PDA

View Full Version : Measuring capacitance?

marnold
October 8th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Is there a way that you can use a multimeter to measure the capacitance of a given guitar cable?

jim p
October 9th, 2010, 05:17 AM
If your meter has a capacitance function then you would connect the one meter probe to the tip of the ΒΌ inch jack and the other probe to the sleeve with the other end of the cable unconnected. Another way if you have a scope and function generator would be to use the cable as a capacitor in a series RC circuit and adjust the frequency till you see 0.707 of the signal from the generator across the resistor at the point the capacitive reactance equals the value of the resistor. So then you could calculate the value of the capacitance from the frequency set on the sine wave frequency generator.

bcdon
October 9th, 2010, 10:09 AM
You can get multi-meters that can measure it for you. I like Flukes but they can be expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Fluke-115-Compact-True-RMS-Multimeter/dp/B000OCFFMW

Ch0jin
October 11th, 2010, 05:26 PM
I love your method Jim P.

Spoken like someone who has an AF generator and dual channel Oscilloscope lurking in their spare room ;)

But yeah, the easiest way is to buy an expensive DMM like that fluke. I wish my old 86 had capacitance measurement...