PDA

View Full Version : Mack Skyraider + Hagstrom Swede

Robert
October 19th, 2010, 08:03 AM
I managed to sneak in a quickie demo after work yesterday... ;)

I used an Avatar 2x12 cabinet with Eminence Wizard speakers. The only effect used was a Strymon blueSky Reverberator pedal. I used a Canon Vixia HG-20 camcorder with a Canon DM-100 shotgun microphone for the audio. No post processing was done. Oh, and I used Mogami 2524 guitar cable. :)

mRcQ0hoqgKg

guitarhack
October 19th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Great sounds, Robert. Are you playing that through the Mack cab?

Robert
October 19th, 2010, 08:19 AM
I used an Avatar 2x12 cabinet with Eminence Wizard speakers. The only effect used was a Strymon blueSky Reverberator pedal. I used a Canon Vixia HG-20 camcorder with a Canon DM-100 shotgun microphone for the audio. No post processing was done. Oh, and I used Mogami 2524 guitar cable. :)

Jx2
October 19th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Very nice, gotta ask even if a little off topic. How you like that Swede? I almost bought one it was a beautiful white finish. They wanted $600 new for it and I thought I heard a short in the top toggle. They wasnt sure if it was the switch or the tone selector. Told me if I bought it they'd take a closer look and fix it if it was. Seemed to me they should of in the first place so I left it. They said they would be getting a new shipment of Hag's around X-mas so who knows maybe Santa will bring me one or a viking.

guitarhack
October 19th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Oooh, I have a 2 x 12 with Hellatones in it that would bring me to multiple eargasms with that amp on top. :drool

Robert
October 19th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Very nice, gotta ask even if a little off topic. How you like that Swede?

Answer: see http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=14212

Spudman
October 19th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Sounds great Robert. Where is the reverb coming from?

Robert
October 19th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Sounds great Robert. Where is the reverb coming from?

A Strymon blueSky Reverberator pedal.

duhvoodooman
October 19th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Sweet sounds, RR!

Can you give us a quick spec comparison between the Heatseeker and the Skyraider?

Robert
October 19th, 2010, 10:20 AM
The Skyraider SR-15 features a 12AX7 tube operating in a parallel triode configuration for the preamp.

Running the dual triode sections of the 12AX7 in parallel produces higher gain than a single section and lower noise than cascading one section into the other. It also produces very warm tube tone.

Another 12AX7 serves as the phase inverter and two 6V6s make up the power amplifier producing about 15 watts of power.

---------

The Heatseeker HS-18 features the same things, but two EL84s make up the power amplifier producing about 18 watts of power.

Eric
October 19th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Nice. I liked some of the gain-ier tones you were getting out of that. Good stuff!

MAXIFUNK
October 19th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Robert where are those amps made are they a Euro or Canadian company?

Robert
October 19th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Made in Canada! :canada:

Jimi75
October 19th, 2010, 12:21 PM
First of all, those HBs in the Swede are paring decently with the Mack. The sound is sweet and mello but does not lack higher frequenzies at all. I like the "bonedry" touch the amph has in the clean mode. The burn and melt modes are cascading very proportional adding the edge you expect from the name giving. I'd like to hear that clean mode with the Swede in neck position, tone totally backed, playing some jazzy stuff...could imagine that sounds very convincing.

oldguy
October 19th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Super nice demo, Robert.
The amph sounds great, and so does your playing!:applause
I really liked the fact you just played, showing the settings w/ text. Nicely done!:thumbsup
(I don't care for alot of the videos out there where every knob, feature, effect, pickup change, string gauge, etc. is detailed, w/ the end result being a half-minute of actual playing.)

Robert
October 19th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Thanks guys!

kidsmoke
October 19th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Super nice demo, Robert.
The amph sounds great, and so does your playing!:applause

+1

I really appreciate the way you demo your gear. Lots to hear, clearly identified.
:thumbsup

Katastrophe
October 19th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Wow! Sounds great...

You are amassing quite a lot of gear! You sure have come a long way since the Squier '51 / Vox AD50VT days...

Radioboy950
October 19th, 2010, 07:32 PM
The Skyraider SR-15 features a 12AX7 tube operating in a parallel triode configuration for the preamp.

Running the dual triode sections of the 12AX7 in parallel produces higher gain than a single section and lower noise than cascading one section into the other. It also produces very warm tube tone.

Another 12AX7 serves as the phase inverter and two 6V6s make up the power amplifier producing about 15 watts of power.

---------

The Heatseeker HS-18 features the same things, but two EL84s make up the power amplifier producing about 18 watts of power.

I threw on a set of headphones to listen to the clip, and that sounds REALLY nice. Great tasty licks too, as always.
What do your ears hear in terms of tone and "feel"?
If you could have just one or the other, which would you choose?

Robert
October 19th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Thanks for all the comments! As far as which I would pick... hmm... I honestly don't know. The jury is out. I think I need to play both of them more!

I think the Skyraider sounds better at lower volumes than the Heatseeker, which wants to be turned up more. Perhaps it has to do with the different power tubes, I dunno.

Katastrophe
October 19th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Actually, from these vids I'm finding that I like the 6v6 tone more, especially on the higher gain settings.

Quite educational, and saves me from making numerous trips to the local GAS station...

sunvalleylaw
October 19th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Nice! I like that amph with this guitar.

otaypanky
October 30th, 2010, 01:31 AM
That was fun, sounds great :thumbsup