PDA

View Full Version : TheFret.net a threat?

syo
October 13th, 2010, 07:50 AM
After a long day's slog pounding the floor at a Chinese trade show, I thought I'd unwind after dinner by listening to (and watching) some fretter's recommendations here. Unfortunately however, I find that all of the videos are being blocked so I can't unwind properly. Apparently the PRC has deemed The Fret a national security risk.

Actually, Youtube has been blocked for a year or two here so I guess that must be it. I guess when in Rome, do without...

Robert
October 13th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Ahh, so the Republic is worried the Fret.net might take over the world? :)

Ch0jin
October 13th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Totally normal from what I hear.

I was in Beijing last year for a while leading up to the big 60th anniversary and whilst security was OTT then, most people I spoke to said that the net is tightly regulated. For example, when I was there, no facebook, youtube (as u say) minimal international news sites and likely much much more, but after I discovered no Facebook updates, I pretty much stopped trying and went out.

I also had similar issues in Syria by the way.

syo
October 13th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Ahh, so the Republic is worried the Fret.net might take over the world? :)
No, but I think they are concerned we might try to steal their GAS...:D

Totally normal from what I hear.

I was in Beijing last year for a while leading up to the big 60th anniversary and whilst security was OTT then, most people I spoke to said that the net is tightly regulated. For example, when I was there, no facebook, youtube (as u say) minimal international news sites and likely much much more, but after I discovered no Facebook updates, I pretty much stopped trying and went out.
Yes, I come here every few months and that is indeed the case. Although in most intl. tourist hotels, most of the news sites are available. I asked a Chinese friend who recently moved back to China after 7 years in the US, what he missed most about the states. He said, "youtube"...