PDA

View Full Version : How to get musicians to focus? (church band content)

Eric
October 7th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Hello good people.

So, sad to say, I think I'm part of the drama at the church where I play these days. I try to be cooperative and what not, but I think I've become a little itchy with just banging out chords and not playing up to our ability as a group. Sometimes that can come out as me being a little too intense, which is easily taken as being critical, or it's me being discontent and pushing the leader of our church group.

I know church can be full of politics and drama, and I generally operate on the outskirts to avoid being hurt and getting bitter. However, I really feel like if we would work a little harder, we could do so much more.

I need some advice. Should I just chill out and accept whatever fate of malaise we are destined to achieve as a church praise band? Should I find new ways to add to the music without making waves? Should I try to find new ways to motivate people? If so, how?

I know the easy answer is "all of the above", but that wouldn't be too helpful. My basic issue is that if I try to check out a bit and disengage from caring about it, I might become kind of lifeless musically, which would make the music more sterile than it is. It's hard to just be a pleasant robot and still make good music.

Some background:

I consider myself pretty competent at the guitar. No, I can't run all over the fretboard, but I have solid rhythm and try to do things that sound good.
Our drummer is fantastic. Not Neal Peart fantastic, but always locked in and steady, incredibly sensitive to the song and adding what is needed, and has a sense of command that I've never seen in a drummer before.
The bass player has been playing for maybe 1-1.5 years, but is already better than the guy who used to play. He doesn't do anything fancy, but has excellent rhythm and doesn't step on anyone.
The drummer and bass player are, not coincidentally, my best friends there.

What bothers me is that other members just wander in, play and sing however much they want, and then leave as soon as possible (i.e. once they're "dismissed"). This leads to people being late, not trying to learn anything new, and whining if practice goes even a little long.

How do you get people motivated? I consider music to be a gift, not a chore. I love practice time. I want to get things right and go over songs tons of times to see what we can add to make it our own. It feels like pulling teeth with the keyboard player, leader, backing singers, occasional acoustic guitarist, and (especially) with the backup bassist and drummer.

Also, we never really find out the songs until maybe a day before or when we arrive for practice on Thursday night, so there's precious little time to really work out any extra parts for the songs. Sometimes there will be an instrumental gap in the song, but unless I have some time to work out a solo, there's not much I can do. If we took the time to then work through the song, that would be OK, but it's usually slam through it and go on to the next one so that everyone can leave.

I think I'm just asking for perspective here. I know the situation and I know what frustrates me, but it might not make sense objectively. We do a pretty decent job, have incredible participation from the congregation, and are allowed to do pretty much whatever we want; I use distortion regularly, can put in leads and solos, and have used wah a good bit in the past. For those unfamiliar with church music practices, this is pretty much unheard of in my experience. Do the things that frustrate me make sense to all of you, or am I blowing it out of proportion? Am I just asking too much? Any advice on what to do about it?

ibanezjunkie
October 7th, 2010, 03:43 PM
music shouldnt be a chore, if someone finds practise to be a chore, they're not really a musician imo.

sounds like you could do alot if you had more dedicated people to make music with, doing things a little differently can be a boost to a community, and a little soul in the solo never hurt anyone.

maybe you should badger the band leader to find more dedicated musicians for the cause, or get the current ones more interested.

a dysfunctional music group is a... well, not fun.

marnold
October 7th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Welcome to the world of dealing with volunteers. I deal with these basic issues in every last aspect of my work, everyday. You need to understand that not everybody is going to have the same zeal for music (or anything else, for that matter) that you do. Otherwise, you will burn yourself up with frustration. If you are expecting that this loose group of volunteers will suddenly throw a switch and be as fired up as you are, you are being unrealistic.

Talk with whoever is in charge and just talk about being a little more organized to start with. It is very hard to do anything (much less in a worship service) when people don't know what will happen until the last minute. You will keep having constant turnover. Be patient and encouraging. That will get you a lot farther with people.

I find myself doing one of two things a lot: 1) slowing people down a bit who are really excited about something but that enthusiasm is not necessarily shared, and 2) trying to build up, motivate, etc., those who are on the sidelines. The first group is really well intentioned but will burn themselves out in a heartbeat. I'm not trying to stop them necessarily, just make sure they really know what they're throwing themselves into. The second group is more predictable, but probably not as involved as they could/should be.

