PDA

View Full Version : Les Paul Necks

GREENMACHINE
October 8th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Hey guys,
I'v always liked a white Les Paul but at the moment I can't afford one and I can't fine a nice white one where I live that I like, so I though I would get a kit set one (the Saga LC-10) and make it myself. I had this idea that for the design it would be white body with either black or a gun metal or charcoal dark grey coloured binding (havent decided which colour yet) and my girlfriend writes poems and lyrics so I would like to put some of her words across the back part of the guitar in calligraphy type font in the same colour as I decide to do the binding. The neck would be ebony with the pearl inlays like the Gibson Les Pauls have and the hardware would be chrome and I'd put Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge and a Seymour Duncan '59 model SH-1 and TB59 for the neck.... anyways back on track again. I really like the neck on my Gibson Lucille because of its weight and how it feels, are Les Pauls bolt on necks or through body? Because I'd like to order a Les Paul neck to put on this Saga LC-10.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Cav

Katastrophe
October 8th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Hey, Cav! Good to see ya here.

A Gibby LP neck ain't gonna work with the Saga Kit... Saga kits are all bolt on, as I understand them, and an LP has a set neck. LP necks are glued into a guitar body, and the joint looks completely different than a bolt on.

There are, however, a few set neck kits floating around if you're feeling adventurous. I don't know which companies ship to your area of the world, though.

markb
October 8th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Hi, Cav! Snow all gone down there yet?

Like Kat said, Les Pauls use a set neck. The neck is glued to the body using a mortice and tenon joint. The length of this joint has varied over the life of the LP and is the cause of a lot of chatter about its tonal effect.

GREENMACHINE
October 8th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Hey guys,
Thanks kat for that info. I will keep my eyes open for some of those necks. Thanks again.

Thanks Mark. Yeah all the snows gone now, we didn't get too much damage, all the damage we got was the spoughting fell off one side of the house, otehr than that that was it. So we were pretty lucky compared to some people, and the Southland Stadium!

deeaa
October 8th, 2010, 10:05 PM
It'd be a good project and very interesting indeed, but I bet it'd be cheaper, easier and better results if you hunted down a very used Epi LP or similar, or what are those, Xaviers and such, and renovate and modify it to your liking.

I just got me a Yamaha RG312 carcass I gutted and did some fret level last night; I'll sand it and oil the body dark and put in an EMG, no other pickups...could make a great home playing trick guitar. Maybe have to get me a better floyd, though, but I'll only do that once I find the neck is indeed totally straight, it looks like there could be an ever so slight twist to it but hard to say until it's tensioned and all.

ZMAN
October 16th, 2010, 07:23 AM
[QUOTE=GREENMACHINE]Hey guys,
I'v always liked a white Les Paul but at the moment I can't afford one and I can't fine a nice white one where I live that I like, so I though I would get a kit set one (the Saga LC-10) and make it myself. I had this idea that for the design it would be white body with either black or a gun metal or charcoal dark grey coloured binding (havent decided which colour yet) and my girlfriend writes poems and lyrics so I would like to put some of her words across the back part of the guitar in calligraphy type font in the same colour as I decide to do the binding. The neck would be ebony with the pearl inlays like the Gibson Les Pauls have and the hardware would be chrome and I'd put Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge and a Seymour Duncan '59 model SH-1 and TB59 for the neck.... anyways back on track again. I really like the neck on my Gibson Lucille because of its weight and how it feels, are Les Pauls bolt on necks or through body? Because I'd like to order a Les Paul neck to put on this Saga LC-10.

IF you don't care what is on the headstock Epi makes a bolt on neck for some of their budget LPs. You might be able to find one of those.
I think one of them has the full inlays.
http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=327&CollectionID=6