PDA

View Full Version : Preliminary review of new Epi Faded SG

Duffy
October 14th, 2010, 07:55 AM
I got a new Epi Faded SG in cherry with set neck and covered alnico classic, supposedly, HBs.

This SG plays, feels, sounds, and looks great. I have been playing it thru my Tweaker and Little Giant heads into Epi cabs.

The Faded SG cost only 299. I have been trying to avoid inexpensive guitars in my guitar upgrade plan, but this SG Faded played and LOOKED so great that it dissipated my desire to get a new Gibson SG Faded.

The reviews on this guitar are super great, anywhere you look.

It has great tone from both pickups and I especially enjoy the neck pickup, with some drive, for its really full and comples tone. The bridge pup has similar complexity but is brighter and more of a lead type pup, but for rythym this neck pup is great.

The finish on this guitar is incredible; a satin faded finish that reveals the natural mahogany wood grain beautifully but does not have the high gloss like my other SG. It is a very light guitar, which I can enjoy as well as a heavy guitar. The neck feels great and is bound with rosewood, almost impossible to recognize and the fret ends are polished with no rough ends

For 299 out the door with a set of new strings I think this is a great guitar. The action is one of the lowest of any of my guitars without any buzz. I put a set of new tens on it and it sounds great.

If anyone is looking for an inexpensive humbucker guitar or an inexpensive SG, this SG Faded Epi is a really fine instrument to consider. It has a certain appeal that the more expensive G400's do not share, having to do with its satin finish and antique look, not relic'd. It is in the G400 line and is called the G400 Faded, previously called the Vintage G400 in a similar form during times gone by. This is a real value for a great sounding SG if you are looking for an SG tone or a base onto which you can try to build a more awesome SG.

SG's are guitars that I really like and when I find one that I really like it strikes a chord in me. With this in mind I thought I should share my thoughts about this really nice, inexpensive SG so that those on limited bugets or those looking for a great sounding SG might get put on a hot trail to a potentially great find.

Everyone is jumping on the super popular inexpensive Squier CV's, but they are single coils and noisey, especially with high gain modern amps.

There is nothing like a great sounding humbucking equipped guitar and this inexpensive Epi looks great and is built well, in addition to all the player amenities that it offers. And, after all, there is nothing like an SG, and this version LOOKS like a real SG.

Hope some of you find this informative.

guitarhack
October 14th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Good review, Duffy. I've been looking at the Epi SG's, too. I've played one of the Special models and really liked the sound, and the weight. I haven't played one of the faded models yet but will have to try one the next time I visit the GAS station that carries them.

marnold
October 14th, 2010, 10:13 AM
How is it when sitting as far as neck-dive goes? That's been the one issue that has kind of put me off them.

Duffy
October 14th, 2010, 11:58 AM
How is it when sitting? That's something I should have definitely addressed because everyone states that as a fault of the SG; actually it isn't necessarily a fault, but rather a characteristic and the neck might have a lot to do with the characteristic tone.

When sitting or reclining there is absolutely no nose dive. It is a relatively light guitar, so when you have it cradled, such as sitting or reclining, the guitar does not have gravity working on it freely.

Also, when standing the neck dive can be eliminated by using one of those very nice wide leather straps that have the raw hide on the side that touches your shirt, the glossy side out. These are usually 3 1/2 " or 4 "es wide and are nice leather straps. The wide strap with the rough raw hide side down grips onto your shirt and halts the ability of the neck to dive by friction against your shirt. I have made a few o these straps out of just plain leather, no snaps or other slides or connectors myself by using one I bought for my son as a template and some leather I had laying around. They are not expensive straps to buy and have distinctive adjustment slits in the leather near the fret hand end to weave the strap thru to achieve the correct strap length for you. Every substantial guitar place has them that I've been in. Even Fender makes a nice one.

So that's an easy fix.

