PDA

View Full Version : Big changes in Katastropheworld lately...

Katastrophe
October 10th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I is a stoooooodint! Enrolled in a local college at the beginning of the semester, studying to be an Occupational Therapist Assistant. I'm taking Anatomy & Physiology, Psychology, Interpersonal Communication, and Music Appreciation this semester.

I've had to access information stored in this 38 year old brain that hasn't been accessed in a loooooooooooong time. I'm not the oldest in every class, but I'm up there. It's interesting to me to see the younger students interact. Not much different from my time as a youth, with the exception of a WHOLE lot of technology that just wasn't available 20 years ago.

Also, it looks like I have a new job, as an ICU Monitor Tech at a nearby hospital. It was a big relief, as I have been out of work for a while. This position is entry level, but it has the potential to lead to further employment in my field of study, good benefits, and a good work environment (judging from what others who work there tell me). I go in tomorrow morning to do some employment paperwork and medical stuff necessary for the job.

Eric
October 10th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Cool deal! That's a lot of classes you're taking if you'll be working too, so good luck with it. Maybe you can teach people to regain their finger control for better guitar playing!

marnold
October 10th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Good news! The nice thing about getting a job with a hospital is that generally the health insurance is good.

Brian Krashpad
October 11th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Sounds good Kat! Congrats and good onya for going back to school.

Tig
October 11th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Good for ya', Kat! Looks like things are going your way. The medical field is one of the few strongholds. I just survived a layoff last Monday in a government contracted company.

We tend to be better students that we were in our teens and 20's. I was in the fire academy when I was 30 (oldest guy there) and had a 4.0 GPA and graduated 3rd in my class.
Now in my late 40's however, I think I passed my prime learning zone. I thought about going to school for an RN, but my aging brain and memory aren't what they used to be! DOH!

poodlesrule
October 11th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Good going, Mr. Kat!

ICU work may mean long or odd hours..?

I love people working in the medical field, and I think they should get more recognition from society.

bigoldron
October 11th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Good luck, Kat.

Katastrophe
October 11th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Good going, Mr. Kat!

ICU work may mean long or odd hours..?

I love people working in the medical field, and I think they should get more recognition from society.

Thanks, y'all! Went in today and filled out all my paperwork, gave a blood and urine sample for pre-employment screening. I'm excited, hopeful and ready to go!

It turns out that there is extra pay for weekends, nights and holidays. I'll be working 12 hour shifts on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, probably at night, and definitely on holidays (low man on the totem pole, but I sure don't mind). Most likely I'll be working from 7 pm to 7 am. I've done it before and don't mind working overnight.

Just got through with Psychology homework on the ways we percieve our world. Interesting stuff.

sunvalleylaw
October 11th, 2010, 10:38 PM
That's great Kat! I applaud you and wish you the best in your endeavors! I always loved being a student. One thing I love about lawyering and coachign is that you remain a student if you want to be any good.

Make sure to take some study breaks and record something to share with your fret.net friends! ;)

Tig
October 12th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Looks like you'll be on my shift. I'll take being the low man with wierd hours over not working, any day, as I'm sure you'll agree! :AOK

I'm happy for you.

duhvoodooman
October 12th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Big changes, indeed! You are to be commended for taking the initiative to "start over" from a career perspective. Good on you, Kat! Looks like a great field to get into.... :thumbsup

Katastrophe
October 13th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Big changes, indeed! You are to be commended for taking the initiative to "start over" from a career perspective. Good on you, Kat! Looks like a great field to get into.... :thumbsup

Thanks, y'all!

The extra studying paid off... Got a 90 on my last lab practical in Anatomy. It will offset the 74 I got on the previous test. Still in solid "B" territory...

@Tig: From my Psych class we learned that as we age, we need more brain stimulation to keep the ol' synapses firing. Going to school can and will cause more neural connections to be made! Besides, at your age, you're not even considered "vintage" yet (and that number increases as I get older)!

piebaldpython
October 13th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Congrats and good look with all that schoolin'. :applause

Childbride
October 13th, 2010, 11:12 PM
good luck, my friend. :cool: you don't need it, but kick booty. :thumbsup