PDA

View Full Version : Burn The Shoes!!

omegadot
October 20th, 2010, 04:32 PM
So I started running for real about 2.25 years ago and instantly ramped up mileage too fast and hurt myself. When I started back up I had some nice cooshy motion control shoes. At boot camp I was again issued these. I still get a lot of issue with shin splints, hip and groin issues.

Today for the first time, after reading a lot, I said screw this, put on my chuck taylor's and hit the road. After about 1.5 miles of really awkward adjustment I shifted to the front of my foot. I've never run so smoothly. I stopped after about 2.5 as I didn't want to over-work my newly utilized calf muscles but it felt incredible.

What do you guys wear?

Eric
October 20th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I haven't run in several months (after years of doing 3+ times per week), but I have been through my fair share of shoe brands and models. I now use New Balance 76x series exclusively. They're stability -- to prevent over-pronation I think -- and nothing else works as well or feels as good to me.

From what I've heard, that type of shoe is typically the best seller for a company, so they usually pump a lot of development dollars into making a good one. Kind of the pale ale of running shoes, if you will.

otaypanky
October 20th, 2010, 07:22 PM
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/clown-shoes.jpg I couldn't help myself, I had the pic on my Photobucket page

guitarhack
October 21st, 2010, 04:27 AM
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/clown-shoes.jpg I couldn't help myself, I had the pic on my Photobucket page

LOL

Thanks, Otay, for the giggle this morning!

Jimi75
October 21st, 2010, 06:25 AM
You wear Chuck Taylors for running? You mean those oldschool basketball shoes? Wow.

I usually wear Asics, Nimbus 9 or either 10.

duhvoodooman
October 21st, 2010, 07:27 AM
Hey, what the hell you doin' in my closet, OTP?? :mad

otaypanky
October 21st, 2010, 09:38 AM
HaHa, they go great with a clownburst Les Paul

I used to wear Chucks for weight training as they were the closest thing to being barefooted and the flimsy soles allow for a really good leg and calf workout. But for running or walking I would definitely go with something with a more sturdy sole and side support than Chucks.
Chucks are pretty good for playing drums too

Robert
October 21st, 2010, 09:42 AM
I run a lot. More now than ever. My weekly mileage is about 100 miles per week.

I need to change shoes often. Right now, I used Adidas Glide, but I'll use any good training shoe (Asics Nimbus, DS-Trainer, Saucony Grid, etc...)

Spudman
October 21st, 2010, 10:10 PM
I only run during the winter months but so far the best fit for me has been Saucony Grids. I like a wide toe box.

I ran across this story a while ago. It might explain why your Chuck Taylors work well.
http://www.physorg.com/news156063767.html

Aussie study challenges claims for hi-tech running shoes
March 12, 2009

People are seen jogging in central France. Australian researchers have admitted they had found no scientific proof that hi-tech running shoes improve athletic performance or limit injury. Newcastle University physiologist Craig Richards said the myth of the modern running shoe had exploded into a vast industry since the 1970s but a study found there was no scientific proof they worked.
Australian researchers have admitted they had found no scientific proof that hi-tech running shoes improve athletic performance or limit injury.
Ads by Google

End Your Knee Problems - The Facts, Options and Cures. How Pro Athletes Heal So Quickly. - MendMyKnee.com

Newcastle University physiologist Craig Richards said the myth of the modern running shoe had exploded into a vast industry since the 1970s but a study of sports medicine literature since 1950 found there was no scientific proof they worked.

"A collective psyche has developed around these shoes," Richards, the lead researcher, told AFP.
"It's so ingrained now that to even suggest that there's no evidence that they work gets a very rude reaction from people.
"But we searched all the sports medicine literature we could find looking for a carefully controlled trial measuring whether or not modern hi-tech running shoes decrease injury rates, improve performance or decrease the risk of osteoarthritis later in life.
"We basically couldn't find anything," he said.
While the shoes were subject to extensive biomechanical testing, Richards said his study -- published in the current edition of the British Journal of Sports Medicine -- showed they had never been examined in a real-world environment.
"You can't determine whether or not a shoe changes your injury rates in a laboratory," he said.

The shoes typically feature elevated cushioned heels intended to absorb impact, protect the Achilles tendon and stop the foot from rolling, but Richards said the claims had never been put to the street test.
Sports medicine, not advertising, that was to blame for the myth, he said.
"The manufacturers don't actually promote them as injury prevention devices, that's not where the message comes from. It's actually coming from health professionals," said Richards.

Richards said his team would launch a study on the benefits, if any, of such shoes later this year.
(c) 2009 AFP

omegadot
October 22nd, 2010, 01:15 AM
I run a lot. More now than ever. My weekly mileage is about 100 miles per week.

I need to change shoes often. Right now, I used Adidas Glide, but I'll use any good training shoe (Asics Nimbus, DS-Trainer, Saucony Grid, etc...)

If I went past my usual 2.5-3.5 and moved into your distances I'd likely resort to something with more padding. Right now I'm really working on my form and speed so I don't have to worry about that as much.