The SG Special: isn't that a bolt on neck? I think that will cost almost as much as the Faded, but the Faded is a beautiful set neck SG. Supposedly the set neck helps produce the characteristic LP and SG sound and sustain - mahogany set into mahogany, almost like one solid piece of mahogany.

I would recommend the Faded over the Special or certainly over the G310. Everything is different with these guitars. I don't think the Special is in the G400 series. I wouldn't recommend moving any lower than the Faded or the built quality and materials are going to suffer far more than the difference in price. The SG Vintage or more recently, the Faded, is a tremendous value guitar.

There i something about the shape and feel that gives the SG a classic appeal that stands up to the test of time like a strat or LP. The sound is really beautiful, from almost stratlike to a roaring LP type sound - leaning more toward the LP with a great bottom end bass tone, full and complex.

So, when you sit and play the neck dive disappears. I have never noticed neck dive and I have two Epi SG's but I don't use thin or glossy on both sides straps. Semi-pro's I've talked to dismiss the neck dive complaint and say you get used to in in minutes, and if you like the sound it's a small price to pay.

I would avoid the Special and move up to the Faded; can't be much, if any, price difference and it is money well spent I would definitely say.

Hope these comments help you guys as you further consider the SG, an incredible timeless classic guitar.

ZMAN
October 14th, 2010, 02:49 PM
I have owned a Gibson SG since 1968. It is a special with P90s. I really love that guitar. My buddy bought one of the worn brown faded SGs with the 490/498 open coil pickups when they first came out. It was really a nice guitar. The neck was pretty close to my 68 and the pickups were really responsive. I have seen a few clips of the SG400 faded and they seem to be pretty good as well. For 299 you can't expect much but I guess most of the ones I have heard deliver a very presentable tone. One thing that most people miss, when playing an SG is the playing poisition. With the double cut you get really good access to the top frets. That makes the guitar seem neck heavy but I think it is just further "out" on the body. For some reason the action on an SG always seems to be very low and buzzless. They are a very overlooked guitar and the regular Gibson SGs can be had used for a Grand all day. The fadeds for 6 to 7 hundred used. If the Epi can come close to the Gibby fadeds with the Epi pickups they would be a great aquisition.

Duffy
October 14th, 2010, 05:51 PM
True Z. I have two Epi SG's now. A heavier glossy '66 Gibson Standard copy in trans cherry and this new Faded SG. I'm going to A/B them soon. I need to get the flatwounds off of the "66 copy and put on a set of tens I have. The '66 was hand picked and sounds incredible, even better than some Gibsons I compared it to the day I bought it- at store volume levels thru a Hot Rod Deluxe.

This Faded Epi SG is a real nice cheap guitar. I had a Gibson Faded in brown with the open coil pickups and it was stolen. I was going to possibly get the faded red version but never got around to it and the rip off still has bad vibes for me. I think I can enjoy a new Gibson SG though and might get one someday. I wish I could find these used deals that you guys seem to float in. Every time I look at ebay, etc., they want as much or more than a brand new one, after you figure in shipping - and this is without even having any first hand knowledge of the instrument.

I'd say this Faded SG Epi is to the Gibson SG as the CV strats and teles are to the Fender versions. The quality is definity there, feel, construction, pickups. I imagine this Faded would sound great with that Givson 500T in the bridge and a 57 in the neck. That would be one hot guitar, and very nice handling. I don't see any need to upgrade anything at this time. The electronics are all Gibson and pots have a nice even distribution across their sweep. The tuners are doing well enough but some of those lockers like on my Tribute would probably fit and be real nice. I put graphite in the nut when I changed strings. The fretboard is very nice and smooth and the frets are nice and big.

For 299 it was a great value; but my Agile AL 3100 top/bottom body bound cherry flammed burst was also a super great deal at 299. I want a black one those. Hope they go on sale.