Don't worry. You'll only find yourself in situations like this for the rest of your life :)

Katastrophe
October 7th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Not much to add, except that motivating people that don't want motivation is difficult at best.

Is there anything that you, the drummer and bass player can do outside of church? It would certainly give y'all a chance to flex your musical muscles without confrontation with the other members. If THAT becomes an issue, you could always just tell the truth: y'all enjoy making music together, and this is an opportunity to be creative without offending anyone at the church.

I don't know of too many churches that allow the kind of freedom you describe... It sounds like a great gig, with a real way to add something meaningful to the service.

I would just advise to enjoy doing what you do, take the other personalities in stride, and get another outlet to keep your creative juices flowing.

Eric
October 7th, 2010, 07:30 PM
I don't know of too many churches that allow the kind of freedom you describe... It sounds like a great gig, with a real way to add something meaningful to the service.

I would just advise to enjoy doing what you do, take the other personalities in stride, and get another outlet to keep your creative juices flowing.
I think this is very solid advice; I do appreciate it.

Brian Krashpad
October 11th, 2010, 06:58 AM
This is kind of hard stuff, and there's no silver bullet. It's hard but you do kind of have to disengage at least a little bit if you are in the role of player rather than leader/director.

There are always going to be those that don't take things as serious as you or as serious as they should, but that's a given in an all-volunteer nonpaid church band. One thing you can do is to try to tailor the material (or have those who choose it do so) to who you've got to work with in a given week. So if you've got backup drummer in, avoid that polyrhythmic traditional African hymn. If there are going to be the "I need to get out of practice as soon as possible" types, then you sorta need to accomodate them by going ahead and doing their stuff first and letting them go, having them stick around will just poison the atmosphere for those with better attitudes and/or more time available.

I found picking up a second instrument helped me in that if there wasn't really a lot happening guitar-wise on a given song, I could try chording along on mandolin instead. We did a trad Irish spiritual yesterday called "Be Thou My Vision" which started out with just me (on mando) and our ukelele player (yes we have a ukelele-ist!) and ended the same. Even though it was just chording along it went really well, a couple different people afterward told me that the mandolin sounded good.

Eric
October 11th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the input, guys. I guess I'll just do what I can and experiment as much as the situation allows. So far, after working out more detailed parts to some of the more common songs we do, we have subsequently not played those songs for the next 3 months. That's a big part of the frustration.

I think that at least maintaining strong relationships with the friends I do have on the worship team helps me avoid feeling like I'm wasting time.

deeaa
October 11th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I dunno, being a complete atheist&averse to any organized religion, I have no real idea of how it is in a church band really...but...why not assemble a group of your own with the bassist and the drummer? Just make or get someone to sing and start making your own music...

Eric
October 11th, 2010, 05:00 PM
I dunno, being a complete atheist&averse to any organized religion, I have no real idea of how it is in a church band really...but...why not assemble a group of your own with the bassist and the drummer? Just make or get someone to sing and start making your own music...
It's mostly due to lack of time and practice space, but also because 1) I'm pretty sure the bassist wouldn't want to, and 2) we're going to be there for the church part anyway, and I don't just want to throw that away.

It matters, at least to me. This church (and much of church in general) isn't exactly my cup of tea, but if I don't think it's of any consequence, I wouldn't be doing it and definitely wouldn't care how good we were.

Eric
October 12th, 2010, 12:08 PM
I found picking up a second instrument helped me in that if there wasn't really a lot happening guitar-wise on a given song, I could try chording along on mandolin instead. We did a trad Irish spiritual yesterday called "Be Thou My Vision" which started out with just me (on mando) and our ukelele player (yes we have a ukelele-ist!) and ended the same. Even though it was just chording along it went really well, a couple different people afterward told me that the mandolin sounded good.
BTW, I love Be Thou My Vision. We sang it at our wedding, which happened to be in a diner. With other people having breakfast at the time:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Y7wRWf2Q3MI/TLSj5fvSnhI/AAAAAAAAAM4/OCsZALcudLk/Be%20Thou%20My%20Vision.jpg

deeaa
October 12th, 2010, 01:19 PM
What a great photo...can't explain but just sort of captures a moment in time exceptionally well.

Eric
October 12th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Thanks. It's one of my favorite group shots from the wedding.