PDA

View Full Version : Can you say C5/G?

kiteman
October 7th, 2010, 05:44 PM
I have this chord - 335xxx - otherwise it'd be Gsus4 though the next chord is 355xxx which is G5.

My progression is 335xxx - 355xxx - x466xx - x355xx played 4x but the last chord is x244xx on the 4th time. Then the riffs in G - C - D.

rinse - repeat. :)

So there's such chord as C5/G?

woodchuk
October 7th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Yes, it's just an inverted powerchord, with the fifth in the bass. You can call it exactly as you named it, C5/G. Black Sabbath did this a lot, as it makes the powerchord sound heavier and more ominous.

kiteman
October 7th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Ah, thanks! :dance

Now I can write down the chords as I see it. I made this song and I wasn't sure how to name the chords.

hubberjub
October 8th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Yep. Like Woodchuk said. It's just a second inversion.

kiteman
October 11th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Um, another question, 33xxxx is still C5/G? This is at the beginning of the solo. I'm pretty sure it is even thought I don't have the octave of the 5th included.

woodchuk
October 12th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Um, another question, 33xxxx is still C5/G? This is at the beginning of the solo. I'm pretty sure it is even thought I don't have the octave of the 5th included.

Sounds good to me - I don't know of any reason why any note must be doubled to call it a powerchord. Strictly speaking, I might be more inclined to call that a dyad (two note chord), but all powerchords are that way anyway - they just normally have some form of doubling taking place. Since this is ONLY two notes played on adjacent strings, dyad might be a little more accurate, but I don't see why you couldn't name it the same.

kiteman
October 12th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Thanks, do they call it doublestops if you play two strings together? Sorry, I'm not too keen on theory.

woodchuk
October 12th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Thanks, do they call it doublestops if you play two strings together? Sorry, I'm not too keen on theory.

Yeah, that's what a doublestop is, but it wouldn't necessarily be a dyad. An octave fingering is certainly a doublestop, but as only one note is sounding, it's not a chord, so it can't be a dyad. And I can understand about not being too keen on theory - it's definitely not for everyone. I love it myself, but I'm just weird! :D I can talk about chords, scales, and modes until I'm blue in the face. Feel free to message me privately if you'd like about any theory questions you may have.

kiteman
October 12th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Yeah, that's what a doublestop is, but it wouldn't necessarily be a dyad. An octave fingering is certainly a doublestop, but as only one note is sounding, it's not a chord, so it can't be a dyad. And I can understand about not being too keen on theory - it's definitely not for everyone. I love it myself, but I'm just weird! :D I can talk about chords, scales, and modes until I'm blue in the face. Feel free to message me privately if you'd like about any theory questions you may have.

Thanks again, I did look up theory and worked with it but I remember just the shapes like triads and pentatonics and fill 'em in. My memory's not very good.