I was going to buy a NOS Vox blue series with the traditional Vox grill cloth, the AD60VTX, for a remarkable 200 dollars brand new; but the Vox dealer wouldn't offer me the warranty that is supposed to go with the new amp. That raised flags. I was testing it with the Epi SG Faded I had grabbed and tuned. The more I played the Faded, the more I liked the guitar and the more the shortcomings of the VTX surfaced. A great amp, but highly computerized and expensive to fix even if you can find someone educated enough to figure out any problems besides simple ones. Suddenly I realized that the Faded SG was a fine example of an SG and that it could possibly fill the spot vacated by my Gibson Faded. I thought about it for a few minutes and decided to bring it home and I'm glad I did. It fits in with my amps and other guitars very complimentarily. I would definitely buy it again if the situation arose.

NWBasser
October 20th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Cool Duffy!

My neighbor bought one of those used off the local CL for $250 with a little Marshall practice amp. His SG is in absolutely new condition without the slightest scratch. I set the guitar up for him and have to agree that it is a remarkably nice instrument. Very fun to play.

I used to have a Gibson SG a long time ago. It was pretty nice, but I only had a little 15-watt SS cheap practice amp to use it with and I think that really limited the tone of it. I ended up trading it for a used Marshall bass amp.:thwap

Duffy
October 20th, 2010, 02:44 PM
I like the SG Faded as well as my other more expensive one.

I have a Marshall bass amp. An MB30. Very nice practice, at the house, type of bass amp that can handle the low B string on a five string and sound great. That isn't something a lot of amps can do - handle the low B on a five string. Glad I checked out a lot of amps with my five string Schecter Stilletto Elite before I bought an amp. I think the ten inch speaker has something to do with it being able to handle the low B, but there must be big speakers in high power amps that can handle it too - pro's would want that big low end.

ZMAN
October 21st, 2010, 09:55 AM
Duffy we have a local buy sell called Kijijji, similar to a craigslist. It has been a gold mine for me. I currently have 3 deals on the go for really dirt cheap prices on gear. This is the time that I forecast about a year ago when all the unemployment and savings are done. There are a lot of people out there who are selling some really good equipment and need the money FAST.
It is local so no shipping. I would put an add in any local buy sell looking for used Guitar equipment. You will probably get some junk replies but there are a lot of jewels out there. DSL100, DSL401, Avatar Cab, Super champ xd, Radial tonebone all for less than half of the going street price. Also a set of Brand new take off aluminum wheels and tires from a 2010 Ranger pickup for my truck for 600 bucks. The guy drove right from the dealer to an aftermarket wheel and tire place. There are literally no miles on them.
There must be something locally you can find online.

Duffy
October 21st, 2010, 11:30 AM
Z. Wow. What a deal on the tires and wheels. I know, I'm buying tires for my '05 Dodge four door four wheel drive pickup. Decent ten ply tires are about 200 US alone, each, plus mounting, etc. I talked to a guy last night that got a set of four almost new ones for fifty dollars, but not ten ply and nothing special.

I have called a few advertisers of guitars and amps lately on the local craigslist. These guys want almost full, brand new street prices for old used guitars and amps, and won't consider moving on their prices. I give them my number after I offer them less but they don't call back. Maybe I should keep at it. Some of you guys are getting some really great deals that way.

I had a shot at a real nice Heritage LP style guitar but didn't act quick enough. A local guy needed money fast. When I called he already decided to keep it. That was a mint "Kahuna" model and I was going to get it for a thousand. I know Chris "Kahuna" Bovard very well, by the way. It was a friend of his selling his signature model Heritage. He is probably the best blues guitar player around this immediate area. I - wanted - that guitar too, but dragged my heels. That was a, "He who hesitates is lost.", deal. You have to be able to spot those deals and make an immediate decision.

Did you get the SCXD?

I have been playing my SG's all the time. They both sound great and play great too, at least as good as my Gibson Faded. I wouldn't mind getting a Gibson Faded and put some real good pickups in it. It doesn't come with Burstbucker Pros. I was just thinking last night that a used one of those will come up. I see virtually no used Gibsons around here.