PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Movie: True Grit (Joel & Ethen Coen)

Tig
October 5th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Looks like a can't miss movie from the Coen brothers,
starring Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, and Josh Brolin.

Comes out Christmas day. Only Jeff Bridges can play this role after John Wayne.

Trailer:
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810153253/video/22265614

Robert
October 5th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Well that ain't no chick flick, is it.

Looks like it could be pretty cool!

I love the Coen brothers' work.

R_of_G
October 5th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Let me preface this by saying I am a big fan of the Coen brothers. I think they are spectacular filmmakers and among the only true originals working in Hollywood today. That is why it kinda irks me that this is their next project.

I had hoped filmmakers that are capable of generating the quality of original stories for which the Coen's have become known would avoid getting involved in this Hollywood trend of what I call "cover movies."

That is not to say that this won't be an excellent film because in all likelihood it will be. I just have an issue with the vast amount of remakes and "reboots" and "prequels" and all manner of other uninspired and unoriginal ideas that dominate the current movie market.

That said, I am sure I will see it because it's a Coen brothers film and they seldom disappoint.

Bloozcat
October 5th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Let me preface this by saying I am a big fan of the Coen brothers. I think they are spectacular filmmakers and among the only true originals working in Hollywood today. That is why it kinda irks me that this is their next project.

I had hoped filmmakers that are capable of generating the quality of original stories for which the Coen's have become known would avoid getting involved in this Hollywood trend of what I call "cover movies."

That is not to say that this won't be an excellent film because in all likelihood it will be. I just have an issue with the vast amount of remakes and "reboots" and "prequels" and all manner of other uninspired and unoriginal ideas that dominate the current movie market.

That said, I am sure I will see it because it's a Coen brothers film and they seldom disappoint.

Ehhh... A cover film this time, an original next time. They're not done yet.

Besides, it's about time someone showed Hollywood how to do a re-make right. There have been more regrettable and forgettable re-makes than good ones in recent years.

R_of_G
October 5th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Besides, it's about time someone showed Hollywood how to do a re-make right. There have been more regrettable and forgettable re-makes than good ones in recent years.

I'd prefer if Hollywood didn't make remakes at all. It's not that I believe in the purity of the original films or anything like that. I just think originality should be the standard.

Tig
October 5th, 2010, 03:11 PM

The original True Grit was OK thanks to The Duke, but otherwise, not so great. Most old movies should not have been re-made. This one might just work.

Can anyone remember any re-makes that are better than the original? This will be a short list, I bet!

Katastrophe
October 5th, 2010, 03:17 PM
A western + Coen Brothers = epic awesomeness!

The original is one of my Duke faves, outside of The Shootist.

I will be in the theater when this comes out!

FrankenFretter
October 5th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I can hardly wait for this one! I love the Coen brothers. This looks really good.

Jx2
October 6th, 2010, 09:40 AM
I think the reason for remakes or covers of westerns is because alot of guys arnt sure how to make a successful new western. So its the safe bet. There has been several new westerns in the past 10-15 years or so but the only ones that I feel really stand out is Tombstone, Open Range and Broken Trail. There was some other decent to good ones, but not big enough to draw people to the theatre. The last really good western on the big screen in my eyes was a remake 3:10 to Yuma. I cant compaire to the orginal because I hadnt seen it till after I saw the new one and I really like the new and felt it comprimised my comparison. The key to making a good western though is the actors as much as the story. Playing a cowboy good or bad takes a certain feel and look. I think thats what made 3:10 to Yuma very good Russel Crowe surprised me. I think him, Robert Duvall and/or Sam Elliott should be in every western there will always be a role for one of them if they write it right.

Bloozcat
October 6th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Well, give me Tombstone with Kurt Russel and Val Kilmer over any of the old westerns about Wyatt Earp. Kevin Costner and crew did a decent job with Wyatt Earp but it had the misfortune of being released in the same time frame as Tombstone, which IMHO was superior in both the acting and the drama.

Tombstone is easily one of the best re-makes ever done. Kilmer's Doc Holiday is classic.

