PDA

View Full Version : Gil Scott-Heron - "We Almost Lost Detroit".

Duffy
October 19th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Fermi 1 breeder reactor, 1966 — Faded Giant

This incident was immortalized as the night "We Almost Lost Detroit" by both John Fuller's book of the same name (with the terrifying cover), and Gil Scott-Heron's groovy slow jam about nuclear nightmares.

FDC_ZM48S0Y&feature=player_embedded

What happened at Fermi 1 was the result of engineering mistakes, lax safety standards and simple inexperience at building nuclear reactors. The designers made changes to the cooling system without documenting them, so the engineers working on the reactor didn't know that there were extra dispersion plates in the liquid sodium containment tank. When one of the tanks blocked the coolant pipes, the reactor core overheated to 700 degrees F and partially melted down.
In a meltdown, the reactor fuel overheats beyond the point that the cooling system can handle. It eventually begins to melt the infrastructure surrounding it, such as containment casings, cooling systems and, in extreme cases, the floor of the installation. In a full meltdown, the fuel catches fire and sustains itself at about 2,000 degrees F. Although the term wasn't in use in 1966, the hypothetical (and technically impossible) chance of a burning reactor melting its way through the Earth all the way to China gives us the term "China Syndrome."
Fermi 1 actually sits in between Detroit and Toledo, but I guess "We Almost Lost Toledo" doesn't have quite the same ring to it. Faded Giant, by the way, is the codeword for a non-weapon nuclear incident like this (who actually goes around using these code words, I have no idea).

From: http://http://io9.com/5664390/5-times-we-almost-nuked-ourselves-by-accident

guitarhack
October 19th, 2010, 04:44 AM
Scary stuff. "There's things going on we just don't know".

MAXIFUNK
October 19th, 2010, 11:14 AM
I remember hearing something about this as child growing in the motor city.
Monroe county is damn close to Detroit in Jr. High Monroe Jr. High was one of the schools we played in sports in what is called the downriver area of the southern suburbs of Detroit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enrico_Fermi_Nuclear_Generating_Station

Duffy
October 19th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Thought some of you guys would like the article. Some of the other articles also make Three Mile Island, about sixty miles from me, look weak and under powered - unable to cut thru the mix.

Glad you found it interesting.

Duffy
October 19th, 2010, 04:18 PM
That Heron dude is a cool cat. You can hear him articulate his words and his songs are about things, things that require thought.

Ch0jin
October 22nd, 2010, 02:18 PM
Thought some of you guys would like the article. Some of the other articles also make Three Mile Island, about sixty miles from me, look weak and under powered - unable to cut thru the mix.

Glad you found it interesting.

I did indeed! thanks for posting.

I went to Chernobyl last year so I'm all read up on meltdowns :) Ironic how it's often the technology we fear, yet it's us humans who end up causing catastrophe.