PDA

View Full Version : Les Paul Standard Value?

Jx2
October 12th, 2010, 10:17 AM
A friend of mine has a Gibson Les Paul Standard. He said the finish was a limited run to I think 1,000. He called it bromstone burst or something similar. Its a burst with a red flame top, all gold hardware and what not. Its a 2009 model. He told me he paid 2500 for it new just a few months back. I know without more details its hard to say but anyone know what a fair value of this guitar is? Im wondering because he's interested in my fishing vessel. My boat isnt the greatest thing in the world, but I traded a Dodge Ram 1500 for it and similar boats seem to sell between 1500-3000 on craigslist. I thought about trying to pry the Les Paul out of him for the boat. But even if he wont come off it he does have a nice Gretch, and what he called a Jim Croce model Ovation so we'll see where this goes...sure be nice to land this LP though, even though if I could find one more of my color Id trade it in a heart beat....:dude

ZMAN
October 16th, 2010, 07:12 AM
You mean Brimstone Burst.
http://www.12fret.com/new/Gibson_Les%20Paul_Std_Brimstone_pg.html
I would say if it is a 2009 it would be worth 2000 to him I bet.
Looks like a really nice guitar.

Jimi75
November 29th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Don't expect more than the price he paid in 2009.
Currentyl you get great prices for 1993 models.

otaypanky
November 29th, 2010, 01:08 PM
beautiful finish, but I'm sorry to say, I've never been a fan of gold hardware.

Me either ~
The good thing is it wears off so fast ! : )

I realize he is your friend, but this is still a negotiation and it sounds as if you feel your boat may not be worth quite as much as the LP.
Having spent decades in sales of pretty high priced items, there was one negotiating tip I was told that actually proved quite effective for me on several occasions. After you state your price or your offer, say NOTHING, remain silent. Sometimes the silence will extend for so long that it starts getting a bit uncomfortable. One's inclination, especially with a friend, is to continue speaking in an attempt to justify your offer. But don't do it. Let him be the first one to speak.
"Well Charlie, after thinking about it long and hard, I'd be willing to trade my fishing boat for that guitar even up." Then crack a beer and wait ~~~
Good Luck, it's a pretty guitar