PDA

View Full Version : BG Hand Wound Pickups

FrankenFretter
October 9th, 2010, 12:59 AM
I just heard about this guy, Bryan Gunsher, who hand-winds pickups in his shop in California. As a guy who would one day love to own a set of hand wound custom pickups, these seem a little closer to affordable than others I've looked at. Anybody here own some BGs? They're cheaper than a set of Gibson 57 Classics, and did I mention that they're hand wound? Pretty cool. Check out his site (http://www.bg-pups.com/index.html)!

piebaldpython
February 28th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Bad-*ss pups!! Love mine and I'm getting 2 more. Let's see what I have:

Custom lap steel with a BG Lizard in the Neck and BG Hella-bucker in the Bridge. The Lizard is creamy-dreamy and the Hella-Bucker is a monster. The HB splits and sounds fabulous. I have a 6 way switch on the git. Great sound from it.

Custom 8 string lap steel: I wanted Tele-style pups and so my guy made the bobbins and Brian wound them to our specs for a honky-tonky bluesy-sound. 4-way switch. Great sound.

Custom lap steel that is being made as we speak will have BG Pups Tele Custom Neck Blues pup in the neck and a BG Pups Hot90 in the bridge.

Somehow, Brian's pups give a 3D component to the sound. Sounds dumb but I don't know how else to describe it. Just a great, full, overall from all directions kind of sound. Good bite if you want it.

The guy who has built my lap steels thinks the world of Brian and his winding abilities. He puts him right up there with Jason Lollar.

You won't be sorry if you go with Brian. He has a long lead time though, 8-10 weeks I think.

Steve

Commodore 64
February 28th, 2011, 12:41 PM
www.rosepickups.com

Ken will hand wind them for you too. My Alba and Bourbons were shipped within a couple days (both hand wound).

FrankenFretter
February 28th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Thanks PBP and C64. Looks like the Rose pickups are somewhat less expensive, although I haven't factored in shipping. To be honest, I don't think I have a guitar that needs any hand wounds at the moment, although the Rose site has a Tele bridge pickup that's on sale for $27, and that is a steal for a hand wound pickup. Pretty tempting...

I was thinking at one point about getting some custom pickups for my Agile, but it's become my pickup tester guitar for my magnet swaps, and it's now on it's 4th set of pickups. There's probably no point in putting something special in that one, since I'll probably just pull them out to test something else eventually.

Commodore 64
February 28th, 2011, 05:34 PM
The Westerlands aren't hand wound, I don't think. Still sound good, but not hand wound.

FrankenFretter
February 28th, 2011, 08:59 PM
The Westerlands aren't hand wound, I don't think. Still sound good, but not hand wound.

Ah, my mistake. I believe you are correct, sir.