PDA

View Full Version : A Dream Super Group/s

Jx2
October 7th, 2010, 10:54 PM
I just answered in the who would you like to play with thread. That got me to think. If you guys could dream up a super group you'd like to see for whatever reason. Name the members....heck if you want name the band..:rockya Limit 2 bands per member cos we all listen to diffrent styles and I dont see Buddy Holly and Dimebag on the same stage and I love both.
This also might of been done before, but hey lets try it again. Never know a new guy might of popped up on the scene since the last time.

Group 1: Metal
Singer-Jon Bush
Lead-Dimebag
Rhtm-Scott Ian
Bass-Robert Trujillo
Drums-Vinnie Paul(Cant have 1 abbot and not the other)

Group 2: Hard Rock
Singer-Myles Kennedy
Lead-Slash
Rhym-Gilby Clark
Bass-Robert DeLeo
Drums-Dave Grohl(back up vocals)

R_of_G
October 8th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Thanks to John Zorn, I don't have to dream, I can just listen. He already assembled one of the most talented and diverse bands of all time in Naked City. The whole concept was based on them being able to play seamlessly in and out of dozens of styles of music. My only dream is that he'd put them back together for a few shows and bring them to Florida so I can see them live.

Naked City was:

John Zorn - saxophone
Bill Frisell - guitar
Fred Frith - bass
Joey Baron - drums
Wayne Horvitz - organ

But, in the interest of playing along with the concept of this thread, I will attempt to compose my own "super group" and will try to avoid picking them entirely from Zorn's cadre of collaborators. There's no one style this band would play because if they're mysuper group, they should be able to play just about anything.

Marc Ribot - guitar
Dan Auerbach - guitar/vocals
Roman Nowka - bass
Levon Helm - drums/vocals
Wayne Horvitz - organ/piano
Donald Byrd - trumpet
Josh Roseman - trombone
Lucien Dubuis - saxophone/contrabass clarinet

Eric
October 8th, 2010, 06:10 AM
You know, this is an interesting idea. I feel like the individual people I admire on a given instrument might actually suck together, because there's not really enough space in a song. I mean, the hard rock group you have going there might actually manage to sound decent, but too often, these super-group lists end up looking like this:

Bruce Dickenson
Joe Satriani
Yngwie Malmsteen
Les Claypool
Neil Peart

I mean, can you imagine such a monstrosity? Ugh.

Just food for thought.

R_of_G
October 8th, 2010, 07:06 AM
You know, this is an interesting idea. I feel like the individual people I admire on a given instrument might actually suck together, because there's not really enough space in a song. I mean, the hard rock group you have going there might actually manage to sound decent, but too often, these super-group lists end up looking like this:

Bruce Dickenson
Joe Satriani
Yngwie Malmsteen
Les Claypool
Neil Peart

Just food for thought.

I often find the same thing with most of these concoctions, a list of people's favorite musicians on a given instrument with little thought as to how such a band would interact.

I would say this about the hypothetical list you put forward, I can tell you right now all the licks and references and stuff Claypool would play. No disrespect to the man, he's an awesome bass player and I love much of his work, but I saw him three times in one year in three different bands and when not playing the structured parts of songs, his improvisational sections were almost entirely the same. Not a problem if you're seeing him once, but by the third time it was predictable and kind of annoying.

sunvalleylaw
October 8th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Without thinking too much, and just going with the concept, here is my punk band

Tres Cool - Drums
Rivers Cuomo - lead guitar
Joe Strummer - Rhythm
Mike Dirnt - Bass
Mike Hererra (MxPx) - vocals/additional rhythm
Brian Krashpad - Addtional rhythm/guitar face. [Oh, and additional bass lines, or mandolin as well, and audience interaction/stage theatrics ;-)]

On very occasional ska tracks, - Travis Werts, trumpet, Tyler Jones, Trombone, Adam Polakoff, Sax (Reel Big Fish Horns), Terry Hall would provide guest vocals on those tracks.

Jx2
October 8th, 2010, 08:12 AM

Bruce Dickenson
Joe Satriani
Yngwie Malmsteen
Les Claypool
Neil Peart

Just food for thought.

I can see where your coming from but at times it works. I mean going into it when you heard Satch was teaming up with Hagar and Anthony did you think it would work? And then toss Chad Smith on drums. Granted Hagar and Anthony had dealt with a equaly if not better(that debate is for another day)guitarist in Eddie. Eddie had orginaly formed Van Halen though so was use to playing in a traditional band format. Where Satch hadnt. Yes he played in Deep Purple for a short time but thats it. For you metal head what about Down? Phillipe Anselmo(Pantera), Pepper Keenan(CoC), Kirk Windstien(Crowbar), Jimmy Bower(EyeHateGod). And sometimes while we might think someone wouldnt fit because of his style or whatever they prove us wrong. PRIME EXAMPLE, Hank III played with SuperJoint Ritial with Anselmo. Reportly Velvet Revolver has offered the frontman job to Shooter Jennings 3 times already. Listening to Shooter I cant help but to question that decision in my head. But maybe there's a side to Shooter that no one knows about except those who know him and hence why VR wants him so bad.