PDA

View Full Version : Favorite distortion!

6stringdrug
October 19th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Ok, I realize this thread has been done before, but seeing as I just added a keeley modded ds1 to my rig, I thought I'd ask again..... what's your favorite DISTORTION pedal? I would like to keep this focused on distortion and NOT overdrive pedals.

The keeley mod in the ds1 is the bees knees to my ears. I am loving it, a whole new range of tones has been given to me and I cannot stop! I really liked the ds1 before the mod but it was missing something, just couldnt really figure it out. After the mod, whatever it was, is there now. Sounds full and clean and mean and sweet. Basically does what I got it for, distortion when I want it.

Sound off fretters.

duhvoodooman
October 19th, 2010, 07:52 PM
THIS ONE (http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/RRv2.htm).

Robert
October 19th, 2010, 08:13 PM
For me, it is the Maxon SD-9, closely followed by the Rabid Rodent. :)

6stringdrug
October 19th, 2010, 08:15 PM
DVM, that is a bad a$$ dist pedal!

sunvalleylaw
October 19th, 2010, 08:17 PM
THIS ONE (http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/RRv2.htm).

Ditto, this one.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=9271

Spudman
October 19th, 2010, 09:22 PM
In the same vein as all the Rabid Rodent folks, I will say my favorite is my Rat.

deeaa
October 19th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Distortions I haven'd had aplenty but the Biyang ODT tube distortion sure is one great pedal for a great price.

Eric
October 20th, 2010, 12:30 PM
My experience is limited, as I've only ever spent extensive time with a Turbo Rat and a DS-1, but I did really like that Turbo Rat. I should see if I can buy it off of the owner...

sumitomo
October 20th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I have a Rat but like my Vooddo Rodent the best! Sumi:D

Tone2TheBone
October 20th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Mine is the Marshall Guv'nor Plus.

Jimi75
October 20th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Maxon OD808 :dance

marnold
October 21st, 2010, 08:51 AM
I don't have a distortion pedal per se because I really like the distortion that I get au naturel from my amph. My OD2 gives it a little kick. I've got a fuzz pedal for fuzzier tones, but it mainly the amph for me.

I'll get back to you if/when I get a metal pedal. :)

Bloozcat
October 21st, 2010, 09:29 AM
My fav:
http://dirtbox.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Nady-TD-1-Tube-Distortion.jpg
Very, very similar tone to the Tonebone Classic, but much cheaper. Made in China I think is why. It's well made and it's been a solid performer for me.

sunvalleylaw
October 21st, 2010, 10:23 AM
This is timely. My son's new instructor, who is putting him together with a band made the request for me to get him a distortion pedal, among a couple other things.

He does not always want to haul his Peavey Vypyr, which has some nice distortion through modeled stompboxes and high gain amph settings, or I would just get him the foot switch for that amph. I also do not want to spend enough to get him a rodent. So I am narrowing it down to finding a used Marshall Guv'nor, used Proco Rat, or his instructor's favorite, an MXR distortion III, also used. They are all about the same price online. Thoughts?

I have not seen my son this excited about guitar in a long time. He had a run of instructors that did not last more than a couple months, and got frustrated starting over all the time. This guy is a long time local dad and is not going anywhere. He plays in a local cover band that does a good job of basic rock and roll, and has put together a successful kid band before, involving his son. His son's band rips on good old rock, including some convincing Slash solos. I am excited for my son to take a leap in his playing, and have a whole lot more fun doing it.

Ch0jin
October 21st, 2010, 07:23 PM
Thats an interesting looking box bloozcat, ima go check that out.

I find myself just shunning my distortion pedals in favour of preamp gain these days, but I am still looking for something that'll do the blues/rock drive sound I have in my head.

Fuzz wise I cant go past my modded big muff clone or one of my fuzz face derivatives

Boost wise I'm using a TS clone modded for clean boost and with fat mod engaged.

SVL,
How about that new BYOC kit, the basic tube screamer clone without all the bells and whistles?

markb
October 21st, 2010, 08:35 PM
Distortion? A brand new stock Boss DS-1 for basic rockist crunch. Boost with a TS-7 for screaming solos from clean amph :)

hubberjub
October 21st, 2010, 09:22 PM
My only true distortion pedal is an Analogman modded DS-1. In it's stock form, I found it useless. It would be fine if I had aspirations of starting a hair metal band. Too much mids with no bass. The modded version is much better. It still has way more gain than I'd ever need. I prefer a mildly overdriven amp with a good overdrive in front. For that I really like my Lovepedal Eternity. From what I've heard, it's based on a Tube Screamer circuit without the over boosted mids. It's just a very versatile pedal.

sunvalleylaw
October 21st, 2010, 10:26 PM
Cho, the instructor specified true distortion, rather than tubescreamerish overdrive. Otherwise it would be a thought. I looked at the BYOC mouse kit, which the Rodent comes from, but they are beyond my skill, and more expensive than I want to go at this point. At the BYOC price point, I would rather hire DVM to build one if I were to go that way. Mark, he could use my DS-1, but honestly, I still like to have it in my chain, especially to combine with my chorus for the grunge thing. I could get a used DS-1 all day long for about $30, but I am thinking about spending an extra $20 or so for a used Marshall, MXR or Rat.