PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here have any experience with the AD60 or 120VTX'es?

Duffy
October 6th, 2010, 02:20 AM
I have a line at a music store on a brand new NOS Vox AD60VTX that I can get for 200 US, mint, brand new. Sat in the store for years.

I played it and thought it sounded less good than the new VT50; however, I didn't have enough play time really evaluate such a complex amp.

I like fact that it has two wah effects: Vox wah and auto wah, in its effects set.

I remember reading that the VTX series of 60's and 120's were superior to the chromies of their day.

Anyone have any substantial experience using one of these seemingly excellent amps. The tag price is 700 dollars on this NOS amp. It has a Celestion speaker in it, not sure which one.

I'm fairly sure that 200 US is a super great price even considering that the amp probably is generally obsolete and next to impossible to get fixed if anything other than minor things go wrong; but at 200 it should be worth it if it is a great amp.

Knowing very little about that series of amps I'm wondering if anyone can shed any significant light on it that will help me in making my final decision as to if I should get it. I really like my little Vox DA5 and this would be a major "big brother".

Otherwise I'm just going to get a set of EMG T noiseless active pickups for one of my Fender tele's. This might be more practical since I will then be able to play one of my tele's thru the ultra high gain circuits of some of my amps without more hiss than a leaf blower.

Katastrophe
October 6th, 2010, 07:04 AM
I've played on the 120... and they are excellent amphs. I had some serious GAS for one back in the day... Sadly, my wallet and my wants did not agree with each other, or there would be one in my house right now.

Robert
October 6th, 2010, 07:57 AM
jpfeifer has the 120 I think?

Duffy
October 7th, 2010, 02:10 PM
That'd be nice to know if he has one what he thinks and so on.

Duffy
October 8th, 2010, 10:20 PM
The Epi Faded cherry 2010 SG picked me as its owner today while I was using it to check over the Vox amp I had intended to bring home.

The good bad boy SG put the Vox in my personal history.

When the flow got heavy, I rolled with it.

This is a really nice SG, nicer than my Gibson Faded SG that was stolen from me.

The new SG compliments my guitar collection and I didn't need a hybrid amp anyway, I have my Vox DA5, although not a hybrid it is a nice modeler and I have a Fender Super Champ XD modeling amp. So I'm good.

I really like this new SG.