PDA

View Full Version : Old but newbie

Soulmann
October 5th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Hey all, been a drummer most a my life, but due to age and abuse, I am now becoming a guitar player... Bit of a challenge as I have only 3 working fingers on my fret hand... the pinky was broken so badly that I can barley put pressure on it and it folds sideways, so I can sorta use it sparingly... hence no lessons nor any real help... SO I sit and let my fingers figure out stuff themselves... and they seem to do OK... other small setback is the injuries to my shoulders that have lost both collarbones and I have severe arthritis in my neck that shuts down my hands sometimes... so I play till either the burning in my shoulders is too much to bear, or I lose feeling in my fingers... But I will continue to love making music however primative it may be. I am lookin to maximize what I can do with 3 fingers.. I have looked at triads of course.. but alot of other chords take 4 fingers and that's not gonna happen anytime soon.... I will push the pinky to try to strengthen it some, but surgical damage to the ligament has it somewhat limited, and uncontrolable.Oh well enough poor me stuff, or as we like to call it my PMS... I am here to see what I can learn and maybe make a buddy or 2 ... :canada:

Tig
October 5th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Welcome to The Fret, Soulmann!
You have come to the right place and are welcome.

Django Reinhardt happens to be a big influence around here. You might like him as well... (he used only 2 fingers and his thumb, in case you've never heard of him)

-iJ7bs4mTUY

Robert
October 5th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Hey man, welcome! Are you in :canada:, brotha?

MAXIFUNK
October 5th, 2010, 02:47 PM
WELCOME and I'll never complain about my carpal tunnel again.
Keep rocking brother!! :rockya

Eric
October 5th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Welcome!

kiteman
October 13th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Glad to have you here Soulmann and I admire your determination to enjoy your guitar. I too have problems like neck and shoulder pains on top of my lower back injury but I just love guitars. There's always a way to enjoy guitars.

Brian Krashpad
October 13th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Welcome, and do watch that Django clip!

Mr Pants
October 14th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Welcome!

player
November 6th, 2010, 02:17 PM
wow,,thats impressive..the love for music and the dedication really pushes us forward.. I have a younger brother who was shot in his left arm years ago who also Was a drummer.today he does play guitar with just one finger using the open tuning E.the kid shocks me at how well he can do what he does and he ain't no kid anymore but then again neither am I.

Soulmann
January 3rd, 2011, 09:53 PM
Welcome to The Fret, Soulmann!
You have come to the right place and are welcome.

Django Reinhardt happens to be a big influence around here. You might like him as well... (he used only 2 fingers and his thumb, in case you've never heard of him)

-iJ7bs4mTUY

Thanks for the welcome Tig...

Yes I look up to him as an inspiration...

Soulmann
January 3rd, 2011, 09:55 PM
Hey man, welcome! Are you in :canada:, brotha?

Hey Robert, ya I am in Victoria BC ... bout as far west as ya can go without swimming LOL :dance

Soulmann
January 3rd, 2011, 10:01 PM
Glad to have you here Soulmann and I admire your determination to enjoy your guitar. I too have problems like neck and shoulder pains on top of my lower back injury but I just love guitars. There's always a way to enjoy guitars.

Cheers Kiteman, Ya I have a partially paralysed leg from a lower back injury that broke 2 vertabra and destroyed a disc.. it still gives me alot of pain as the surgery failed to relieve all the pressure on the nerves.. it took away my drumming... Oh was a semi professional drummer for 30 years, but the injuries have slowly taken that down to a very limited performance now. So I know what it takes to be a good musician... I practice pratice practice...

I just love making music... if I had nothing left but my head, I would find a way to make music LOL

Keep on keepin on :thumbsup

Soulmann
January 3rd, 2011, 10:03 PM
I have a younger brother who was shot in his left arm years ago who also Was a drummer.today he does play guitar with just one finger using the open tuning E.the kid shocks me at how well he can do what he does and he ain't no kid anymore but then again neither am I.

Awesome story Player, thanks for sharing... I admire anyone that refuses to take a handicap as a handicap... good on yer Bro... :dude

sunvalleylaw
January 3rd, 2011, 10:41 PM
Missed this one. Welcome!

Soulmann
January 3rd, 2011, 11:04 PM
Missed this one. Welcome!

I walk quietly and carry a big guitar :socool

kiteman
January 4th, 2011, 03:14 AM
Cheers Kiteman, Ya I have a partially paralysed leg from a lower back injury that broke 2 vertabra and destroyed a disc.. it still gives me alot of pain as the surgery failed to relieve all the pressure on the nerves.. it took away my drumming... Oh was a semi professional drummer for 30 years, but the injuries have slowly taken that down to a very limited performance now. So I know what it takes to be a good musician... I practice pratice practice...

I just love making music... if I had nothing left but my head, I would find a way to make music LOL

Keep on keepin on :thumbsup

My head is a better guitar player than me. :D

Soulmann
January 4th, 2011, 08:21 AM
My head is a better guitar player than me. :D

:D :D :D :D :D

I do believe that is an illusion we all suffer from time to time. :greenguitar:

FrankenFretter
January 4th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Welcome aboard! You're just across the Strait from BC Don. I love Victoria, it's a great place. Glad to see that you're staying musical despite your injury!

Soulmann
January 4th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Welcome aboard! You're just across the Strait from BC Don. I love Victoria, it's a great place. Glad to see that you're staying musical despite your injury!

Cheers Sean, I go to the Mainland every month to tend to my Mother who is 1/2 paralysed from a stroke... sure makes me glad I live on the Island LOL

kidsmoke
January 4th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Welcome to the fret, Soulmann. Beautiful part of the planet that you're from.

Soulmann
January 4th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Welcome to the fret, Soulmann. Beautiful part of the planet that you're from.

Thanks Tio, ya I love being within 15 minutes of long secluded beaches and nature... I live in downtown Victoria, so the beaches and the beauty of this place is part of my sanity.

Monkus
January 4th, 2011, 12:36 PM
A very humble welcome !!!!

Soulmann
January 4th, 2011, 02:04 PM
A very humble welcome !!!!

Thank you Monkus :dude