Jx2
October 6th, 2010, 10:38 AM
When Kilmer gets a role he can wrap himself into 110% he is one of the best. I think every role he gets 90-100% wrapped into. But his Doc Holliday and Jim Morrison are legendary.

Eric
October 6th, 2010, 11:16 AM
The Dude! In a western? Hmm...

FrankenFretter
October 6th, 2010, 12:38 PM
The Dude! In a western? Hmm...

Yeah, The Dude playing The Duke!

Tig
October 6th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I think the reason for remakes or covers of westerns is because alot of guys arnt sure how to make a successful new western.

Agree... 3:10 to Yuma was one of those rare re-makes that was better than the original. Give the man a cigar!

As for new westerns that worked, there was Unforgiven.
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTM2MjExNTEwMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzIyMDEyMQ@@._ V1._SY314_CR10,0,214,314_.jpg

Bloozcat
October 6th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Now here's one to stretch the memories of Jeff Bridges fans. Anybody remember the 1975 movie Rancho Deluxe with Bridges and Sam Waterston of Law & Order fame. Harry Dean Stanton was in it as well as Slim Pickens who had a role near the end of the movie.

It was an offbeat tale about two drifters who meet in modern day Montana (Bridges and Waterston). Their dream was making it big as cattle rustlers so one day they could purchase a large spread and name it Rancho Deluxe. They eventually got caught by a famous marshall played by Pickens. It's funny to see today if only because Bridges and Waterston were so young in the movie.

Interestingly, Bridges met his wife on the set of this movie.

Robert
December 17th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Coming soon! It's getting good reviews so far -
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/true-grit-2010/

I can't wait to see it! :)

R_of_G
January 9th, 2011, 09:14 AM
So has anyone seen it yet?

I saw it Friday. It was, unsurprisingly, quite good, a much more faithful adaptation of the book than the 1969 film. Though there were some minor deviations from Portis' novel, the ones I noticed were purely situational and didn't anything significant.

The performances were first rate. As much attention as Bridges gets (and deservedly so) the best performance was Hailee Steinfeld's as Mattie. A faithful adaptation of the book demands a tremendous performance from Mattie and I thought Steinfeld captured it perfectly.

I expected Bridges to be excellent because he's Bridges, and he delivered. Matt Damon was also quite good as LeBouef, a significantly better actor for the role than Glen Campbell.

The score, once more by Coen film veteran Carter Burwell, was perfect.

It was pretty much what I expected of a Coen adaptation of True Grit and that is meant as a compliment. They're brilliant filmmakers and storytellers and they've made another excellent film.

piebaldpython
January 9th, 2011, 09:30 AM
We caught the movie a week ago. Great flick and one can't properly describe how Fabulous the female lead in this film is. She should get an award for her acting in this, for the way she delivered a dizzying array of rapid-fire lines.

While this is ostensibly a manly-man sort of film.....there's alot of the film that appeals to the ladies. My wife LOVED the movie.

sunvalleylaw
January 9th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Others that I know who have seen it say it is good. I have not been yet.

bcdon
January 9th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Others that I know who have seen it say it is good. I have not been yet.
I thought it was okay. I like the original better. I'd wait for the DVD.

Robert
January 9th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I haven't seen it yet, but I saw Tron Legacy last week. It wasn't that good, in my opinion. Kinda boring.

R_of_G
January 9th, 2011, 11:36 AM
We caught the movie a week ago. Great flick and one can't properly describe how Fabulous the female lead in this film is. She should get an award for her acting in this, for the way she delivered a dizzying array of rapid-fire lines.

What bothers me is that she's being nominated for a lot of "best supporting actress" awards because that is the apparent standard practice with young children in films. She is on-screen for nearly the entire film (with the exception of the last two minutes which occur 25 years later). If anything, Bridges is in the support role. She is a lead actress and should be awarded accordingly.

Tig
January 9th, 2011, 01:54 PM
So has anyone seen it yet?

I saw it Friday. It was, unsurprisingly, quite good, a much more faithful adaptation of the book than the 1969 film.

