PDA

View Full Version : Should I go ahead and void my warranty?

FrankenFretter
October 8th, 2010, 03:16 PM
I'm thinking about putting a pickguard on my Epi Tribute LP. Since it didn't come with one, I'm certain this will void my limited lifetime warranty from Epi. I just think the plaintops look better with a pickguard.

So, what do you think, Fretters? Go ahead and do it, or just live with the plain jane looks?

Here's the options:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_NPlyZiLy0Pw/S4nNvlzCzxI/AAAAAAAAAZQ/vodROLdMGX4/s400/100_1951.JPGThe guitar as it came to me, bare.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_NPlyZiLy0Pw/S6P_JflNDII/AAAAAAAAAdM/OIqF22-r0KQ/s400/IMG_1762.JPG And next to the Agile, with pickguard wedged between the pickup rings.

What say you all?

bcdon
October 8th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Go for it. Most warranties end up covering nothing anyway, that's why they throw the 'limited' part on. Even if you were to discover a coverable manufacturing defect, good luck trying to get them to pay out. It's your guitar now, put the pick guard on and enjoy. :dude

FrankenFretter
October 8th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Go for it. Most warranties end up covering nothing anyway, that's why they throw the 'limited' part on. Even if you were to discover a coverable manufacturing defect, good luck trying to get them to pay out. It's your guitar now, put the pick guard on and enjoy. :dude

Yeah, I remember you saying something along those lines a while back when we were talking about warranties, Don. You're probably right. They usually find some way of weaseling out of fixing things for you.

Thanks!

Heywood Jablomie
October 8th, 2010, 03:48 PM
First off, Gibson does honor their warranty. I realized there was a defect with my factory second Dot Studio involving neck and/or bridge set, where the strings weren't centered on the fingerboard. I sent it to Gibson Nashville, and they sent me a brand-new replacement, also a second. In another story I read on the Epi corporate forum, a member sent his Epi back (I don't remember what for). The guitar had aftermarket pickups in it. Not only did they replace the guitar, but they removed the pickups and sent them back, neatly packaged.

Sean, I don't have a recommendation as to the warranty, but I can recommend a way to have one less hole in your LP, should you decide to install the guard: Instead of a screw at the top, use 2-sided mounting tape. That's how I did my Dot Studio when I added a guard. It's been holding perfectly for over 2 years. And if I ever decide to remove it, the tape peels off nicely and there won't be a hole in the top of my guitar.

marnold
October 8th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I don't think a hunk of plastic ever adds to a guitar's looks. Leave it off.

Of course, if you really have your heart set on it, follow Heywood's instructions. You get the best of both worlds that way.

FrankenFretter
October 8th, 2010, 04:27 PM
First off, Gibson does honor their warranty. I realized there was a defect with my factory second Dot Studio involving neck and/or bridge set, where the strings weren't centered on the fingerboard. I sent it to Gibson Nashville, and they sent me a brand-new replacement, also a second. In another story I read on the Epi corporate forum, a member sent his Epi back (I don't remember what for). The guitar had aftermarket pickups in it. Not only did they replace the guitar, but they removed the pickups and sent them back, neatly packaged.

Sean, I don't have a recommendation as the warranty, but I can recommend a way to have one less hole in your LP, should you decide to install the guard: Instead of a screw at the top, use 2-sided mounting tape. That's how I did my Dot Studio when I added a guard. It's been holding perfectly for over 2 years. And if I ever decide to remove it, the tape peels off nicely and there won't be a hole in the top of my guitar.

Hmmm...food for thought. Not a bad idea at all.

Thanks Heywood and Matt for your input.

Commodore 64
October 9th, 2010, 05:21 AM
I think I might like it better with the PG. Someone used double-sided tape on a homemade PG that he made for the PRS I had for a little bit. Held great and came off pretty easily when I felt like removing it.

