PDA

View Full Version : Nbacd

MAXIFUNK
October 11th, 2010, 12:35 PM
NEW BASS AMP & CAB DAY!

Last Thursday I picked up a medium/large gig setup so I would not have to keep borrowing my friend's SWR/Ampeg setup. My 1st real Bass Rig in over 25+ years.

After testing out SWR, Ampeg, Mark Bass, I went to the Hollywood Mesa Boogie store and they had a pretty nice sale going on tried out some of their guitar gear as well as Bass Gear. Also, after being urged by several folks I know who tour with Mesa Boogie bass gear, I had to check out their bass gear.

Anyway long story short I picked up
M9 Carbine Rackmount Bass Amp 900 watts of Funk Thunder!! :dance :happy
PowerHouseâ„¢1200 Bass Cabinet 4x10 1x15 all in one cab!!! :dance :happy

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Amps/carbine/M9Carbine.html
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Cabs/PowerhouseCABS/PHbass1200-LG.htm

I have it setup at our practice place this is love at 1st thump & pop.
Fingering sounds so clear and tight the intro to Skin Tight really sounds great.
"Turn it out" by Graham Central Station sent chills down my spine it sounded so damn good. Plus having it there keeps me from explaining to my wife I BOUGHT some more gear this year. LOL
As soon as I log more time on this Rig more updates and pics to follow.
We have a gig in 3 weeks with the new members I can not wait.

marnold
October 11th, 2010, 12:44 PM
I thought I heard a rumbling off in the west. Congrats on the new goodies!

NWBasser
October 12th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Now there's a rig I can really appreciate!:dude

When I was testing jazz basses, I tried a Carbine 6 awhile back and it sounded very sweet indeed.

That setup you got would be sooo funkalicous!:thumbsup

Spudman
October 12th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Careful you don't trigger an earthquake with that rig. Congrats on the great sounding setup...and for a price none of us will mention anything to your wife.:poke

MAXIFUNK
October 12th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Thanks guys, This deal was way to good to pass up crazy mark downs.
I am certain the market is slow now.

@NWBASSER I was looking at the carbine 6 but the deal for the 9 was a no brainier it was serious steal.

@Spud Sometimes a man has to do what a man has to do. LOL
I hope beer buys silence.:thumbsup

So much for a tweaker this year that is a few years worth of birthday gifts. LOL

NWBasser
October 13th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Maxi, I thought the 6 gave a good representation of the Carbine tone and so I have at least some idea of what your new rig sounds like.

I'd definitely take the 9 any day and especially if there was a good deal to be had.

Pics?

Tone report??

What size venues are you going to be shaking with the new toy?

Brian Krashpad
October 13th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Congrats!

I really need to get more wattage with my gigging bass amp.

I got an old SVT fridge 8x10 that sounds great, so I'm set for cabs.

MAXIFUNK
October 17th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Maxi, I thought the 6 gave a good representation of the Carbine tone and so I have at least some idea of what your new rig sounds like.
I'd definitely take the 9 any day and especially if there was a good deal to be had.
Pics?
Tone report??
What size venues are you going to be shaking with the new toy?

Pics next week if I remember.

Tone: This rig can do it all!!! OLD SCHOOL tone think (Larry Graham, Philip Lynott, Louis Johnson) that Ampeg bottom growl. Modern tone think (Marcus Miller, Les Claypool, Fieldy) that SWR/MarkBass bite and tight mids. I'm still learning my way around this rig but so far it can do it all. I am waiting to see how some pedals (if they still work) I thought I lost years ago sound going through this rig it will be fun to get my Bootsy on.

Some songs I've tried and really dug the sound of "My name is mud", "Panther" "Engine in me" very clear tight and all the sonic boom one requires.
This might even be better than my 80's rig but only time will tell.

Venues; Some decent size clubs and halls and outdoor gigs.
Our next gig is at a Biker club that is larger than most clubs on the Hollywood Strip they really have no neighbors, SO it will be time to get loud and this crowds likes all types of music so we can play anything. 1st gig with the new AXE players so familiar surroundings will be cool for 1st time out the gate together.

My chops are still not what they were but they are getting better and so is my confidence it is real fun to be playing out again. I am starting to get gas for new bass Ibanez 5000E or SRT900DX I would like to have both. Oh well but not anytime soon.