PDA

View Full Version : Boss FDR-1

kidsmoke
October 11th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Anyone familiar with this pedal? Seems to me it's a variation on, or simply a limited multi-effects pedal that targets one particular amp.

Reason for it's appeal is that what I really want is limited effects. A bit of reverb, a bit of tremolo (vibrato in 65 fender speak) and the gain and tone may come in handy.

Seems like a good way to add limited tones in limited space. Award winning. EXPENSIVE. Boss, which are solid little units.

Anyone have any experience with it?

Most owner feedback I can find trashes the 'verb component on it.

SemiHollow
October 13th, 2010, 06:39 PM
IMO all Boss distortion/OD pedals sound real grainy and ultimately... terrible. The reverb on the fdr1 is decent but at that price, you can find much superior products. I do agree with you on wanting a pedal with OD/reverb/tremolo all in one pedal, but I just found the fdr1 to be mediocre/bad all around.

kidsmoke
October 13th, 2010, 08:02 PM
thanks for the feedback, SemiHollow.

I wouldn't pay retail, for sure. Dude in my neighborhood is selling one on craigslist, $100, which made me curious. I still don't think I'll do it though. Taking the time to create a couple presets on my DP50 goes part of the way there for very little money. Save the benjamin for an actual deluxe!

SemiHollow
October 17th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Saving the money towards an actual deluxe is a good idea. IMO I've yet to hear an OD pedal that matched the tone of a good amp. Some do apparently close and if you were to take that route, I might look to "boutique" pedals