ZMAN
October 9th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I had an issue with my Gibson Les Paul Gold top finish checking. Gibson would absolutley not do anything about finish issues. Take a look at their warranty.
Putting two tiny screw holes in the guitar will not alter any warranty that you might have on the rest of the guitar. I would probably go with a Black guard and trim rings etc. They look really nice on a Cherry sunblurst. Gotta love those plain tops. Creme looks stock and would be the cheapest route.

FrankenFretter
October 9th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I had an issue with my Gibson Les Paul Gold top finish checking. Gibson would absolutley not do anything about finish issues. Take a look at their warranty.
Putting two tiny screw holes in the guitar will not alter any warranty that you might have on the rest of the guitar. I would probably go with a Black guard and trim rings etc. They look really nice on a Cherry sunblurst. Gotta love those plain tops. Creme looks stock and would be the cheapest route.

I remember that thread, Z. I already have the blackout treatment on my Agile cherryburst LP. For the Tribute, I want to stay with a more traditional look. I like the plain top too, but I think it looks better with the pickguard. I recently decided to remove the black pickguard on my Agile, because the flame top looks so nice it seems like a shame to hide it.

ZMAN
October 9th, 2010, 03:24 PM
I remember that thread, Z. I already have the blackout treatment on my Agile cherryburst LP. For the Tribute, I want to stay with a more traditional look. I like the plain top too, but I think it looks better with the pickguard. I recently decided to remove the black pickguard on my Agile, because the flame top looks so nice it seems like a shame to hide it.
I have had Epi LPs with both the Creme and the Black. I liked the black because it was a Custom flame top. The Creme looks nice as well. I had a very nice Fireburst Studio that came without PG. I was a little upset with that, but realized I am not a strummer so no need for one. Their official comment was that any of the finishes where the grain shows through, they either have no gaurd or they put an optional one in the case.
I personally would not put one on your guitar. I looks Maaavellous.

FrankenFretter
October 9th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Here's a picture of my Agile AL3K with the blackout treatment. I really like the black on Cherry Flame as well, Z.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_NPlyZiLy0Pw/S82s5yNMxeI/AAAAAAAAAf4/zHfW8NdTdww/s800/100_2029.JPG

bcdon
October 9th, 2010, 04:02 PM
I see that you even saved some money but skipping the strings. ;-)

Here's a picture of my Agile AL3K with the blackout treatment. I really like the black on Cherry Flame as well, Z.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_NPlyZiLy0Pw/S82s5yNMxeI/AAAAAAAAAf4/zHfW8NdTdww/s800/100_2029.JPG

FrankenFretter
October 9th, 2010, 04:12 PM
I see that you even saved some money by skipping the strings. ;-)

They just got in the way. I play much faster now. :rockya

Eric
October 9th, 2010, 07:10 PM
I'd leave it off. I took the pickguard off of my Agile and I like it better that way. For now.

ZMAN
October 9th, 2010, 08:24 PM
That triple binding sure looks good on those Agiles. What the heck change some plastic and you have a "new" guitar. BTW guys my tech turned me on to a pretty good trick. You don't need to lose the strings when you change out rings etc. You can loosen all the strings and unhook the stop tail piece with the strings attached. A piece of tape to hold everything in place then just slip the tail piece back on and tighten things up. Saves a lot of strings.

FrankenFretter
October 9th, 2010, 08:26 PM
BTW guys my tech turned me on to a pretty good trick. You don't need to lose the strings when you change out rings etc. You can loosen all the strings and unhook the stop tail piece with the strings attached. A piece of tape to hold everything in place then just slip the tail piece back on and tighten things up. Saves a lot of strings.

Yeah, I would've done that if I hadn't wanted to put 10s on there. The 9s that came on it just felt too light.

Duffy
October 9th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Personally I like my Tribute without the pickguard, stock.

I will leave mine stock, without a pickguard.

If I put a pickguard on it I would probably go for the black treatment.

Another factor: when you put the pickguard on it, it technically won't be a Tribute anymore, it will be something else - but who cares. It's yours. Do with it whatever you want.

