PDA

View Full Version : Used Agile Al-2000

Jx2
October 16th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Im curious now, so looking to see what other's think. I called a local shop that I knew had a Agile Al-2000 to see if they still had it. Id been tryin to sell my Schecter on craigslist to buy either a gold top or a silver burst. Figured if they still had it that should be a straight up trade....right? I mean they sell for $225 new, and the one they had was used.

So I called and they still had it. I asked the price before seeing what they thought about the trade proposal knowing they would have to see mine before finalizing a trade. He told me they had $269 on it, I thought WOW!, but thinking maybe they have it priced high hoping to basically scam someone who didnt know what a new Agile sold for. I went ahead and asked if that would be a even trade. They put me on hold to "research" which means see what used models have sold for recently on ebay. And told me Id have to come up with $50. I told him Id think about it, and then did some research myself and it seems most used Agiles are in the $150 range. Amazing how a place seems to be either clueless or scamming. Very sad in my opionion. I liked the place when I first went in there but after this Im almost afraid to get comfortable doing buisness with them in the future. I think Im just going to lower my asking price on craigslist and buy one off ebay.

Ok this meant to be to figure out what most Agiles sale for used, and turned more into a vent but I do fell better now that Ive got it off my chest.

marnold
October 16th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Not surprising. In a recently-closed local store I once saw a used SX Jazz bass selling for more than they go for new from Rondo. I'd tell them the precise location where they can put their trade offer.

ZMAN
October 16th, 2010, 04:25 PM
I have had that kind of reaction from some shops and I confront them with the fact that they are gouging. They all have computers to look up prices etc. so take a print of the one you are talking about. They can't deny it.
I would show them and if they still don't want to deal then tell them in no uncertain terms that they are gouging and that you will tell all your buddies and anyone you talk to on the internet. That usually gets their attention.

Jx2
October 16th, 2010, 04:46 PM
The thought of calling them back and saying I can buy that guitar for $225 nib did cross my mind. They will counter yea but it'll cost you $25 or better to have it shipped, and then I'll say thats still almost $20 bucks less than what you have a used one. Bottom line today I didnt feel like haggling, tomarrow maybe. I called it a local shop but its a hour drive. So going down there to try to "convince" them they have it over priced isnt something I plan on doing. I know on the weekends they normaly have a diffrent group of guys working than through the week so depending on what happens monday I might dunno yet.

NWBasser
October 16th, 2010, 05:08 PM
I saw an SX jazz bass for sale on the local CL for $295!

Over double the cost of a new one...:whatever:

ZMAN
October 23rd, 2010, 10:53 AM
Im curious now, so looking to see what other's think. I called a local shop that I knew had a Agile Al-2000 to see if they still had it. Id been tryin to sell my Schecter on craigslist to buy either a gold top or a silver burst. Figured if they still had it that should be a straight up trade....right? I mean they sell for $225 new, and the one they had was used.

So I called and they still had it. I asked the price before seeing what they thought about the trade proposal knowing they would have to see mine before finalizing a trade. He told me they had $269 on it, I thought WOW!, but thinking maybe they have it priced high hoping to basically scam someone who didnt know what a new Agile sold for. I went ahead and asked if that would be a even trade. They put me on hold to "research" which means see what used models have sold for recently on ebay. And told me Id have to come up with $50. I told him Id think about it, and then did some research myself and it seems most used Agiles are in the $150 range. Amazing how a place seems to be either clueless or scamming. Very sad in my opionion. I liked the place when I first went in there but after this Im almost afraid to get comfortable doing buisness with them in the future. I think Im just going to lower my asking price on craigslist and buy one off ebay.

Ok this meant to be to figure out what most Agiles sale for used, and turned more into a vent but I do fell better now that Ive got it off my chest.
I just saw a used Agile 2000 for sale on our local Kijijji. The guy was asking 275 and was throwing in a hardshell case for "free" . As you said they go for 225 new at Rondo, and the cases are 75 bucks new as well.
Not much of a deal. I told him those prices and never got a reply.
People might be factoring all the shipping and taxes as well. But in reality they are just overcharging.
Just for comparison puposes what would an Agile 2000 with their case come to with all taxes and shipping inside the US?

Jx2
October 23rd, 2010, 11:14 AM
Well normaly the case wont add alot, its a little extra weight is all. The guitars Ive bought recently online have been from the more known sites like Musicians Friend and American Musical Supply. They ship free 99% of the time. So basising off ebay I say $25-$30. Taxes change per state here in Indiana its 7 cents on the dollar. So roughly $21 on a $300 purchase. I'll probably buy a Agile someday. Id like to have a Silverburst and the Epiphone and Gibson are a little to much for my budget.

FrankenFretter
October 23rd, 2010, 01:26 PM
If that guitar is an AL2K, and not an AL3K, then they're crooks.

It's true, the Agiles, Douglas. and SXs seem to be selling (or at least listed) CL for more than they go for new. True that they are a fantastic deal for the money, but that's no excuse for charging more than Rondo charges for them new. I think that sometimes the seller just doesn't know any better and is selling for what he/she thinks is a fair price, but most of the time I think the seller is relying on folks just not knowing better.

Always do your research, kids.

Jx2
October 23rd, 2010, 01:51 PM
it was a 2k, I thought about haggling but whats the point? yea maybe I get it for a more fair value but with their starting price id still end up giving a almost new guitar price. Im just going to let it sit and when the time arrives try and find a new silverburst.

Katastrophe
October 23rd, 2010, 03:57 PM
Might as well buy new! Kurt sometimes as sales on ALs and other models... Once upon a time, the AL2Ks were $169, and he would have sales of certain models for $99. I've seen them on the Rondo website for $225 new, and a recent sale of some finishes down to $199... Keep your eyes open. Better deals are out there!

Duffy
October 24th, 2010, 09:00 PM
This is a brand new class A, first class AL 2000 on the rondomusic site for 179, no affln. I know you were looking for one. Looks like a good deal on a black LP:

http://http://www.rondomusic.com/al2000black.html

http://www.rondomusic.net/photos/electric/al2000blk4.jpg

So, you can still find deals on them new. Why pay ridiculous prices for used ones that might have problems?