The performances were first rate. As much attention as Bridges gets (and deservedly so) the best performance was Hailee Steinfeld's as Mattie.

Matt Damon was also quite good as LeBouef, a significantly better actor for the role than Glen Campbell.

They're brilliant filmmakers and storytellers and they've made another excellent film.

Saw it a few days ago, and I must agree with your summation. An excellent movie with incredible acting in the 3 lead roles. Worth seeing without a doubt.

R_of_G
January 9th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Limited as his role was, Josh Brolin was also quite good as Chaney/Chelmsford.

As usual, the Coens also got great performances out of bit players as well, particularly Dakin Matthews as Stonehill. The Stonehill vs Mattie horsetrading scene is crucial to understanding of Mattie's character (and humor).

sunvalleylaw
January 9th, 2011, 03:23 PM
I intend to go ahead and see it in the theaters. I think big screen westerns look better that way. Also, I like Bridges and Damon. Haven't seen Damon in a while. I will wait for vid on Tron. I have not seen either original BTW. But I have to say I have not been a big John Wayne fan ever. Saw lots of black and white re-runs as a kid on saturday afternoons, but never connected. When I started to watch more westerns, I liked Clint better. Outlaw Jesse Wales was a favorite of mine. Also the more candy westerns like Silverado were fun.

Perfect Stranger
January 9th, 2011, 05:28 PM
I loved the movie. Never saw the original, so no reference.
Not sure about Damon's job...kinda iffy. Over the top at
times but dead on at others.

Jeff Bridges was amazing. Super underrated actor! The girl
was excellent also.

R_of_G
January 9th, 2011, 07:01 PM
I intend to go ahead and see it in the theaters. I think big screen westerns look better that way.

The Coen's movies are usually worth checking out on the big screen from an aesthetic standpoint. They just look so good.

I have not seen either original BTW. But I have to say I have not been a big John Wayne fan ever. Saw lots of black and white re-runs as a kid on saturday afternoons, but never connected.

My dad wouldn't let me get away with not seeing the 1969 film, but I never really connected with John Wayne either. Perhaps it's a generational thing. Regardless of whether or not one appreciates John Wayne, Bridges is an actor in a different class altogether.

Tig
January 9th, 2011, 09:14 PM
My dad wouldn't let me get away with not seeing the 1969 film,

I remember watching the original in the theater, mostly due to the rattlesnake scene that haunted my 6 year old mind. It was still an innocent era in movie making, with the exception of Sam Peckinpah's "The Wild Bunch" (which I didn't see for another 20 years). Many topics here still carefully homogenized.

We are accustomed to/expect much more realism in our modern movies, with the exception of the many jock strap car chase action films. I still love many of the classic films, but enjoy modern, well made films as well. The Coen brothers are artists with a story.

piebaldpython
January 10th, 2011, 08:22 AM
What bothers me is that she's being nominated for a lot of "best supporting actress" awards because that is the apparent standard practice with young children in films. She is on-screen for nearly the entire film (with the exception of the last two minutes which occur 25 years later). If anything, Bridges is in the support role. She is a lead actress and should be awarded accordingly.

+1. She didn't "support" anybody. But, I don't know if she'd win Best Actress over some more established actresses. So, if she'd win Best Supporting Actress, I'd prefer that to her being an also-ran or maybe not nominated for Best Actress.

tunghaichuan
January 10th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Off topic, but:

When I started to watch more westerns, I liked Clint better. Outlaw Jesse Wales was a favorite of mine.

Plus Unforgiven and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly are two of the best westerns ever made, period. But for different reasons.

They are almost enough to forgive Clint for being in Paint Your Wagon. Almost. :)

R_of_G
January 10th, 2011, 09:49 AM
They are almost enough to forgive Clint for being in Paint Your Wagon. Almost.

Paint Your Wagon has one redeeming quality... it was briefly spoofed in The Simpsons, though even that turned out to be disappointing as it was just the set-up to a clip show.

street music
January 10th, 2011, 06:54 PM
I haven't seen it yet but I do remember the original, I think we will wait for the DVD.