I really like my Tribute. I have a new Agile AL 3100 with top and bottom body binding and it is a totally awesome guitar, very classy and expensive looking with beautiful tone, stock. My Tribute is at least the equal of this guitar.

I think the Tribute has to be one of the best Epiphones ever made. It far surpasses any of my other Epi's.

I just bought a new Epi SG Faded in cherry. Awesome guitar at a modest price. I like it better than my Gibson SG Faded that was stolen.

I'm going to play myself to sleep tonight with the new SG thru my Tweaker. I have caught myself playing in my sleep lately. No kidding. I doze off and wake up playing. Ha ha. That's funny. My playing is becoming intuitive.

I'd say, leave the guard off and enjoy the natural wood grain.

Are you grooving on that Tribute? I'm really liking mine, totally bonded. I hope you are not having an identity conflict with that beautiful guitar. It is a really great guitar.

FrankenFretter
October 9th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Personally I like my Tribute without the pickguard, stock.

I will leave mine stock, without a pickguard.

If I put a pickguard on it I would probably go for the black treatment.

Another factor: when you put the pickguard on it, it technically won't be a Tribute anymore, it will be something else - but who cares. It's yours. Do with it whatever you want.

I really like my Tribute. I have a new Agile AL 3100 with top and bottom body binding and it is a totally awesome guitar, very classy and expensive looking with beautiful tone, stock. My Tribute is at least the equal of this guitar.

I think the Tribute has to be one of the best Epiphones ever made. It far surpasses any of my other Epi's.

I just bought a new Epi SG Faded in cherry. Awesome guitar at a modest price. I like it better than my Gibson SG Faded that was stolen.

I'm going to play myself to sleep tonight with the new SG thru my Tweaker. I have caught myself playing in my sleep lately. No kidding. I doze off and wake up playing. Ha ha. That's funny. My playing is becoming intuitive.

I'd say, leave the guard off and enjoy the natural wood grain.

Are you grooving on that Tribute? I'm really liking mine, totally bonded. I hope you are not having an identity conflict with that beautiful guitar. It is a really great guitar.

Yeah Duffy, I'm still loving the Tribute. Best guitar I've ever owned, but I do have to say that my AL3K is a pretty darn close runner-up. It does make me kind of mad that I paid so much for the Tribute and there are some craftsmanship issues; some of the block inlays are not parallel with the frets, the 1st string will not intonate correctly, and there are little cosmetic flaws in the finish that are slightly irritating. My Agile was almost $100 less because of a very tiny pockmark in the clearcoat near the neck tone control. That is the ONLY flaw I can find on the Agile.

The grain doesn't look bad, but...I tend to like the look of an LP with a pickguard for the most part. The flame top on the Agile looks so good, I took the guard off, but I may put it back on later. Hard to say.

So far, the double-sided foam tape that Heywood suggested is winning, but I'm still thinking about it.

deeaa
October 9th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I'm with Marnold, Eric & Duffy - looks way better without the useless piece of plastic. When I bought my standard, the first thing to do was toss that pickguard to the dumpster.

Duffy
October 9th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Fret, I must agree - my Agile AL 3100 top/bottom bound is really an awesome guitar. I just look at it when standing next to some of my other guitars and the build quality excellence is SO evident just looking at the two. The Agile has class, not to mention sound. It is equal to my Tribute or very close. Based on looks alone I'd say it looks better than the Tribute because of the extensive binding, thick body, and flamming, plus that awesome neck.

Does your Agile have that awesome big chunky neck? I can really appreciate that neck, and I tend to like thin necks like on my new SG.

I accept that the Epiphone cost a lot more. It is also a special tribute edition that will probably forever be a collector's item and will probably not be in production for an extended period of time. It is expensive but probably worth the cost because of the way it is made, the parts, and so on.

I expect to get a black Agile like the one I have, or another color if black is not available. I got mine on sale in cherry burst flame for 299, class A. I would love to get another one on a sale like this.

