PDA

View Full Version : Guv'nor Dead. Looking at options

AudioWonderland
October 12th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I am pretty sure my original Guv'nor has bought it. I have the new version Guv but its not the same. I have the usual SD-1/Tubescreamer/Fulldrive II and they are good at what they are but are pretty different from the Guv'nor.

having had what I needed for the last 20 years I really haven't looked into OD pedals. Short of surfing through hundreds of over priced boutique pedals what are the good production OD pedals to look at?

Commodore 64
October 12th, 2010, 02:47 PM
I'm not a good judge of these things yet. But I have a Boss DS-1, A Boss OD-2 (I think-yellow with 4 knobs), A digitech Bad Monkey, an Allum Modded Boss BD-2, and a Marshall Jackhammer.

I keep ending up with the Jackhammer engaged whenever I practice. It has Distortion and OD choices, contour, frequency, gain, and level. A lot of stuff to tweak. I always try the others too, and land on the BD2 now and again, but more often than not, I'm stomping on the Jackhammer.

Algonquin
October 12th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I'm pretty happy with the budget priced Danelectro Cool Cat Drive. You can't go too wrong with a pedal in this price range. :AOK

AudioWonderland
October 12th, 2010, 05:30 PM
I'm pretty happy with the budget priced Danelectro Cool Cat Drive. You can't go too wrong with a pedal in this price range. :AOK

I have heard rumors that the Dano Daddy O is a very similar circuit to the Guv'nor. Jut not sure which version of the Guv'nor

markb
October 12th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Try a GV-2 Guv'nor or a pre-2003 ProCo Rat.

Eric
October 12th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Is that V1, the Tim clone that was banned? Or was that the transparent overdrive?

bcdon
October 12th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I am pretty sure my original Guv'nor has bought it. I have the new version Guv but its not the same.
Talk to duhvoodooman here on The Fret.. maybe he can fix it for you.

Algonquin
October 12th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Is that V1, the Tim clone that was banned? Or was that the transparent overdrive?
I believe the Transparent OD was rumoured to be a Timmy clone, which may be why they released the V.2
When I picked one up, I opted for the V.1

duhvoodooman
October 12th, 2010, 07:55 PM
That was the original version of the Transparent Overdrive that was a Timmy circuit copy.

duhvoodooman
October 12th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Talk to duhvoodooman here on The Fret.. maybe he can fix it for you.
Would be happy to take a look at it. These things can usually be fixed pretty easily/cheaply. PM me if interested.....

deeaa
October 13th, 2010, 01:26 AM
If the new Guvnor is too dark/tubescreamey for you, I can also recommend the Jackhammer. OD mode is close to the new Guvnor but is much clearer and less, well, 'tubescreamy', more like a JCM800 amp drive sound with great string separation and classic marshall bite. And as C64 said, it's got great EQ too. I don't use the distortion side myself, but the OD engaged it has been my go-to pedal for many years now. Plus, they're cheap!

SuperSwede
October 13th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Check out BlackstarĀ“s HT line of pedals.. I have the HT Drive and I am more than satisified with it.

AudioWonderland
October 13th, 2010, 06:18 AM
If the new Guvnor is too dark/tubescreamey for you, I can also recommend the Jackhammer. OD mode is close to the new Guvnor but is much clearer and less, well, 'tubescreamy', more like a JCM800 amp drive sound with great string separation and classic marshall bite. And as C64 said, it's got great EQ too. I don't use the distortion side myself, but the OD engaged it has been my go-to pedal for many years now. Plus, they're cheap!

Well, I would not say the GV2 is too tube screamer like. Its just a little more jagged in the top end than the original. Can't put my finger on exactly what the cause is. The result is I do prefer it for metal sounds but I virtually never need that sound.

Perfect Stranger
October 13th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Give the new ProCo SOLO a test drive. I LUB mine.....

fIdgyFcmGY4