PDA

View Full Version : Bass Amph Features

NWBasser
October 10th, 2010, 11:10 AM
When it comes to amphs, it seems we bass players get a few handy features not typically found on git amphs.

Like a mute switch and a tuner output. I can hit the mute on my footswitch and tune silently. Very nice. This is actually something I'd like to see on guitar amphs.

Also, some pro level bass amphs like my Genz Benz have an auxillary input which I use for running a drum machine in for practice.

Most bass amphs have an effects loop, even though effects aren't used quite as much by bass players.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a bass amph without a DI. The one on my amph can be used either pre or post preamp and sounds fantastic post for recording. However, since guitar amphs get so much of the tone from the speaker, I can certainly see why they wouldn't be as useful on one.

I guess guitar players get the chicks, but we bassists get a bunch of cool amphs features!

FrankenFretter
October 10th, 2010, 01:32 PM
My Cube60 has a tuner out, and a DI with speaker emulation. At least that's what I've read, seeing as I've never used the DI. I know the tuner out works fine.

Does your new HK have any of those things?

Ch0jin
October 10th, 2010, 02:13 PM
My Peavey 410 series Bass head has a couple of nifty features too. Like a boggling range of inputs for a start (there are six, all for bass).

But the coolest thing is that one channel features a built in fuzz circuit and distortion circuit! You can dial in as much fuzz and as much distortion as you like and you can even blend the ratio of fuzz to distortion. THEN, as if that wasn't cool enough, you can also run the clean channel (with it's separate eq) in series or parallel with the Distortion/Fuzz channel.

The fuzz circuit is one of the best I've heard for bass actually. One day I'll be motivated enough to try and get a schematic and see if I can make a pedal based on it.

So yeah, I hear what your saying NWBasser :)

Oh and this aint some kind of new amp technology. I don't know how old my "The Bass" is (seriously, thats what its called in the instructions) but it's pretty old. Think original Peavey logo with the crazy 80's angles old....

Oh and no this one doesn't have a tuner out OR DI out! It does have a pre out for a slave power amp though.

Eric
October 10th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Wow, Ch0jin, welcome back! Been awhile, huh?

NWBasser
October 10th, 2010, 05:10 PM
My Cube60 has a tuner out, and a DI with speaker emulation. At least that's what I've read, seeing as I've never used the DI. I know the tuner out works fine.

Does your new HK have any of those things?

The H&K has an effects loop, but I don't run any effects....

I was really thinking in general terms that bass heads seem to have these nifty little things about them that aren't usually found on guitar amphs.

Of course, I have yet to find a bass head which offers screeming soloes.:poke

Ch0jin
October 10th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Wow, Ch0jin, welcome back! Been awhile, huh?

Thanks, It sure has :)