PDA

View Full Version : Squier p bass korean

Nay
October 4th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Hey guys,

My brother just got a pretty good deal on a MIM Fender J Bass and a MIK Squier P Bass (1995 Vester) package deal on craigslist. Now he wants me to buy the Squier. Does anyone know anything about the Vester korean squiers? From what I've read so far, they don't seem like anything special, and I've heard the body's are made from plywood/laminates? Anyone have anything good to say about them haha?

I ask because I kind of want to start a project, but I'm not really sure this bass would be worth investing in.

gndboy
November 28th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Do you already play bass? Can you lay hands on this instrument prior to purchase? It might be pretty good at a bargain price. Any instrument that is readily playable and plays in tune with itself is 95% of the way home. With a Squire you need to check out the fret ends that they don't stick out from the fretboard and nick your hand. My experience with Squires is they need a little TLC, and can be made into fine basses with judicious use of a flat file, new strings, and an accurate tuner (not one with the needle meter), like a Korg DT-3. Made in Korea shouldn't be a turn off. Squire basses can be tweaked into really nice axes.

rick04901
November 30th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Hey, Nay:

Recently bought (on ebay for $129) a Squier Deluxe P-Bass (there's a j-bass pup in it too!). The neck feels good, plenty of punch in the pickups (oh, well, maybe I'll upgrade to Seymours later - we'll see). Fit and finish are excellent, electronics seem fine, too. That said, I'm a guitar player who plays bass, so I'm a self-admitted non-conisseur (sp) of the finer points of the electric bass. Good luck!:wave:

Brian Krashpad
December 1st, 2010, 07:51 PM
I had an MIK Squier Strat that was pretty craptastic, but those MIK Squiers apparently were all over the map, I have seen plenty of people rave about the ones they have/had.

If you can play first, could be worthwhile.