Another thing I like about the Agile is that it is "very" heavy. I like that in a Les Paul. My new SG is very light, way lighter than my Epi copy of a '66 Gibson Standard SG, with the full sort of strat type pickguard. I like the tear drop small pickguard below the pickups, with regular HB pickup rings on my SG Faded. My Gibson Faded SG also had the big pickguard. Another reason why I like this Epi Faded better than I did the Gibson Faded.

My heavy Epi SG Standard '66 will not, however, be going anywhere. It sounds beautiful stock and currently has flat wounds on it that will be immediately coming off. I have another set of tens, regular D'darrios round wounds right here ready to go on, maybe tomorrow, then compare the tone of both of these cherry SGs. I don't care for the sound of the flat wounds on the other SG. I have some flat wounds on an Epi LP Standard Plus Top that will also be coming off in the immediate future. I have a set of round wound nines.

I can't believe I waited so many years to get a high quality Agile. I would recommend getting at least a 3000 though, the AL 2000 didn't sound anywhere near as good as this 3100.

Next I'm going to put some noiseless pickups on one of my Fender telecasters and see how it sounds thru the Tweaker. I can't stand all the noise with lots of gain. One of those Fender blacktop telecasters would be awesome I am sure.

FrankenFretter
October 15th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Okay, here it is with double-sided tape. Does it look bad? I'm not sure I can hang with it not having the correct hardware...

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_NPlyZiLy0Pw/TLkX6eo1L-I/AAAAAAAAAmk/YzupoByohO0/s400/100_2109.JPGhttp://lh5.ggpht.com/_NPlyZiLy0Pw/TLkX6aiG66I/AAAAAAAAAmo/R3w9U1i9tSM/s400/100_2111.JPG

marnold
October 15th, 2010, 10:09 PM
I stand by my original comment.

FrankenFretter
October 15th, 2010, 10:30 PM
I stand by my original comment.

I totally get the non-pickguard thing. For most other guitars, I might agree, but in my mind the Les Paul has always had a pickguard. That sort of completes the picture for me. There are exceptions; some Goldies look better without them, and some of the more beautiful flame and quilt tops seem sinful to cover up, but I think that the plain tops look better with the guard on there. Just mho, for what it's worth.

All that said, I still don't know if I want to keep a guard on there. I just don't know...

Heywood Jablomie
October 15th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Sean, the tape is for the top only; you'll still need the side bracket.

Duffy
October 15th, 2010, 11:51 PM
I wouldn't use the tape, because the compounds in the tape are going to react over time with the finish compounds and you will have degradation of the finish or a change in color.

As a temporary prototype I would go with it, but when I decided I would install it properly.

I still think that it looks better like a Tribute. But this is just my opinion. Mine is cherry burst like yours and will stay stock because I like it that way. If I wanted to change it I definitely would - it's my guitar. I'll do what I want with it.

I would recommend not leaving the tape on long though, because it will eventually ruin the finish and we don't know how long that might take.

I recently took the pickguard off of my Seagull S6 accoustic, about two years old and the natural aging of the body left a noticeably lighter place where the pickguard was. The pickguard is staying off though and I don't know if natural aging will blend it in, but I suppose so. I don't usually keep it in a case. I like to let my accoustics age naturally. Plus, out of sight - out of mind. Out of sight, things can be happening that you don't want happening but are unaware of.

Heywood Jablomie
October 16th, 2010, 09:16 AM
I wouldn't use the tape, because the compounds in the tape are going to react over time with the finish compounds and you will have degradation of the finish or a change in color.

As a temporary prototype I would go with it, but when I decided I would install it properly.

I still think that it looks better like a Tribute. But this is just my opinion. Mine is cherry burst like yours and will stay stock because I like it that way. If I wanted to change it I definitely would - it's my guitar. I'll do what I want with it.

I would recommend not leaving the tape on long though, because it will eventually ruin the finish and we don't know how long that might take.

