with 8 inputs. It seems to be good too.

One thing I think you should know is that if you can get a system that comes with Cubase, you can go to the monthly workshops in Salt Lake and get some great operating tips and lessons. That helps to get over the steep learning curve that DAWs have.

deeaa
October 5th, 2010, 04:49 AM
I like presonus, and Cubase is my choice over pro tools. Somehow Cubase to me feels most like real mixers and such, and while it's super simple in basic form you can open up stuff like volume curves very logically and so on. Colors and all are very clear too...protools seems very confusing to me in comparison. Cubase you can learn pretty well in 10 minutes if you have any com.uter and mixer experience...but still there is so much to dig up I still learn something new every other time I use it. It lends itself very well for self-study, as everything is thoroughly explained and clearly presented. Just my 2c.