PDA

View Full Version : Small Amp

Jx2
October 12th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I knew better, but the idea of owning a Randall half stack has been something Ive wanted for years. Even when I wasnt playing if I saw a pic of one somewhere or see one in person Id stop and admire it in its glory. Now that I have one, nothing to fancy just the RX120D. Its WAY to much for me, I knew it but impulse killed me. Ive decided I should try to fix this, find that amp that better suits what Im doing now and my living situation, my half stack hasnt got off 2 and thats just on the rare occansion normaly set on 1 with the guitar volume dialed back. I want one I can run wide open enough to find that sweet spot.

Figured you guys are very resorcefull, so what would you suggest? Ive thought about something like the Fender Champion 600, but could go 25-30 watts. Doesnt really matter about tube or not, Ive played on ss for years. Only owned 1 tube and enjoyed it very much but its not something I must have. One thing I dont want....digital effects or amp mod's. I want something that is what it is and doesnt try to be something else.

Playing style, Ive been playing more blues, and alot of slash riff's be GnR, VR or his new stuff as well as LZ, and stuff similar alot lately enjoying it so much I just might not mess with metal again. O yea and the Ramones and Nirvana...:dude

tunghaichuan
October 13th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Figured you guys are very resorcefull, so what would you suggest? Ive thought about something like the Fender Champion 600, but could go 25-30 watts. Doesnt really matter about tube or not, Ive played on ss for years. Only owned 1 tube and enjoyed it very much but its not something I must have. One thing I dont want....digital effects or amp mod's. I want something that is what it is and doesnt try to be something else.

Playing style, Ive been playing more blues, and alot of slash riff's be GnR, VR or his new stuff as well as LZ, and stuff similar alot lately enjoying it so much I just might not mess with metal again. O yea and the Ramones and Nirvana...:dude

There are lots of ways to go with a small amp. Guitar amp companies are now producing a lot of various small/smaller amps.

I have a Fender Champion 600. It is okay. I must have gotten an early one, because mine hums a bit. This is partly because of the nature of single ended, Class A amps. It is also partly Fender's fault for crappy layout design. The speaker is only like 6", so this amp doesn't really sound that good to me.

The one that started the resurgence is the Epiphone Valve Junior, this is a single ended Class A amp using one EL84 in the output. The latest version sounds pretty good stock, and there are a ton of mods you can do to them. The head and 1x12" cabinet sound much better than the combo version with the 8" speaker. Epiphone also makes a Valve Senior which is a push pull Class AB amp using two 6V6s in the output. It puts out about 15 watts.

Blackheart makes a few different low watt amps including the 1W Killer Ant head, 5W Little Giant (head and combo), and the 15W Handsome Devil (head and combo). I have a Little Giant head and combo. These are like an upscale Valve Junior. They appear to be built a bit better than the Epiphone line.

Ibanez has a new 15W push pull 6V6 amp out that has a built in Tube Screamer.

VHT makes an amp called the Special 6 (head and combo) which has a Class A single ended 6V6 output. The unique thing about this amp is that it is hand wired on an eyelet board (but made in China).

There are a bunch more as well.

Jx2
October 13th, 2010, 09:21 AM
As usual, I decided to return my RP255 multi-effect in exchange for a Champion. It was the first amp I was drawn to when I started my recent search. It seems alot of people question the 6" speaker, but I figure if nothing else I can run it through my 4x12 cab. Seen some videos of guys doing that. And they claim it sounds alot better. If it turns out great I'll hold on to both amps or at least the cab.

Bloozcat
October 13th, 2010, 09:43 AM
How much do you have to spend, Jx2?

From your description of the music you like to play and the wattage requirement of the new amp, an 18 watt Marshall clone sounds about perfect. There are many variants of this basic design with some tweaked to sound like a Mini-JTM45 or a Mini-Plexi (and one that does both). They're expensive if you buy one already built, but much more reasonable if you built one from a kit (if you're so inclined).

DuhVoodooMan bought an 18 watt TMB kit from this company:
http://www.trinityamps.com

He did a lot of research on 18 watt kits before choosing this one. I've since checked them out and I agree with DVM that they offer about the best bang for the buck out there. Within the next few months I plan to buy an 18 watt kit from them myself. I'll probably get their Slll TMB Plexi version with the clean boost switch. Covers the tones of both the JTM45 and the Plexi from what I've heard on YouTube. The thing about this version is that you can also get really good clean tones on the TMB channel in addition to the Marshall grind.

Jx2
October 13th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Those are probably out of my range now. Id probably only be able to spend what I could sell my Randall for, so its hard to say. But again, Im not 100% sold to tube only. Plus now with the fact Im waiting upon deleivery of a Fender Champion I'll probably hold off on pushing this amp till I get it and have a chance to use the cab with the Champion, if it sounds good then I probably wont mess with anything. Might try to sell the Randall head, but I think the RX series heads sell new for $300, so I might just hang on to it then again might try to sell it for enough to get a good OD pedal, that Pork Lion looks pretty sweet about right now.

Brian Krashpad
October 13th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Fwiw, I have been VERY happy with my li'l Fender Super Champ XD. It's 15W w/a 10" speaker. I play it mic'd in church and lined-out to the PA in my side "hippie" band (acoustic roots/Americana/folkrock without a full drum kit). For one bigger show (with a different band using a full drum kit) I even used it as a monitor so I could have it's clean and drive sounds, and it's delay (my delay pedal died a long time ago) and reverb effect, and lined it out to a bigger 60W tube 2x12 rig (mic'd) in the backline.

I got it for $175 used, but like new, in a pawn. Spent another $10 or $15 to get the footswitch. Really versatile, has all kinds of amp models in it, plus both pre-amp and power amp tubes.

guitarhack
October 13th, 2010, 02:36 PM
+1 for the SCXD. I just got mine recently and love it. You might also consider one of the Peavey Classics. Really good bang for the buck!

Brian Krashpad
October 13th, 2010, 02:38 PM
+1 for the SCXD. I just got mine recently and love it. You might also consider one of the Peavey Classics. Really good bang for the buck!

Congrats! I have also heard uniformly good things about the Peavey Classics.

Ch0jin
October 13th, 2010, 02:53 PM
.....then theres' the Marshall Class 5. All tube 5W 1x10 Combo.

SemiHollow
October 13th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Fender Pro Jr. Great clean and great break up when you push it. The Champ 600 is also a great amp, but breaks up in an entirely different way. 6v6 vs. EL84