I recently took the pickguard off of my Seagull S6 accoustic, about two years old and the natural aging of the body left a noticeably lighter place where the pickguard was. The pickguard is staying off though and I don't know if natural aging will blend it in, but I suppose so. I don't usually keep it in a case. I like to let my accoustics age naturally. Plus, out of sight - out of mind. Out of sight, things can be happening that you don't want happening but are unaware of.
I beg to differ about the tape doing damage. I'm talking specifically about the 3M products with amazing removable adhesives. I've had my guard off a couple times, and had to replace the tape each time - no damage, even on the "worn" finish. And around the house, I've used it for mounting framed pictures and other stuff, have removed the tape after years - no damage. Maybe I'd be cautious about a nitro finish, but not about poly. I prefer not to make holes if I don't need to, because holes are permanent the moment you drill them.

sunvalleylaw
October 16th, 2010, 01:01 PM
_kpLF4efBXo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kpLF4efBXo&feature=related

Duffy
October 16th, 2010, 01:04 PM
You very well may be correct Heywood, but I personally would not leave the tape on for long. I would probably just make up my mind one way after another after using the tape prototype, and then drill the holes and permanently mount the pickguard.

I don't plan on selling any of my nice guitars, and my Tribute is probably the nicest one I own. It's mine and I wouldn't hesitate to drill a couple mounting holes in it if I wanted to. I didn't buy the guitar for the next guy that owns it to appreciate. I'm going to appreciate it to the fullest extent possible, for me.

Plus you can't predict, even in the event that you do sell it, what the buyer is going to think. Many buyers would think a pickguard would be a big plus. You just can't predict what a possible buyer might think.

I removed the pickguard from a LP and don't even mind the holes. I should fill them though, or at least soak them with teak or linseed oil.

You are probably correct in assuming that those specialized tapes are designed to do no or little damage to the base surface, but I doubt if they tested them on guitar surfaces, but probably poly in general.

Do anything that you want, like I said, it's your guitar Fret, but I think tape is a flimsy and less than ideal method of mounting a pickguard on a LP. After all, that is a really nice Tribute. A very special Les Paul, as those of us that own them know.

Right now I'm A/B'ing my Epi SG's, the '66 SG copy and my new Faded. They have tens on them and sound very much the same thru the same amp and settings. I haven't had time to note any precise differences in build quality or tone, both are top notch guitars, in their own right - at least equal to my old Gibson Faded SG. I might get the ivory Deluxe three HB version, but I really want another Agile 3xxx series with top and bottom binding. I seem happy to leave the pickguard on my cherry burst Agile LP.

NWBasser
October 20th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Sean, I think you need a guitar with a pickguard. However, you don't want to void your warranty and potentially deface that Tribute.

I have a solution; since my Epi Standard has a pickguard on it, you should just trade your Tribute for my Standard!:hungry :thumbsup

I think it's a win-win!:happy

FrankenFretter
October 20th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Sean, I think you need a guitar with a pickguard. However, you don't want to void your warranty and potentially deface that Tribute.

I have a solution; since my Epi Standard has a pickguard on it, you should just trade your Tribute for my Standard!:hungry :thumbsup

I think it's a win-win!:happy

Thanks, but you can keep your fingerprint magnet. At least the part under the pickguard is going to stay fingerprint free!

Joking aside, your LP does sound very nice. You need to get yourself an Agile and A/B them. :dude

NWBasser
October 20th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Thanks, but you can keep your fingerprint magnet. At least the part under the pickguard is going to stay fingerprint free!

Joking aside, your LP does sound very nice. You need to get yourself an Agile and A/B them. :dude

No, there won't be any fingerprints under the PG on mine, but I was thinking of using a longer lower brace to put it a bit farther away from the body. That way, I could put stuff behind it like maybe a bit of chicken salad sandwich. You know, in case I get hungry.

We pretty much did an A/B between my Standard and your Agile. If I remember, they sounded pretty darn close to each other. The most significant difference was your Tribute.

Now that I have my LP set up better, I may just stick with it. The rootbeer Agile looks spectacular, but I think my Epi will do the job fine. I guess the other option would be to get the Agile, do a comparison and keep the better guitar. I'm primarily a bass player and wouldn't have any need for two LPs around the house.